New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will elephants eat locusts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this is an odd question, but has anyone ever heard of elephants eating the grasshoppers from a locust? I have read about lions, leopards, hyena and jackals eating them and I know Arabian horses will do the same if necessary, but what about elephants?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
GunsCore, I certainly do not pretend to be an authority on African elephants, but I have doubt that they eat Locusts on purpose. That opinion however doesn’t mean that they do not consume large amounts of them when feeding on green vegetation infested with the bugs during heavy locust swarms.

....................................................................... Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think that if they eat enuf of them they can fly and turn pink Big Grin hilbily 2020

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Don't see why not. we had a plague here in the 80's and my old man and local farmers association got Gov aid to spray them.

They lay in piles. It was after a drought and everything ate them . Our horses our sheep , cattle . We even had sheep and horses aborting due to the pesticide used.

Roll Eyes

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many herbivores will take advantage of a source of concentrated protein if presented, I can't imagine elephants being any different. I once watched a cow track down and eat a litter of cottontail rabbits, one at a time.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9578 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote