New
Find
Notify
Tools

O' Connor and Cape Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was reading an old book by O'Connor where he mentioned that he did not care much to hunt Cape Buffalo. Just wondering how many of the hunters on AR feel the same way when they go to Africa to hunt. Seems to me that if I ever get the chance to hunt in Africa that Buff would be the one animal I would set my sights on. I can understand maybe not hunting Elephant or Hippo as these two game animals dont do it for me at this time but that could change.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't get much of a charge out of hunting cape buffalo at least when compared to elephant hunting. But that is just my opinion and only for me. I can see how others can get turned on by it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
For me, buffalo is the most exciting of all. Fresh off shooting five of the dangerous seven in one hunt, I can say that when the sticks go up, buffalo still come closest to making me lose it.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That's probably because O'Connor that time had to shoot up a couple boxes of shells to kill one buffalo!

(the much touted 416 Rigby!)

It's all good.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19339 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
As my handle suggests, I dig it.

I enjoy pretty much all of the different kinds of hunting I've done and in pretty much all the different places and for all the different species. But for me, buffalo is the best.

There is no doubt that a dangerous game hunt adds a spice to the mix that no non-dangerous game hunt has ever provided for me. And among dangerous game, pretty much everything about buffalo hunting appeals to me - I like where you do it and how you do it. It involves strategy, tactics, and skills. I don't freeze my butt off and I've rarely been bored on a buffalo hunt.

I think I would also enjoy elephant hunting but I haven't done that yet. I've run into numerous elephant while hunting something else, and it has never failed to get my blood up. My "fight or flight" response so far has always been "flight," but I can imagine what a charge you must get (no pun intended) if you intend to not only not turn tail but actually move in on them with nothing but that little piece of wood and metal in your hands.

I'll hunt lots of other stuff, but I'll never stop hunting buffalo.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's probably because O'Connor that time had to shoot up a couple of shells to kill one buffalo!

A barb against the much-touted Rigby? Sacrilege!!!!

Posts: 20149 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the Selous to hunt the Buffalo and at the time didn't give a rats ass to kill a bunch of anything else. I was lucky enough to get my Buff the first day and felt fullfilled. Then I got my education on the rest of the plains game. The Zebra truly impressed me, after thinking it would be a pushover. The Kongoni was very tough and packed a wallop and kept on ticking for two more wallops before giving it up. The Impala was a real challange and my trophy was quite impressive even today as it was the day I killed it. I would like to go back for the bigger stuff and will, but came back with a real education and respect for everyting Africa. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2356 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UUmmmhhh Buffalo!!! No body does it better baby.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
That's probably because O'Connor that time had to shoot up a couple of shells to kill one buffalo!

It's all good.

Will,
Wasn't it a 416 Rigby that kept you from becoming blood pudding under an ele at Charisa?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul C:
I was reading an old book by O'Connor where he mentioned that he did not care much to hunt Cape Buffalo. Just wondering how many of the hunters on AR feel the same way when they go to Africa to hunt.

I have taken two buffalo and spent some time hunting both herds and dagga-boys and getting up close and personal.

To be honest I found buffalo hunting over-rated. But that's just me.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor was one of my heroes.

But, I have heard that he did not pay for his African hunt, and probably that is why he said he did not want to shoot any more elephants or buffalo.

For me, hunting buffalo and elephants surpasses any other hunting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67642 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me, hunting buffalo and elephants surpasses any other hunting.

A big 10-4 on that. Everything else seems to pale by comparison.

Posts: 20149 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
For me, Elephant hunting is No. 1 with Buffalo being a very close 2nd. Everything else pales in comparison.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike after chasing buf 10 miles shirt sleeves only thing dry and still smiling. Couldn't be better.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

It's all good.

Will,
Wasn't it a 416 Rigby that kept you from becoming blood pudding under an ele at Charisa?

465H&H

One time it was a 470 and another time a 416 Rem.

I figured it was time to rile the Rigby crowd a bit. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
The thought of being on the ground, fifty yards or so from an old buff looking at you the way they do, trying to sort out in their mind if you're worth the trouble to come over and stomp the crap out of, when you can hear them and smell them makes them the whole reason to think about going to Africa.

I know that just getting to that situation is enough. Unless he came to the decision that I needed stomping and I had to shoot him, I can really see me sliding the safety back on and handing the PH the fee just for putting me in that situation.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't book a safari without including Buffalo!

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've done it once and I will do it again.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am once again not a member of the herd. I refused a Cape on the Limpopo, since I would rather hunt Bushbuck. I refused a western in Northern Cameroon since I wanted to hunt Roan. I did hunt the Forest variety in southern Cameroon and it was fun. I did add one to my request for a Tanzania hunt, but only if time permits after my main animals. I also refused one for another future hunt in Zimbabwe.

Like Whitetails and Turkeys here, I have no problem with hunting them, but only if there's nothing else available.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
There is too much hype and marketing involved with buffalo hunts to make it economically attractive to me. Not good value for money at all.

An African PH came to Australia to hunt Water Buffalo which are marketed as being 'just as dangerous' and 'larger' than African Buffalo and he thought it was like shooting Cattle in a Kraal.

When I have seen buffalo on my five trips to Africa I get the same impression. Maybe a bit more nervous and happier to run off.

They are a bit like Leupolds and Toyotas. Take off the 'name' price and your getting closer to realistic value.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Wow. Cape Buffalo like cattle in a kraal? You must have seen some different buffalo than me. Those damn things have been responsible for dragging my butt over some of the most inhospitable landscape, totally beating the crap out of me, and usually leaving me just like the picture of Mike above, soaked in sweat from head to toe! And it usually takes DAYS to finally connect.

I took my oldest son on a Buff cow hunt in 07. After 6 days of some of the hardest hunting I've ever done, he actually got physically sick from the exertion. He stuck it out and took his buff on the last day. It was one of the best earned trophies I've ever participated in.

Hunted Buff Bull in the Dande Safari area in 2010 for 6 days after all the other critters were in the salt. Ended up with blisters on all 10 toes from all the walking. Didn't score! Had a blast.

My first Bull in 06 was an effort in frustration for the first 6 days. Caught glimpses of them on 3 of the 6 days. Never saw them the other 3. Finally, on day 7, we found them on top of a mountain. A 3 hour stalk later and I made a 30 yard shot with my 416 Rigby right on the point of the shoulder. Heard the death bellow and figured it was over. Headed in the direction of the bellow only to find him facing us on the trail and very much alive. Took 4 more shots with the Rigby to get him off his feet! All this in thick stuff with about 20 to 30 yards visibility at the most.

To each his own for sure, but I've never thought of them as cattle in a kraal!

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
This is an example of why I'm a sceptic of the Buffalo 'industry'. I've been hosted in Zim and have in return hosted here, a family still farming north west of Bulawayo. One of the two sons has a good mate who lives east of Beitbridge with a rather run down property. On it are a sizeable herd of Buff that can freely come and go due to the poor condition of the farms fences.

Foreign hunters are often brought to the area by their PH's. The night before, the stock boys find and herd whatever Buff are around, down to the rivers edge. When the client arrives the next morning to 'check out a new area', they head off to search for spoor and come across the previous evenings movements. The PH goes into raptures, 'I know this Buff, he is a big boy, maybe we will be lucky to get him'. Guess what, 'Boom' and some foreigner has just paid obscene (not my words, the locals) amounts of money for an animal capable of being herded.

Now I don't claim this is the case for every hunt, but I'm sure there are plenty of outfits capable of operating like this. I'd shoot one like that but not for $10-$15K.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like most all kinds of hunting.

But by far and away, I prefer elephant hunting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own.

Sometimes I wonder if Jack O'Connor's shooting was a little overhyped. After reading a book of some of his classic pieces, he did more than his share of missing it seemed, although to some extent that seemed to be (from what I read) partially due to his habit of shooting at running game.

Also, from the same collection, it seemed that O'Connor was a little intimidated by buffalo. Given that Buff die from well placed bullets fairly quickly, it would seem 11 rounds was poor shooting. In the cases I have been involved with, they went down quickly with good hits, not so fast with poor hits.

As to the herding of Buffalo- that case sounds more like "Driven" rather than "Herded"- most animals can be moved by being driven to an area, and if driven to a decent spot will tend to stay if they are not disturbed for a period of time. Doesn't sound that different from having one of the trackers go and try and move game towards you by letting himself get winded and causing the animals to move towards you, although surely not that wonderful of a hunting experience for the hunter- although lots of folks pay big money for driven hunting in Europe...

Posts: 10840 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Jack O'Connor was one of my heroes.

But, I have heard that he did not pay for his African hunt, and probably that is why he said he did not want to shoot any more elephants or buffalo.

I believe JOC paid very little for any of his hunts, I doubt that would be the reason he did not value buffalo.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would vote with those who think buffalo are lots of fun to hunt. I have only taken two of them so far, but those two Cape buffalo required a total of 16 days of tough hunting not to mention the miles of tracking. I have enjoyed plains game hunting as well but for me buffalo come before all plains game species.

I agree with D. Nelson's comment in that it would be hard for me to book a hunt in an area with no buffalo on quota unless I was hunting strictly plains game on the edge of the Kalahari somewhere.

I have been close to elephant many times while hunting buffalo and I agree that they are very exciting also. I look forward to hunting elephant too one of these days.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Eish - no Nyati no Africa - in fact just give me any hunt that involves tracking...Buff is a bonus.

quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Mike after chasing buf 10 miles shirt sleeves only thing dry and still smiling. Couldn't be better.

tu2

...myself after 20 kliks and near heatstroke.

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given that Buff die from well placed bullets fairly quickly, it would seem 11 rounds was poor shooting.

Ol' Jack wasn't the only one. Thinking "the famous well-placed shot" is all that is needed can get you killed.

Barry van Heerdon and I put put nine or ten rounds of 470's into a buff bull at near point blank range before it went down.

Burnt my fingers. Those damn doubles. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Now that is one handsome man there...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me personally the reason I've only shot a few buffalo is because they are expensive, take time to find a good one and I'd rather put the trophy fee money toward species I have not hunted before.

I honestly think my first buffalo safari was such a complete experience that it fullfilled my need to kill a bunch more.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12940 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Didn't know O'Conner but corresponded with him as a teenager and it was he and Lucien Carey who suggested I go to TSJC and study gunsmithing. I actually came to Southern Arizona the first time because he wrote about it and reccommended it. This was in the 50's and when I was stationed at Ft Huachuca on TDY
I became more impressed with the state. My friend and classmate Clayton Nelson stocked his last rifle a 458. Clayton also built my first custom rifle a 7x57 as O'Conner was impressed by that caliber and my second and final custom rifle is a 257 Roberts which he also thought highly of. So I am somewhat connected in a distant way with Jack O'Conner. I have killed the total of one Cape Buffalo and did that more or less because it is the expected thing for an African hunter. Hunted hard for it as I think when a buffalo wakes up in the morning it thinks - where am I, I've got to find home - and starts walking and every time be blinks his eye he changes direction. On our final chase we tracked this herd for almost a day and when we caught up with them (because one of the trackers saw a flock of oxpeckers and said we should go in the direction they were flying) they were less tha 1/2 mile from where they started. I was shooting a 375H&H and from under 50yds I shot the Buff and it reared over backward and lay dead literally with all four feet in the air. Least pleasing kill I have ever had in Africa. Total anti-climax. I realize they can be exciting but they are not for me and I never tried for one again. There are really only 2 animals in Africa that I really LIKE to hunt and that is the Elephant and the Kudu.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack was an open country hunter who like to pick off his targets at long range.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it was jacks' article where they had the hell of a time with the buff that made me put it in such high esteem, ironic.

I must remember it wrong, I thought that the shots on that one were a combo of 375 and 470. If I remember right the total was over 8 shots. Anybody have the article handy able to verify facts?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine going to Africa and not hunting Cape buffalo. This is not because he scares me all that much but because if he is old he is smart, and when confronted too closely, even when not wounded, he is absolutely fearless, and as PHC once stated, “ Once he puts together a concentrated charge you must kill him or he will kill you! Even though he will rarely charge unprovoked he decides what constitutes provocation! He doesn’t scare me like the African lion but he can take a lot of stopping before he gives up the ghost, and you need to shoot your rifle very well till that happens! The possibility of feeling his wrath makes him worth every penny of his cost to me!
............................................... BOOM........................... holycow

The lion, on the other hand, in the bush scares hell out of me when he even looks at you from less than 100 yards and grunts trying to decide if you are worth taking out, especially if he is not on license, and you have to wait to see if he is only bluffing before shooting him. A gut shot lion can cover 100 yards in less that four seconds, and once he locks on a target he will not be turned easily! Eeker

Plains game is something that is simply time filler for me on safari! All that being said I find Jack O’Connor was one of the people who, like Bell, has caused so many people to use rifles that are too small for the game being hunted in Africa! “Well the 270 Win or the 7X57 will be all you need to hunt mastodon cause bell and jack said so!”

I really don’t think Jack was real, interested in hunting anything that was too big, or mean for the 270Win, and so his real love affaire with sheep, and goats. Old Elmer was right, O’Conner liked to hunt with coyote rifles and shoot from a distance. That buffalo probably shook him enough that he didn’t make the first shot well, hence the multiple shots needed to put the buffalo to rest! This made Jack want to get back to shooting sheep, IMO!

........................Cape buffalo, thick bush, and double rifles was my passion! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
On our final chase we tracked this herd for almost a day and when we caught up with them (because one of the trackers saw a flock of oxpeckers and said we should go in the direction they were flying) they were less tha 1/2 mile from where they started. I was shooting a 375H&H and from under 50yds I shot the Buff and it reared over backward and lay dead literally with all four feet in the air. Least pleasing kill I have ever had in Africa. Total anti-climax. I realize they can be exciting but they are not for me and I never tried for one again.

If he had completed the back flip and stuck the landing, would that have been better?

I'm lost . . . you stalked all day, caught the buff, got close, made the shot, and the buff died in spectacular fashion, and this is a bad thing?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will give one of my buff this much: took 14 bullets from my .416 and my PH. You could hear the wind sucking into his lungs when he breathed. He just wouldn't die. But he wasn't going anywhere, either.

After killing my first two with 2 bullets total, I wasn't very impressed. But that guy was tough.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If you will read you will see I said 'least pleasing' never said it was bad or anything except what it was,the least pleasing of most of my hunts,this COULD be because of all the hype about what a challenge they are. I don't really know, I only know I don't find them particularly challenging or desirable to hunt. I LIKE hunting plains game and make no apology for it. I don't choose to hunt from long distance primarily because i'm not that good at judging distance and particularly wind drift so I tried to keep all my shots well UNDER 200yds and usually managed to with the assisstance of a good PH and good trackers. You shoot what pleases you and I will shoot those animals I wish to and we will both have satisfying safari's.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
ElePhants aré my cup of tea.please hunt fuel close range. From 5 to 17 meters and you will see .... Adrenaline to its essence. Specially in the rainforet. Advice,NOT FOR SISSY's

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote