THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Boddington on African Rifles- Historic Rifles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington on African Rifles- Historic Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys
Thought you might enjoy an update on our newest DVD project, and a couple of pic’s of a couple of Africa’s most historic rifles that will be included in the film. Boddington On African Rifles will be available in mid November and it is going to be made to order for those guys who enjoy the guns as much as the game. It will be the most comprehensive film of it’s kind ever produced, and we are really enjoying the editing process. I included a pic of one of the more historic rifles that you will see in the DVD. I am holding Fletcher Jamieson’s .500 Jeffery . Fletcher and this gun were much discussed in Taylors book , and yesterday the owner , our good friend Bill Jones brought the rifle to Texas for filming . I , along with my partner Tim Danklef got to put a few rounds through this historic rifle and what a joy it was. By the way, it is a tack driver! This rifle accounted for over 300 elephants and it was a honor to look down the sights of such a treasure. We also have Carl Akley’s William Evens in action during the film. The same for John Taylors .450 N.E by John Wilkes, including footage of it's current owner Len Guldman who took a big Botswana tusker with Ivan Carter with the rifle
This is more of a hardware film, with all of the relevant calibers covered, but there is a lot of shooting of various game to make points on caliber, bullet selection, and action type. Everything from .222 to 700 N.E.
Just thought I would share this with you and hope you enjoy. By the way, I just returned from a long haul in Zambia and Mozambique. Got a heck of a sable 44 1/2 inch along with some other stuff. I will post a report soon.
All the best
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Well that sounds like a great project, can't wait to see it since I'm very interested in the old rifles.

I just bought a .500 Jeffery myself to go along with a .404 Jeffery and a .318 Westley Richards. I just wish I could see the dang iron sights!

Congrats on the sable (that sounds like a big one) and show us a photo when you can.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Look forward to a new DVD featuring rifles on safari... almost as good as Vargas girls! And just in time for Christmas and the show season. Perfect timing and just a coincidence I am sure!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

you are a dog!! You shot these rifles and didn't even call me to come down and help.
I am green with envy. If you have time, consider contacting BigDoggy700 here and ask about including his Owens-built four-bore double. I shot it, and with the 26lb empty weight it was not bad. Left no bruise or discomfort. I look forward to the DVD.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Dave I may not be an expert, but I think the butt of the rifle is supposed to be on your shoulder when you shoot!!!! Big Grin Sounds like an interesting flick!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great rifle Dave, looking forward to having that part of the fine rifles on the film.Many will like it very much.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it. I was kinda hoping that there would be a "Safari Rifles" dvd.

Only deal is that it'll have to be six hours long to do the subject justice. Not that that is a bad thing!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McCray:
Looking forward to it. I was kinda hoping that there would be a "Safari Rifles" dvd.

Only deal is that it'll have to be SIX HOURS LONG to do the subject justice. Not that that is a bad thing!

I support McCray's thinking times two or more! I hope the coming film is a great one.

SIX HOURS is short! Film Maker Ken Burns [The Civil War, Jazz, Baseball] makes his films

12 - 16 hours long if I recall correctly, and they are broadcasted in two hour segments on

public television stations. They're fine examples of film making too let me say. How many

of us would say 12 - 16 hours of footage showing safari rifles on display and being used as

they were designed to be used, on game, is too much? Not many I'll bet...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Dave, I recall reading somewhere that a more recent times buyer bought a double rifle and when he took the buttpad off there was a folded up note by Fletcher Jamison himself listing various game taken with the rifle. Tell Bill there maybe a similar treasure with his. Probably not as he was accidently killed before he was finished with that beautiful .500.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Dave this is the film I have been waiting for!That is one of the things I've always liked about Boddington's books, and films on Africa. They always include some verbage and footage on the guns. I like that addtion far more than the same amount of print, or footage of the usual "rack-um, and stack-um" that seems to be in most films, and books on African hunting!

Can't wait for the new disk! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any release date yet?

Thanks

Posts: 146 | Location: CA. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks for the heads up... Sure looking forward to it...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll buy two...one for my hunting buddy and one for me. Now I know what I'm getting him for Christmas.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote