New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 FWS Leopard Permit for Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FYI, I have an application pending for a leopard permit for an April 2017 hunt in Zimbabwe. Upon inquiry as to its status, my agent received today the following email reply from FWS. We're trying to obtain clarification as to just what this means but no further info from FWS as yet.

"On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 4:11 AM, Hubbard, Rogelio <rogelio_hubbard@fws.gov> wrote:
Hello,

Your application is on hold for it needed some finding for the year of 2017.

Respectfully,
Rogelio"

This is all that was stated in the email.

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I hope Rogelio goes on the cut list. He can't even write an intelligible sentence.

Hope you get it cleared up and your permit on the way.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the only additional info from FWS that we've so far been able to obtain; it was received late this afternoon.

"On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Hubbard, Rogelio <rogelio_hubbard@fws.gov> wrote:

I do not know the answer to your questions because it could be soon or longer for the findings for 2017.

Respectfully,
Rogelio"
-end-

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My broker will be sending my application soon. Also for an April hunt in Zimbabwe. We shall see the response that I receive.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Has this information been forwarded to Conservation Force?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7616 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes as to Conservation Force.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update. My import agent received today from USFWS my leopard import permit for a Zim hunt next month. It was initially delayed pending an additional finding by USFWS as noted above. I do not at this time have any details as to what was done for the additional finding.

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMZ:
Update. My import agent received today from USFWS my leopard import permit for a Zim hunt next month. It was initially delayed pending an additional finding by USFWS as noted above. I do not at this time have any details as to what was done for the additional finding.

Additional finding: The new Secretary of the Interior is not going to tolerate this shit - hopefully ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Zim hunt for kitty also, mine is May 1-14. Might you be willing to share the summary info you used in your USFWS CITES import permit app that resulted in successful approval? I want to copy your efforts if you provided data or justification for the positive economic and conservation benefit of the hunt, etc, etc.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rookhawk:
I have a Zim hunt for kitty also, mine is May 1-14. Might you be willing to share the summary info you used in your USFWS CITES import permit app that resulted in successful approval? I want to copy your efforts if you provided data or justification for the positive economic and conservation benefit of the hunt, etc, etc.

My leopard application for the import permit I just received relied entirely on the recent submissions made by Conservation Force to USFWS as to why there is no justification for FWS to make a detrimental finding as to southern African leopards (it's my understanding that as to leopards there is no requirement of an enhancement finding as with lions and eles). I'm told that the FWS has, in fact, made a determination of NO detrimental finding as to leopards (other than the issue is apparently still open as to RSA), at least for 2017, thus they are again issuing import permits for areas other than RSA. I personally believe you'll be fine if you state in your app something to the effect of "Please see the information previously submitted to FWS by Conservation Force as to southern African leopards, all of which is incorporated herein by this reference." If you want to attach a copy of it to your app I'd contact CF for assistance.

You can also find the CF info here: http://media.wix.com/ugd/87ac6...9e04a36bafb467c7.pdf

The folks who are Conservation Force are doing a tremendous job, day in and day out, representing our sport and preserving our commitment to true wildlife conservation, and to our hunting rights and heritage. True warriors and heros on the wildlife conservation front.

posted Hide Post
The DSA made the necessary non-detriment finding for leopard for 2017 and for all countries except South Africa which has closed it for 2017. There should be no further delay for Southern and Eastern Africa this year. THE FWS is making an annual determination and another will have to be made for 2018. We have been tracking the closely because the antis made notice of intent to sue. We are geared up to intervene at any such suit.

Posts: 22 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 26 February 2016Reply With Quote