THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    THE MAGIC OF MUNYAMADZI - ON SAFARI WITH ANDREW BALDRY & THOR KIRCHNER

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE MAGIC OF MUNYAMADZI - ON SAFARI WITH ANDREW BALDRY & THOR KIRCHNER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

This story of adventure was meant to be published a while ago. Unfortunately I was flattened by an African parasite that caused a lack of energy for many weeks.

For some years I have visited the southern part of Africa twice a year; a non-hunting journey early on in the year and a hunting ditto later that same year.

Usually in March with a group of non-hunters, participants I “target” and invite to join me on an adventure that they cannot book anywhere.

I like to do walking safaris in areas where no other tourists are present, where 5 star lodges are not where we stay, where Africa with all her sounds and smells surround us. Where Africa gets under your skin. It has turned out to be a huge success.

It was time to visit Zambia – a country that has been high on my wish list for years.

So I wrote to Andrew Baldry.

To make a long tale short, Andrew replied what I’d hoped but not counted on, that he would host with Thor Kirchner at Munyamadzi my group in March 2015. The Kafue was just too wet this time of year.

As a hunter, I also wanted badly to see the area and not least meet the gentlemen who offered hunting at Kafue and Munyamadzi.

Some huge trophys have been taken at Munyamadzi, remember the very large bushbuck.

Arriving at camp, we were blown away by the beauty of the area.

The Luangwa River – the hippos welcomed us with their noses above water; the puku on the opposite bank as well.

Munyamadzi Camp is very attractive, the chalets inviting and charming, and all with a view of the Luangwa.

The whole camp is classy, a pleasure to be in. The dining area, the bar and the sun downer corner, lit up after dark by large candles placed in lanterns.

Our cook was outstanding; we enjoyed the finest meals, very varied and all great tasting. Thor had built a pizza oven right next to the sun downer area and one night we did a “do your own pizza”. That was another huge success.

We had been warned it would be green and wet. And so it was, also hot and humid. Black cotton soil stopped us frequently, this will get you dirty as you get out pushing, and with grass taller than an elephant stands it had us wondering as we walked.

We enjoyed an adventure never to be forgotten, the magic of the area was obvious. Dramatic skies every night at this time of the year; thunder and lightning as only seen in Lord of the Rings. The colors were breathtaking.

Mornings of driving around, getting off to walk (or push). Tracking lions with luck, bumping elephant albeit a very surprised one. That encounter had everyone’s attention! A kudu spotted here, an impala there. A slinking lion, a lazy croc.

The fun was that this was so very different from all other previous adventures and walking safaris that I have participated in. There was no pointing, buffalo on your right, elephant on your left; they may have been there, but impossible to see. We had to use our imagination, study the tracks carefully and listen to the birds. Oh the birds, so many seen, a birders paradise.

Andrew and Thor arranged a number of other great activities for us. We fished, from ponds and from the Luangwa. Some went hunting for camp meat. We swam the pools above Munyamadzi, and had brunch on the rocks between dips. We had the time of our lives.

Driving out of Munyamadzi, we stopped for brunch at Chitope Lagoon, munching through our freshly made bacon sandwiches face to face with hippo and an array of varied birdlife. A Thorneycroft giraffe was spotted just after.

Andrew Baldry is a true gentleman, never missing a step in order to service his clientele. He mixes a mean g&t, has a lot of tales to tell, a man of the bush with humor and class. Thor Kirchner, Danish roots and all is a pleasure to be around. He possibly has the best overview of a camp the size of Munyamadzi I have ever experienced.

Thank you very much Andrew and Thor for all you did to make this trip a very special one.

We returned to Lusaka, enjoyed a night at Pioneer Camp and next day transferred to Johannesburg. We were continuing our adventures at another private camp, the Eco Bateleur Camp out of Timbavati and stayed the night at Africa Sky Guest House before our flight to Hooedspruit next day. We had the pleasure of sharing a fire with Martin and Candy Pieters that night. So very nice to meet them both, Candy, the person who had provided my daughter Julia and I with the best stay over in Victoria Falls last year after our hunt with CMS.

I will be returning to Munyamadzi in November to do a bit of hunting. My youngest daughter Julia, a talented photographer, will be joining me and capture the magic of Munyamadzi at that specific time of year. Stay tuned for more.

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Very cool

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looked to be a very fun trip!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to everyone. Well done.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Great to see everyone having so much fun.

That is how it is supposed to be. beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Mej,

Thanks for sharing. Hope you are now over your "bug". Andrew wasn't feeling so well the last I talked with him either.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more outstanding pictures and another great report!
Outstanding.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Some really great pics. Thanks for sharing

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I have got to book with Andrew!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, MEJ. Keep well.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mej;

Thanks for sharing another fantastic adventure with many wonderful memories.

I'll look forward to Part 2 (The hunt)!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like both PHs had their hands full with the women out fishing them as such!! Love the picture with Andrews hand on his waste ( bloody hell she's got another one, Thor catch something will you!)

Great job ladies!!

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photos!

That bushbuck is amazing! I would never hunt bushbuck again if I got something like that!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mej,

I'm primarily a hunter but have done some photo touring also. Getting away from the crowd is the way to do it and the Luangwa is a magic spot to do just that.

Well done.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
A very nicely organized and executed trip!

Beautiful pictures.

Andrew looks like he's in his glory!

If you don't mind discussing, what sort of parasite and how do you think it was transmitted? (mosquite, tsetse, fresh water...). I hope and trust you are feeling better and whatever they gave you knocked it out for good.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Written almost as beautifly as the pictures are.
Thanks for sharing your great trip with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'd like to participe in a trip like this one day. Excellent.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a delightful report and the excellent photo's.
Looking forward to our adventure in November.

Posts: 463 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:

Beautiful pictures.

If you don't mind discussing, what sort of parasite and how do you think it was transmitted? (mosquite, tsetse, fresh water...). I hope and trust you are feeling better and whatever they gave you knocked it out for good.

No I don't mind telling what sort of parasite I (and the others) were infected with. It is a fresh water parasite. Schistosomiasis is the name of the infection. It can take up to fifty days to determine and it therefore took almost two months before we received treatment. It is a nasty parasite.

All but one in the party jumped into the refreshing pools in the cliffs above Munyamadzi Camp. It was hot and we were too carefree. I completely forgot what I know, never swim in freshwater.

Thank you for your post, I am fine by now, we all are. Getting into shape for hunts coming up in November.

Kind regards
Jytte

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mej:
quote:

Beautiful pictures.

No I don't mind telling what sort of parasite I (and the others) were infected with. It is a fresh water parasite. Schistosomiasis is the name of the infection. It can take up to fifty days to determine and it therefore took almost two months before we received treatment. It is a nasty parasite.

All but one in the party jumped into the refreshing pools in the cliffs above Munyamadzi Camp. It was hot and we were too carefree. I completely forgot what I know, never swim in freshwater.

Thank you for your post, I am fine by now, we all are. Getting into shape for hunts coming up in November.

Kind regards
Jytte

They must have a lot of ducks and geese in that area. I thought you usually had a problem with that in stagnant pools not running water?

Cheers Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a wonderful time you all had in a beautiful place. I'm headed there in September to hunt with a couple friends and this was a great primer. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a bush buck congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by mej:
quote:

Beautiful pictures.

Kind regards
Jytte

They must have a lot of ducks and geese in that area. I thought you usually had a problem with that in stagnant pools not running water?

Cheers Jim

Some of the larger pools upstream were brackish and indeed I did not think that Bilharzia was present but we all succumbed to the parasite and it was not a pleasant experience. Still I needed to loose a few pounds before the start of the season.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Somehow I remember "someone" saying her buffalo hunt in Zim last year would be the her last... Wink

Didn't think that would last long... Big Grin

Congratulations on an outstanding trip and report Jytte!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to do a trip like thisSmiler If I can hunt some camp meat, awesome Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Svinejakt:
I would love to do a trip like thisSmiler If I can hunt some camp meat, awesome Smiler

See the Hunts Offered forum.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Mej,

Thank you for posting this, very nice pictures

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeman:
Thank you for a delightful report and the excellent photo's.
Looking forward to our adventure in November.

Look forward to meeting you. We will have the finest of times for sure.
Kind regards
Jytte

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bravissimo to one and all involved! Fantastic adventure, and very nicely told. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote