Notify
Tools

Response from Camping World
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Then do not come back! We do not need you as a customer. You simply do not understand our stance on Trophy Hunting and it is fine to lose customers over that."

He must have been the first graduate of the 'new wave' of business classes ushered in by HRH Obama.

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
We might be starting to get through to Mr. Lemonis. Here is the reply I received this morning:

"Good Morning,
I wanted to take time this morning to respond to the numerous email's I received over the weekend.
First and Foremost I want to appoligize for offending all of you. That was not my intent.
To be clear, and for the record, I am not against hunting. I am in favor of legal hunting. Additionally, I am well aware that if it were not for the hunting community, our preservation of wildlife and conservation of the areas would be much further behind where it is today. I am in full favor of one thing, ones right to choose what he or she does.
I realize that I have upset many of you and that was not my intention.
The purpose of this letter this morning is not driven by business but my concern that people feel that I would question their rights or their choice to live their life the way they want.
Lastly, as my apology is sincere, I would ask that feedback that threatens me or my family stop. The passion behind this issue is clear and for the record I agree with your rights. This does not however warrant some of the very threatening email's regarding my safety or anyone else's.
Again, I sincerely appoligize for offending any of you. I realize that most of you will not accept this and I hope over time we can reconcile.
Marcus"

Not sure what threats he might have received and that is clearly over the line, but I do think he is finally recognizing the mistake made by his uninformed choice. Note that this response finally omits the uninformed argument about endangered species.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
He might have been leant on from above.

His statement in Baxter's post says it all.

He does NOT like trophy hunting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:
We might be starting to get through to Mr. Lemonis. Here is the reply I received this morning:

"Good Morning,
I wanted to take time this morning to respond to the numerous email's I received over the weekend.
First and Foremost I want to appoligize for offending all of you. That was not my intent.
To be clear, and for the record, I am not against hunting. I am in favor of legal hunting. Additionally, I am well aware that if it were not for the hunting community, our preservation of wildlife and conservation of the areas would be much further behind where it is today. I am in full favor of one thing, ones right to choose what he or she does.
The purpose of this letter this morning is not driven by business but my concern that people feel that I would question their rights or their choice to live their life the way they want.
Lastly, as my apology is sincere, I would ask that feedback that threatens me or my family stop. The passion behind this issue is clear and for the record I agree with your rights. This does not however warrant some of the very threatening email's regarding my safety or anyone else's.
Again, I sincerely appoligize for offending any of you. I realize that most of you will not accept this and I hope over time we can reconcile.
Marcus"

Not sure what threats he might have received and that is clearly over the line, but I do think he is finally recognizing the mistake made by his uninformed choice. Note that this response finally omits the uninformed argument about endangered species.

I also recieved that same response --- to which I responded that if he is true to what he is saying ---- we will see Camping World return as a sponsor to "Celebrity Apprentice "--- which I doubt will really happen ---

Also recieved the "other " standard response still banging the endangerd species BS --- they do not have a clue -- nor me as customer

G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in favor of legal hunting.

Which is exactly what the Trump boys did, nothing illegal there. So, they should return to advertising on The Apprentice. But somehow the total response that he made sounds more like the powers above him were unhappy with the way he was responding and did not want to lose any business so they made revise his response. I still will not be doing any business with Camping World as I believe his attitude has not changed.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
quote:
I am in favor of legal hunting.

Which is exactly what the Trump boys did, nothing illegal there. So, they should return to advertising on The Apprentice. But somehow the total response that he made sounds more like the powers above him were unhappy with the way he was responding and did not want to lose any business so they made revise his response. I still will not be doing any business with Camping World as I believe his attitude has not changed.

He is in the wrong job!
I just his bosses realize this and give the boot!

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Seems his mouth has been writing checks his ass can't cash; the bosses heard about it and here he comes, tail between his legs mollifying his statement.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Second email I sent Mr. Lemonis....

Mr. Lemonis,

I sent you an email over the weekend from my home email account.

In that email I attempted to rationally explain to you why your unilateral decision to withdraw your advertizing from “The Apprentice” based on a personally emotional response to some hunting photographs had lost me as a customer. In that same email I linked you to an international sportsman’s forum where I first became aware of your decision and suggested you may want to consider visiting the site to join in a dialogue concerning your choice.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/8131000371

I did not receive a response to my email and really did not expect one. I suspect you have gotten many emails. Someone did cut and paste your “apology” allegedly received as a result of an email sent to you. I certainly do not know if this message is actually from you but if it is I would like to point out some feelings concerning the response.

"Good Morning,
Marcus"

Here are the points I’d like to touch on…..

“To be clear, and for the record, I am not against hunting. I am in favor of legal hunting”

The Trump Brother were on a LEGAL hunt as I already outlined in the first email and the dollars they spent went a long way towards giving that wildlife in general financial value to the locals.

“I realize that I have upset many of you and that was not my intention.”

Of course it was not your intention but nonetheless, that is what occurred. Judging from other responses attributed to you such as….

Concerning the legality of the choice of prey animals…

“I respectfully disagree

I have pictures you do not

Marcus”

Addressing your level of concern regarding the effect of your decision…

"Then do not come back! We do not need you as a customer. You simply do not understand our stance on Trophy Hunting and it is fine to lose customers over that."

As I already noted, perhaps you did not actually pen these replies but please be informed that if you go to the forum link I provided you will find these replies are attributed to you.

Lastly….

“Lastly, as my apology is sincere, I would ask that feedback that threatens me or my family stop”

It is unfortunate if you actually received threats because of your decision. Certainly you could perceive the loss of my business as a threat, or my willingness to convince others to boycott the business you presently represent a threat, but I would hope no actually physical threats occurred. That said if you would like an example of the threats that come from the anti hunting crowd you need only visit the Facebook account of either Trump Brother. The posts are vile, threatening, and full of profanity.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DonaldJTrumpJr?sk=wall

Most posting to the Trumps facebook account are doing so from a stance of ignorance on the topic of big game hunting in Africa. I humbly suggest your decision on pulling the advertising came from a similar stance of ignorance on the topic.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have concerning the benefit of hunting to the wildlife of Africa in general. You now have two of my email addresses. I would also recommend that if your apology is indeed sincere that you consider voicing it on the link to the internet forum I provided above.

Cheers
Jim Wojciehowski

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the only 'endangered species' is Camping World. They shan't receive a dime of my money.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only regrets expressed so far by Mr. Lenonis relate to lost sales by irate customers....not apologies of fact, mistakes, sesationalism and inappropriate uninformed decisions.
Mr. lemonis has a long way to go to set the record straight, Imwould venture too long a journey for this pathetic man to make.
There will be other retailers who will hire him, but we might want keep an eye on his decisions at his new work, too.
DAL2

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
spent a lot of money with these folks in the past- note the use of the word "past".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed a couple things over the last few days. First, the Trumps Facebook site was unavailable for over a day. Now it appears to be all nice and sanitized. No comments good or bad about hunting on the wall. Second I didnt see any hunting pictures either. Please tell me these guys didnt cave to undue financial as well as other pressure applied by the less informed. I also notice that the gentleman from Camping World, and I use the term loosely once again, refuses to look at the possibility he might be wrong. I see no attempt to open a dialogue about what an "endangered species" is. He apparently has no clue as to the conservation value that sport ie trophy hunting provides. He also seems to have no idea that everything is utilized. Just because the hunter isnt bringing home the meat is it wasted because it went to feed a local village? Last lets not forget the money that goes back into the local economy. As we all know here if it pays it stays. No value to the locals it is just so much bush meat. No value, no reason to not snare and or poison large predators to end conflicts with the villagers. You will not convince them otherwise.
Now I would like to address the freedom of choice statement. It appears the gent only thinks it is valid if you agree with him. He pulled his money, his choice. Now I pull mine and I am damn sure not going to spend another dime with Camping World until there is either a regime and or a policy change. We need to support the Trump brothers in this. This isnt about rich or poor, it is about right and wrong. Many will try to make it about class warfare as well. this site is a prime example that it is not. We have thousands of members from all over the world from every economic class. The thing we all have in common is our love of the sport. This particularlly pisses me off at this point more than normal because I am currently unable to participate in the sport I love. Please if you have not already done so email Camping World and voice your opinion. No personal threats please. That is inappropriate and just wrong on so many levels. Second email or facebook message the Trumps and give them your moral support, I am sure they can use it about now.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

Mr. Lemonis,

In that email I attempted to rationally explain to you why your unilateral decision to withdraw your advertizing from “The Apprentice” based on a personally emotional response to some hunting photographs had lost me as a customer. In that same email I linked you to an international sportsman’s forum where I first became aware of your decision and suggested you may want to consider visiting the site to join in a dialogue concerning your choice.

I did not receive a response to my email and really did not expect one. I suspect you have gotten many emails. Someone did cut and paste your “apology” allegedly received as a result of an email sent to you. I certainly do not know if this message is actually from you but if it is I would like to point out some feelings concerning the response.

"Good Morning,
Marcus"

“To be clear, and for the record, I am not against hunting. I am in favor of legal hunting”

The Trump Brother were on a LEGAL hunt as I already outlined in the first email and the dollars they spent went a long way towards giving that wildlife in general financial value to the locals.

Of course it was not your intention but nonetheless, that is what occurred. Judging from other responses attributed to you such as….

“I respectfully disagree

Marcus”

As I already noted, perhaps you did not actually pen these replies but please be informed that if you go to the forum link I provided you will find these replies are attributed to you.

Lastly….

“Lastly, as my apology is sincere, I would ask that feedback that threatens me or my family stop”

It is unfortunate if you actually received threats because of your decision. Certainly you could perceive the loss of my business as a threat, or my willingness to convince others to boycott the business you presently represent a threat, but I would hope no actually physical threats occurred. That said if you would like an example of the threats that come from the anti hunting crowd you need only visit the Facebook account of either Trump Brother. The posts are vile, threatening, and full of profanity.

Most posting to the Trumps facebook account are doing so from a stance of ignorance on the topic of big game hunting in Africa. I humbly suggest your decision on pulling the advertising came from a similar stance of ignorance on the topic.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have concerning the benefit of hunting to the wildlife of Africa in general. You now have two of my email addresses. I would also recommend that if your apology is indeed sincere that you consider voicing it on the link to the internet forum I provided above.

Cheers
Jim Wojciehowski

Well done!!!!

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:

Mr. Lemonis,

"Good Morning,
Marcus"

“I respectfully disagree

Marcus”

Lastly….

Cheers
Jim Wojciehowski

Well done!!!!

But no response. I suspect he's hoping this will just go away like a bad dream.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never got a response either but if this guy thinks it will just go away he is wrong. I informed my parents who own an RV about all this and they have sworn to never buy from them again. They also spread the word to everyone in their RV club and it will spread further thru the all RV people as they all talk to each other thoughout their travels.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Has anyone found a usable e-mail address for Mr. Stephan Adams of Affinity Group. Apparently he is the Billionaire that owns 97% of Camping World and I would like to make sure he is aware of Mr. Lemonis' decision and the results represented here.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You can go online and find the customer service phone number of the Good Sam Club, which is the parent company of Camping World. I called their 800 number, then pressed option 4. I got a very pleasant young lady from Colorado on the phone, and told her of my displeasure with Mr. Lemonis and his stance against trophy hunting. They've obviously had a lot of calls, because she read me a canned response that she'd been given to read to customers. Once she was done, I had my say, asking that my message be delivered to their senior management. She actually read my message back to me, saying she wanted to make sure she got it right before sending it on. Give 'em hell guys! The fellows over on Monster Muleys are talking about organizing a sportsman's picket of the Camping World store that will soon open in St. George, Utah. Hey, if boycotts are good enough for the anti's, maybe they're good enough for us too.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it going guys, we need to fight with our wallets in these instances. Money talks and the anti's probably don't spend as much money on outdoors equipment as we do so we're in a good position to fight for hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone found a usable e-mail address for Mr. Stephan Adams of Affinity Group. Apparently he is the Billionaire that owns 97% of Camping World and I would like to make sure he is aware of Mr. Lemonis' decision and the results represented here.

Don't have an email, but here is link to his office (when is is not off running his vineyards in France).

http://www.answers.com/topic/affinity-group-inc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next time I am in Albuquerque (next week),I will go by the Camping World store and let the Store Manager know I and everyone I know will not be shopping at his place any longer until things change with their upper management. Will e-mail to the places listed here as well. Letting these folks know just how much hunters, fisherman and mainstream outdoors people spend with their kind of business can be a real drain on their bottom line if taken elsewhere, may wake them up?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC-Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ted Nugent had a conversation with Mr. Lumonis, which apparently helped the situation. This is the response that he got:

"As CEO of Camping World, I support all Americans who celebrate the time honored family traditions of hunting and fishing, and all choices of quality, legal, environmentally positive outdoor recreation. I know that millions and millions of families camp, hike, canoe, kayak, off-road, explore and enjoy all these wonderful activities and I feel a kinship with them. Nature heals, freedom is the end all and we here at Camping World are proud to be a part of that soul cleansing lifestyle. Marcus Lumonis-Camping World".

Joe Duckworth from HuntCast also spoke with Mr. Lumonis this morning. Here's what he wrote about that exchange. In the first paragraph, Duckworth is referencing a post that he made back to Nugent in response to Nugent's post above.

"First of all, let me apologize to Ted. I didn't realize that he was given a lot more info than was released in the statement that Marcus made yesterday. I wasn't doubting Ted, I was doubting Marcus.

Bottom line is he asked me to tell everyone that he apologizes to all hunters, everywhere. None of his comments were geared toward hunters.

He was pissed at the Trump folks, not because they were hunting (although he did say as a non hunter that they were unsettling to him) but because they caused a controversy without giving him a heads up that a shit storm might be headed his way from the anti's.

After spending 20 mins of the phone with him, I believe he is sincere, and is just naive when it comes to hunters and hunting.

I have agreed to help fix that, starting next week, when he appears on my show.

You all might consider sending him an e-mail or Facebook post, thanking him for being a stand up guy about it."

Posts: 100 | Location: Clover, SC | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC-Sportsman:
Ted Nugent had a conversation with Mr. Lumonis, which apparently helped the situation. This is the response that he got:

"As CEO of Camping World, I support all Americans who celebrate the time honored family traditions of hunting and fishing, and all choices of quality, legal, environmentally positive outdoor recreation. I know that millions and millions of families camp, hike, canoe, kayak, off-road, explore and enjoy all these wonderful activities and I feel a kinship with them. Nature heals, freedom is the end all and we here at Camping World are proud to be a part of that soul cleansing lifestyle. Marcus Lumonis-Camping World".

Joe Duckworth from HuntCast also spoke with Mr. Lumonis this morning. Here's what he wrote about that exchange. In the first paragraph, Duckworth is referencing a post that he made back to Nugent in response to Nugent's post above.

"First of all, let me apologize to Ted. I didn't realize that he was given a lot more info than was released in the statement that Marcus made yesterday. I wasn't doubting Ted, I was doubting Marcus.

Bottom line is he asked me to tell everyone that he apologizes to all hunters, everywhere. None of his comments were geared toward hunters.

He was pissed at the Trump folks, not because they were hunting (although he did say as a non hunter that they were unsettling to him) but because they caused a controversy without giving him a heads up that a shit storm might be headed his way from the anti's.

After spending 20 mins of the phone with him, I believe he is sincere, and is just naive when it comes to hunters and hunting.

I have agreed to help fix that, starting next week, when he appears on my show.

You all might consider sending him an e-mail or Facebook post, thanking him for being a stand up guy about it."

Has Camping World re-issued their sponsorship for the Apprentice?

Unless I'm mistaken he pulled the sponsorship because of some pictures he thought to be illegal hunting of endangered species.

He was educated otherwise in a sane fashion by my emails and well as your communication.

He has apologized with a boilerplate statement to some emails (not mine) stating he supports LEGAL hunting.

If that is true then why would he not, having now been educated to his mistaken information, correct his action that started this for him personally and for the company he represents.

If he does not re-issue financial sponsorship of the Apprentice he has not really apologized in my view.

He's looking for a win across the board. Pull the sponsorship and appease the antis, apologize and make statements about supporting hunting to appease the hunters.

You can't have it both ways.

The Trump hunt was legal, if you state you support legal hunting then you support Trump's hunt.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe any of that drivel after having read his responses to me and to many on this board as documented in this very thread.

As my father says: "Money talks and bullshit walks." Mr. Lemonis is learning that his bullshit has caused many to take their money elsewhere.

Thank Mr. Lemonis via email or Facebook?

For what?

"He was pissed at the Trump folks, not because they were hunting (although he did say as a non hunter that they were unsettling to him) but because they caused a controversy without giving him a heads up that a shit storm might be headed his way from the anti's."

The Trumps need to clear their legal hunting endeavors with him? Back in 2009?

His BOT should throw him out.

What a snake

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Mr. Lemonis!
He is lying because the shit has hit the fan!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
On a side note Mr. Lemonis should heed the fact that the anti's are usually all talk and no action.

They threatened a total boycott of all tourism in Alaska when Predator/Wolf control was instituted. They had "howl-ins" in some major cities. They even got free coverage of their cause on main stream media. Predator control stayed and tourism went up 18% (by memory) that year.

Note to Mr. Lemonis, if you actually followed the link I provided to this thread and are reading this...

I think you will find the resolve and follow through among the dedicated outdoor conservationists now boycotting Camping World and spreading the word for others to do the same, to be far more sincere than a knee jerk email campaign from the anti hunting contingent you have bowed to with your actions.

I chose not to send him this message in email because he has not responded to any I sent and probably is just deleteing the emails and hopes to delete this bad dream he has started.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Who are the really "big pocket" read mega rich anti hunters? I would be really intersted to know if there are many really wealthy & influential people who are anti hunting in the extreme.

I get the impression that most activists are fringe people and some university types.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt and have owned an RV for over 30 years. I have shoped at CW, no longer! I belong to a couple of RV forums, maybe I can stir up some discontent there to, as many of those folks are hunters and outdoors people also. CW should have just kept their oppinions to themselves.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
I hunt and have owned an RV for over 30 years. I have shoped at CW, no longer! I belong to a couple of RV forums, maybe I can stir up some discontent there to, as many of those folks are hunters and outdoors people also. CW should have just kept their oppinions to themselves.

Please do in constructive factual non-emotional manner. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just the facts! tu2 I have found posting such issues in a neutral manner gain the most support.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Who are the really "big pocket" read mega rich anti hunters? I would be really intersted to know if there are many really wealthy & influential people who are anti hunting in the extreme. I get the impression that most activists are fringe people and some university types.

For starters, just about everyone in Hollywood and on national TV news desks.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SC-Sportsman,
I think there is a good chance you are being co-opted into Lemonis' half-apology. I hope you don't think we will see you as the "honest broker" in this. Don't chase ratings with this smelly turd of an issue. "There lie dragons!"
Dave

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
This is their response to me:

Dear Ann Horsman :

To clarify our position, Camping World as America’s Largest Outdoor company, believes in personal freedom.

In this country, people are free to choose. This issue at hand is not about whether people should be able to hunt or not.

Our company is neither for nor against hunting.
We are for personal choice and having people enjoy the outdoors in whatever fashion they choose.

However, in our opinion, if and when the hunting of endangered species occurs, whether in the United States or abroad, it is not acceptable to even the most avid of hunters.
We remain strong in our conviction of preserving the outdoors, protecting our great country's lands and the freedom to choose.

Sincerely,

Camping World Customer Care

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There we go again.

"Endangered" species!

Can't these idiots get it through their thick heads NO ENDANGERED SPECIES HAS BEEN KILLED!

All animals were hunted under the CITES permit system.

One of Us
Picture of SC-Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAL:
SC-Sportsman,
I think there is a good chance you are being co-opted into Lemonis' half-apology. I hope you don't think we will see you as the "honest broker" in this. Don't chase ratings with this smelly turd of an issue. "There lie dragons!"
Dave

DAL,

Thanks, but I don't give a rip about ratings or playing a role. Just bringing in some additional information from another forum who is also pursuing this issue, and am not falling into the trap of believing that the situation has been rectified.

Posts: 100 | Location: Clover, SC | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
The following took place yesterday on a "webinar" organized by POMA, an organization I helped put together several years ago.

Camping World CEO Defends Himself Against Anti-Hunting Accusations

The companies Camping World and Good Sam have recently come under fire for being “anti-hunting” after they terminated their advertising relationship with Donald Trump’s show, “Celebrity Apprentice” after trophy hunting photos of Trump’s sons hit the spotlight.

The catch is that Good Sam is sponsoring an episode that is set to air in April 2012. Would the episode still air with their sponsorship? Good Sam and Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis said that the money on the episode has already been spent, but there will be no further advertising with the show continuing after the episode airs, although it’s not because Lemonis nor his companies take an anti-hunting stance.

Rather, Lemonis said in a webinar hosted by the Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA) that it is because of a poor relationship and poor communication over a couple of years with the show’s producers that he won’t be sponsoring “Celebrity Apprentice” any longer.

Lemonis also apologized about his comments published by TMZ which ignited the controversy surrounding the company’s alleged anti-hunting stance. Previously, Lemonis was quoted by TMZ as saying, “I am totally disgusted by the [hunting] pics I have seen and was surprised to see them … Money is spent but wow I’m really shocked.” Then, the report goes on to say that he insisted he “wouldn’t spend another nickel” with “Celebrity Apprentice”.

Lemonis told POMA journalists that he apologized for his comments made in haste and that they came from a lack of understanding or education on hunting. He first saw the photos when TMZ sent them to ask him for his comment on the pictures. At first he was shocked, but after he had time to think and educate himself on hunting he felt his chose his words poorly. “I never had a position on anti-hunting, I had a reaction,” Lemonis said. “This is an apology. I wasn’t making anti-hunting statements, but I was misquoted. I am 100 percent okay and in favor of legal hunting and fishing.”

While Lemonis has never been hunting, he sees himself as an outdoor enthusiast who mostly camps and has been fishing a few times. “I want to celebrate all outdoors recreational experiences. I realize my reaction created a divide…. As a non-hunter, I could be caught off-guard.” Lemonis said his immediate reaction was to be upset by the pictures because as a non-hunter, he is not aware what happens in the sport and in the lifestyle. “I was nervous about how other people, who are uneducated or informed, would react if they got caught off guard.

Lemonis even went on to express his interest in learning to hunt, but said that it would have to be in a safe, well-controlled environment. He turned down an offer to go hunting for the first time from his hunting-advocate friend Ted Nugent as he jokingly said he wants to learn to hunt in a “safer” environment.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In actual fact Elephant is one among the list of endangered species, hence the requirement for a CITES permit - the difference lies between 'endangered' and 'protected' which in the case of the African Elephant remains listed as Appendix I for most African countries whose populations have been hard hit by illegal hunting with exception of Bots, Namibia and Zim which are listed on Appendix 2.as their elephant populations are thriving and in excess.

The African Elephant is considered a 'threatened' species as opposed to its Asian cousin which is listed a 'endangered' and it would seem that some people see any elephant as an elephant and draw the wrong conclusion.

It could (and eventually will) end up as endangered/protected if serious measures to eliminate poaching and trading in ivory are not fulfilled.

CITES therefore offers Loxodonta Africana some form of protection through a defined quota system for each of the African signatories in in order to maintain its sustainability, the hunting of the species within the CITES parameters is therefore LEGAL and the likes of Mr. Lemonis & C0. need to do their homework.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
bsflag

I second that --

"not aware of what happens in hunting""--- wow -- where does this guy live? ---

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
quote:
bsflag

I second that --

"not award of what happens in hunting""--- wow -- where does this guy live? ---

Each time this nitwit opens his mouth, he digs a deeper whole for himself!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering how a guy who is the CEO of Camping World can be so uneducated as to who his market is. Sportsmen (hunters and fishermen) are a very large part of his market. He states that he is an outdoor enthusiast who mostly camps, but he has been fishing a few times. OK, so in other words, he is not a sportsman. If he has only been fishing "a few times", then he likely doesn't even own his own fishing gear. He sounds like maybe he's just a suit who runs a company. No wonder he was so uninformed regarding hunting.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote