Find
Notify
Tools

Safari plans finalized...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
To all my friends on AR and new members who have just joined...8 & 1/2 months ago I won a 16 day buff hunt here on AR..Now it is down to 5 & 1/2 months till I go to Tanzania and the Selous...with my wife...

All travel arrangements are completed and the itinerary is complete by Kathi...Will arrive in Tanzania on July 23, 06 and hunt starts on July 25th...The hunt was upgraded to 21 days, a life long dream come true...

I will be hunting for 2 buf, zebra, impala, warthog, Nyasa wildebeest, sable, waterbuck, hartebeest, leopard, lion, ele, hippo, and croc...

I will be hunting in R2 and R4 in the Selous..

I will be shooting a 375 and a 450 #2 double rifle given to me for the hunt by a friend... It is shooting very good, I even hit an X ring at 100yds with open sights..

So I am primed and ready but time has to keep going...Excitement has not let up...

I am making lists and reading about elephants.Lookiing at videos loaned to me by a fellow AR member from California Frank Martinez.

Here's a photo of the safari plans being finalized.

I promised to keep all in the loop of safari plans..

I, thank Saeed and all who have made this possible..

Mike & Cherie

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the hunt. Be sure you do not break your leg in the interim, as I understand there is quite a list of runners-up waiting in the wings... rotflmo

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Michael. I am sorry I wasn't able to attend Dallas but glad you are enjoying the tapes.
The journey there is the greatest part of the adventure and I know you will have many stories to share when you return.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Congratulations on the safari of a life time. I know you and your wife will have a wonderful time. There aren't two people in the world who deserve it more.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I hope that you both have a wonderful time and are safe throughout the trip. 5 1/2 months will be here in no time.

Good luck,

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike!

The best of luck and I hope you fill out. I'll be looking forward to pics and story on your return.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I hope you have a fantastic safari and get lots of notches on your cartridge belt!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I thought you might enjoy this:

“We get three sorts and periods of enjoyment out of a hunting trip. The first is when the plans are being discussed and the outfit assembled; this is the pleasure of anticipation. The second is the enjoyment of the actual trip itself; and the third is the pleasure of retrospection when we sit round a blazing wood-fire and talk over the incidents and adventures of the trip. There is no general rule to know which of the three gives the keenest joy.â€
Kermit Roosevelt, The Happy Hunting-Grounds, 1920.
(son of Theodore Roosevelt and companion on his father’s 1909 African safari)
http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/familytree/Kermit.htm

Good luck on your hunt and have a great time!!!

Sincerely,
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I had the pleasure this past July 4th to meet Teddy Roosevelt's great grandson Tweed, here in Wyoming Borough...As mayor I had the opportunity to speak to him and interject Africa among other things talked about...He was here to commorate Teddy's speaking for the Wyoming Massacre commorative festivities...the 100th anniversary of the President's attending.

Thank you,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I enjoyed meeting you at DSC and am sure you will have a great time on the safari. I'm looking forward to the pictures and report.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Mike, best of luck and leave some for Bob and I!
Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike: I think Terry C. said it best and I wholeheartedly agree. Is your top priority lion or elephant? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG Mike! I know y'all will have a great time!
Very happy for both of y'all!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Really impressive list but of all those species, the SABLE stands out to me like a Neon Sign. Hold out for a really good one.
Good Luck,
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

I will be hunting for 2 buf, zebra, impala, warthog, Nyasa wildebeestse, sable, waterbuck, hartebeestse, leopard, lion, ele, hippo, and croc...

Definately an ambitious dream list. It would be criminal in my opinion not to try for a Nyasa Wildebeestse on a trip to Tanzania. Hope your luck doesn't end with winning this Safari. We look forward to see what Africa gives you.

quote:

I will be shooting a 375 and a 450 #2 double rifle given to me for the hunt by a friend... It is shooting very good, I even hit an X ring at 100yds with open sights..

Great shooting. You are wise to practice. Was this shot off sticks? How about sitting and offhand practice? Getting some time in on both of those as well. Smiler The prep time is part of the experience. Sounds like your enjoying it.

quote:

So I am primed and ready but time has to keep going...Excitement has not let up...

I am sure you are well past "cloud nine" and have left clouds nineteen and twenty in the stratosphere. Smiler

You and Cherie have a great trip.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

The two cats are the priority with the ele being an animal of opportunity...

Big guy, I shoot the boomer from all positions..the X ring shot was off sticks and I practice at all distances and up close I shoot with both eyes open, instinctively...

Thank you all,

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mike

Good luck and hope you realise your ambitions and goals.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Best of luck on your safari! Is that thick manilla envelope you are handing McBragg your written contract??? bewildered (sorry, I could not resist!!). Sincerely, best of luck on your safari!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Best of luck on your trip!

R2 has some big hills...spent a bunch of time last year going up and down them...Hopefully, you will have time tn practice walking up and down some hills before you go...

I know you will have a great time!

Best regards,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
jjs,

will be climbing the hills here in Pa to get the legs for up hill walks..

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Mike. We expect a full report and lots of photos when you get back.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you Mike. You and your wife are in for a great trip.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, Mike.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Good luck on the hunt. Be sure you do not break your leg in the interim, as I understand there is quite a list of runners-up waiting in the wings... rotflmo

Big Grin When I walked up to PVT's booth, in Dallas, Mike and Cherie were there finalizeing the hunt! The first thing Cherie said was, "Im glad to meet you Mac, I was wondering what the guy who is going to break Mike's legs looked like!" Big Grin

She then told me if Mike broke his leg, and I went, I still had to take her! I told her I had my passport,ammo loaded, and tuff pact ready, and I'd meet her at the airport! Wink

I told her I had a standing call in to the Wyoming, PA 911 operator to call me the second Mike calls for help! thumb

Second place is nothing more that the first place looser! CRYBABY

jumping jumping jumping

Good luck Mike & Cherie, and pop just one wart hog for me! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, here's wishing you all the best of luck.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near the Daniel Boone Homestead | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Yes good luck on your hunt.

Can't wait to see the bag of trophies you come home with you lucky devil. Hoping for a nice lion, ele and buff. Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jjs,

will be climbing the hills here in Pa to get the legs for up hill walks..

Mike

Good luck and Godspeed, Mike. Remember that you are representing all of us PA deer hunters on this one.
George

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky you!! Have a great hunt and adventure. We'll look forward to your report upon your return. Big Grin

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the best whishes for the upcoming hunt Mike !
As the second runner up behind Mac, I knew my chances didn´t look to good, but I´m really happy for you to be able to fullfill this dream.

I´m leaving for Limpopo on saturday for my first African hunt... Big Grin

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Mike- I know you will have a great time. Like you, the anticipation of my upcoming safari is killing me!! Congratulations on winning!!

Looking forward to your report. Might be interesting to have Cherie do a report too.

What bullets did you decide to use in the .375?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote