Find
Notify
Tools

Four killed by buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
This was from another thread. That thread is on its third page and pretty much staying on topic, so I did not want to detract from it.

The details from the incident referenced below would be interesting, not the gory part, but 4 people killed by a wounded buffalo. Does anybody recall the particulars of this?

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle One:
The outfitter and lodge for whom I work does not himself use, nor does he permit any staff or clients to use solids on cape buffalo. He, and I justly believe, cites too many instances of solids passing through the buffel with minimal damage. There was a particularly tragic case several years ago where a buffel killed a PH, the father/son client team, and one of the trackers. The first shot, it turns out would have been ultimately fatal, but the buffel had the reserve to absorb another six rounds of solids and wreak carnage. My personal experience, as a former hunter and now staff member and back-up shooter, is that a well-constructed bullet like a Hornady DGX gets the job done with a greater degree of safety for the hunt team.

PHASA Member
SCI Life
NRA Benefactor

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today's premium softs make solids unnecessary for buffs.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
This was from another thread. That thread is on its third page and pretty much staying on topic, so I did not want to detract from it.

The details from the incident referenced below would be interesting, not the gory part, but 4 people killed by a wounded buffalo. Does anybody recall the particulars of this?

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle One:
The outfitter and lodge for whom I work does not himself use, nor does he permit any staff or clients to use solids on cape buffalo. He, and I justly believe, cites too many instances of solids passing through the buffel with minimal damage. There was a particularly tragic case several years ago where a buffel killed a PH, the father/son client team, and one of the trackers. The first shot, it turns out would have been ultimately fatal, but the buffel had the reserve to absorb another six rounds of solids and wreak carnage. My personal experience, as a former hunter and now staff member and back-up shooter, is that a well-constructed bullet like a Hornady DGX gets the job done with a greater degree of safety for the hunt team.

PHASA Member
SCI Life
NRA Benefactor

Mike I don't remember that particular incident but there were many such happenings that killed and mamed several at a time!

Sometimes it makes little difference what caliber you use, or how the bullets are constructed. If the bullets don't hit the CNS sometime in the exchange it is amazing how long a cape buffalo can stay on his feet, and reek havoc! Once that adrenaline get flowing those guys are hard to put down sometimes!

My first encounter with Cape buffalo, I had some double rifle hand-loads with solids, and had loaded some soft points in case we ran onto something soft while carrying the double. My PH said "save the solids for hippo, and load with the softs for buffalo. The softs kill buffalo better than solids!" He was right, I happened on to a good buff while carrying my 375 H&H FN Mauser, loaded with 300 gr Nosler partitions, and made a one shot kill from about 75 yds, and the buff made 30 yds before piling up stone dead.

Most PHs today are leaning toward the expanding mono-metal solids, and that is what I'm loading in all my doubles today!

See you at DSC if you are coming! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alistar Travers and his client were killed in the valley back around 1990..but I cant remember 4 people being killed in one event?

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the correct practice was soft for the first (side on) shot, solids for the raking shot (or the head on).

And solids always on elephant, for all shots.

And finally, give the animal time to die, don't get on it while it's still full of adrenaline.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Today's premium softs make solids unnecessary for buffs.

Echoed by many PH's I talk to, have not heard one recommend solids in a very long time.

There is a time and place for a solid on a Buffalo, but it's not nearly as common as it once was.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
While I appreciate the commens about softs verses solids we will beat that dead horse until it is dust.

Trying not to be morbid, I was really interested in the story of four people being killed by a single buffalo. Sounds like something straight out of a Peter Hathaway Capstick historical document.

BTW, I will always carry solids with me while hunting buffalo.