New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best All-around African Cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read numrous times in the past that the .375 H&H magnum is the golden standard for African all-around use. I just read Boddington's "Safari Rifles II" which states the same thing as per the professional hunters interviewed. I, however, am beginning to think that the .416 calibers or perhaps the .458 Lott may be the better all-around calibers/cartridges as they can be loaded with lighter bullets at faster speeds and can still be loaded with traditional weight projectiles for heavy work. Is this flawed thinking on my part or do many of you feel the same on this matter? I did say all-around AFRICAN use, not world-wide use. For world-wide use, I guess the .375 H&H may be the answer but for strictly African use.......?

posted Hide Post
It's flawed thinking if you're thinking of using significantly different bullet weights for different species.

If you go on safari as a client, are you going to have multiple scope or rifles zeroed for different bullets? How can you be sure you have the correct combination in hand when you have to shoot at a Kafue lechwe at 325 yds. or when you have to shoot an elephant at 10yds.?

You can make a case for the .416 Remington, .416 Rigby, et al. being a 'better all-around' cartridge, but the .416s and .458s are generally beyond the recoil threshold of most shooters.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was looking for that all-around cartrige for a hunter (not PH backing) I would prefer the 416 Taylor, using Barnes X's and solids shooting to near same point of impact.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I would agree that just about any rifle can be made to work over several different levels of game, but I don't think any of them are quite as versitile as the old 1912 three/ six bits!

It is my opinion that the 375H&H is not only the best "all around" cartridge for Africa but for the one rifle man who hunts the WORLD! I own and have owned several 375 H&H rifles in many types, and I could live quite nicely with two rifles chambered for the two 375 cartridges the 375 H&H, in bolt or singleshot and the 375fl Mag in a 10 pound S/S double rifle, for everything from coyote to elephant if need be!

.............Just saying! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle your comfortable with and can shoot accurately in a caliber you can handle. no body else's opinions matter if you can't shoot what you carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
At whatever your recoil tolerance level, you can almost always make a lighter rifle in a 375 than a 416.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think, perhaps for the first time here; we have consensus.
The Holland 375 belted magnum has lost nothing to the new ones.

Add a big bore Double and you are in business.

Rich
DRSS
and a 375H&H

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H tu2

300 gr softs & solids loaded to ~ 2500 fps to impact the same point of aim.

Go get'm!!! Anything!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 416 rigby has less recoil issues to me than my 375 H&H. The Rigby weighs considerably more than my 375, the 375 is stainless with synthetic stock,,I know that is probably a sin to some but I bought it to use in all weather, climates, and conditions, bounce around in the jeep, 4 wheeler, etc. I am just not recoil sensitive like many folks,so i like the 416 and 458, but,,,,,, if I only had one choice of caliber to use around the world,, 375 H&H mag would be my pick, 300 gn Barnes x bullets, would do the trick on mosts, with solida and softs available for certain game.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Best all round rifle and caliber, Blaser R93 in .416 Remington. stir

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
416 Rem if you do not mind the recoil. 375 H&H is hard to beat and I always take one. But for buff and ele a 416 is a tad better.

Never had a Blaser so make mine a Mod 70

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a safari where you might be hunting duikers to buffalo it would be hard to beat a 375 of some variety with softs and solids. It is also a great rifle caliber for heavy NA game and has served me well on both continents. The 375 has killed many ele's but I think if targeting elephant specifically perhaps the 416 or larger would serve the pupose better.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used in 416 Rigby on a month safari in Namibia this past May...Elephant and Hippo down to Kudu and Steenbok. Not saying it's the best, but it worked well.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the .416 Remington magnum really have the pressure problems I've heard about or is this a similar example like the .458 Winchester magnum, as in, earlier loadings had problems but newer ones have none. If there are truly no problems with the .$16 RM, I believe it could replace the .375 H&H as the African all-around caliber/cartridge. I realize the recoil issue may be a problem as I used to own a .416 RM and sold it due to that very issue. I may have jumped the gun though as I never really tried to work around the issue by experimenting with different stocks, mercury recoil reducing devices, etc. Anyway, I'm inclined to retry the .416 calibers and wanted opinions from you all.

Thanks again,

jfm

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There should be no pressure problems with the .416 Rem. Mag. when properly and sanely loaded ammo is used. And it is possible to get 2,400 fps out of a 400 grain bullet with such ammo.

I understand (I read it somewhere) that some early lots of Remington-made ammo were too hot and did give pressure problems in some rifles.

But that was over twenty years ago and to my knowledge is a thing of the past.

I have had pressure problems with some old lots of Remington ammo in .375 caliber. Poor QC or live and learn? Who knows?

BTW, in answer to your question, my vote for best all around would go to a .416 of one stripe or another, and for practicality's sake, probably the .416 Rem. Mag.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13664 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Where are the guides, PH's and outfitter marketing guys?

The 375 is the best all around something. They wouldn't use one but for the unsuspecting and unknowing client-dude, the 375 is just dandy. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Used in 416 Rigby on a month safari in Namibia this past May...Elephant and Hippo down to Kudu and Steenbok. Not saying it's the best, but it worked well.

So why'd you sell it. Big Grin Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best all around caliber, 375 H&H. It will kill anything that walks on this planet. It can be made light enough for an ordinary man, or woman, to carry all day and not kick the snot out of you. It shoots flat enough to shoot small game out to 300 yards. Its manageable recoil instills enough confidence in the average shooter to take the big stuff up close. I think you 416 guys bringing elephant in to the equation have moved the scale up a notch. Yes, the 416's are better on the big stuff, but I think they loose out on the bottom end of the scale. If elephant only were on the menu, I would take my 450 Rigby, but I would not feel under gunned with my 375.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
in my humble opinion the 375 H&H is by far the most versatile weapon available for use in Africa. I cant comment on the rest of the world but most clients have said it works well anywhere on any game. As mark said it might be a little light for Elephants specifically but overall I would recomend it over any other weapon.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
9.3x64B Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I'm very surprised that I am the first to suggest the great 9.3 x 74R.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
I'm very surprised that I am the first to suggest the great 9.3 x 74R.

i will second you on that donald tu2

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best all round includeing the big 5. The 416 rem. Shoots as flat as the 375 but hits a lot harder. if not counting the big 5 30-06.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Taylor chose the 375 in either the rimmed or belted versions as the best all around calibers for African as well as world wide hunting. Things haven't changed since 1948 and the 375 Holland still rules the roost!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I'd say 375 H&H as well; but do sometimes wonder if we'd be saying 9.3x62 or x64 if Germany had fared better in WWI?

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
.416Rem or other .416s, will do anything a .375 will, but do it better. I own both.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If I can have but a single rifle --- the 375 holland and holland is the one to have.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the opinions on the .375 RUM?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375 Big Grin

Just my personal opinion because with minimal practice just about any adult can carry and shoot it. No recoil reducers, etc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a difficult choice, if I were leaving for DG/Plains combo to walk past my CZ (6-shots!) 375 H&H. But, I might grab my 416 Rigby. It would come down to whether the focus is DG or PG.

There would be no wrong answer, but a man will need more practice if he goes with the Rigby.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to be my 404j.
Loaded with 400 grain softs and Hydro's.

Posts: 55 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 March 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whatever caliber you choose, make sure you get to know it very well.

My own personal choice is a 375/404. Which several of us have been using for a number of years. Shooting several hundreds of game animals in the process.

These range from duikers to elephants.
Distances are from a few yards to over 500 yards.

If one does his bit, the rifle delivers the goods.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
Saeed

If there was no legal requirement for 375 and dangerouse game would the 375/404 still be your choice or maybe 30/404 or 338/404?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
Saeed

If there was no legal requirement for 375 and dangerouse game would the 375/404 still be your choice or maybe 30/404 or 338/404?

I have all of these calibers.

I think it would depend on what I am hunting specifically.

If buffalo are the main game animal, I would stick with the 375/404.

If I was mainly interested in plains game, and shoot a couple of buffalo as well, I would be happy to stick with the 30/404.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If buffalo are the main game animal, I would stick with the 375/404.

If I was mainly interested in plains game, and shoot a couple of buffalo as well, I would be happy to stick with the 30/404.

That is more or less saying that the 300 Wby or 300 RUM would be the best all round calibre for the vast majority of shooters going to Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD advised the .416 Remington magnum is as flat shooting as the .375 H&H magnum but hits harder. I've not seen that it is any flatter shooting as I've always gotten @ 2400 fps from the 400 grain bullets out of the .416 RM and @ 2600 fps with the 300 grain bullets from the .375 H&H magnum. Th .375 was the flatter shooting cartridge by far. The .416 definitely hit harder though. This is one of the reasons why I am asking about the versatility of the larger calibers. Long rang capability is an important factoe to me as well as power.

Thanks,

jfm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:
JD advised the .416 Remington magnum is as flat shooting as the .375 H&H magnum but hits harder. I've not seen that it is any flatter shooting as I've always gotten @ 2400 fps from the 400 grain bullets out of the .416 RM and @ 2600 fps with the 300 grain bullets from the .375 H&H magnum. Th .375 was the flatter shooting cartridge by far. The .416 definitely hit harder though. This is one of the reasons why I am asking about the versatility of the larger calibers. Long rang capability is an important factoe to me as well as power.

Thanks,

jfm

In my rifle I always load for best accuracy with the chosen bullet give or take a few fps.
I shoot 350 gr barnes tsx in 416, and 270 gr barnes tsx in the 375. Both loads were near max, both were 1/2 moa loads. The 416 did shoot flater pass 250 yards, at 300 there was about a 2 " advantage to the 416. It may have been some differance in the reticals of the scopes .
The 375 was a 10 power mil dot, the 416 was a true post with a fine cross hair. Both rifles were sighted in at 200. Every thing I shot with the 375 pass 300 was lower than the shots made with the 416.I shot several animals with each rifle pass 300 yrds the 416 held up better to the range card.
That was my experience your milage may vary.
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you require 375 trajectory out of a 416 Remington, you might consider a 350 GR Barnes TSX @ 2600 FPS. It will still hit a bit harder than a 300 in a 375 H&H.
I am shooting 370 NF's in my 416 with excellent accuracy @ 2525 FPS. This load flattens out my 416 a tad and delivers a solid punch as well. The NF does not have as good a BC as the Barnes TSX for longer shots.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby, My Dakota 76 African loves a 410 grain bullet @ 2550!

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote