For all the Avon SSS lovers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
A little study. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might as well use what has been proven to work. Urban myths don't provide a lot of protection.

Perception is not reality.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Anyone that lives in Alaska can tell you Avon SSS is worthless for Mosquitos. I did anecdotally feel it slowed Tsetse for an hour or so

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SSS stinks so bad I don't like it for tsetses as good as it is rumored to be. I've only used it once and it seemed to work.

I do this for tsetses; wear a thicker clothing. Yes it's hot and the thin Tag safari pants and shirts are cool. Tsetses bite right through them. Wear something a bit thicker and you won't get bit. Deal with the heat.

And, treat with Permethrin.

Posts: 10380 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about mosquitoes and other bugs, but Avon SSS with picaridin (specifically picaridin, among the stuff's various versions) does make a significant difference for tsetse flies. I use it regularly, and have seen it used countless times by others. Although it does not prevent all bites, especially when you are in a "tsetse cloud", the number of flies actually landing and biting decreases dramatically upon application. You can see the flies zooming in, lining up for final, and abruptly aborting the landing.

Empirical tests show a marked decrease in general self-slapping when we put the stuff on. These efficiency tests are corroborated by the observation that the jumpy-dancy-slappy routine of those on the truck who are left out of the ASSS distribution continues unabated. Cool

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have some stuff called MOSSIE DOS here, which works very well for mosquitoes.

We found that if we mix it with DEET and 50 SPF sun protection it works very well for tse tse flies.

As well as anything we have tried before.

I mix it here myself, using about 50% DEET.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In my experience 50% or > DEET works pretty good on tsetse flies too. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I gave up arguing with SSS zealots long ago.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:
I don't know about mosquitoes and other bugs, but Avon SSS with picaridin (specifically picaridin, among the stuff's various versions) does make a significant difference for tsetse flies. I use it regularly, and have seen it used countless times by others. Although it does not prevent all bites, especially when you are in a "tsetse cloud", the number of flies actually landing and biting decreases dramatically upon application. You can see the flies zooming in, lining up for final, and abruptly aborting the landing.

Empirical tests show a marked decrease in general self-slapping when we put the stuff on. These efficiency tests are corroborated by the observation that the jumpy-dancy-slappy routine of those on the truck who are left out of the ASSS distribution continues unabated. Cool

That has been my experience.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:
I don't know about mosquitoes and other bugs, but Avon SSS with picaridin (specifically picaridin, among the stuff's various versions) does make a significant difference for tsetse flies.

That has been my experience.

Since it works well for mosquitos, it's most likely that the picardin is what is effective, not the SSS.

from the linked article

Actually, Strickman gives the edge to picardin.

"Picaridin is a little more effective than DEET and seems to keep mosquitoes at a greater distance," he says. When people use DEET, mosquitoes may land on them but not bite. When they use a product containing picaridin, mosquitoes are less likely to even land. Repellents with IR 3535 are slightly less effective, Strickman says, but they don't have the strong smell of other products."

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

Yeah me too!

Just saw this neat little study and thought I would stir the pot a little. stir fishing popcorn

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Arguing with ASSS zealots is like arguing with PETA.

I always wonder why these tests never seem to include the 3M Ultrathon deet insect repellent. This is the stuff that was developed for the U.S. military and tested in jungles and swamps all over the world. I have used it for 15 years. A M.D. hunting partner and I felt it decreased the tetse activity as well as the mosquitoes and ticks when we tested it in Mozambique. Perhaps because it always ranks in the top 2 or 3 in scientific testing?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

Yeah me too!

Just saw this neat little study and thought I would stir the pot a little. stir fishing popcorn

No expert but after 17 trips to AFRICA and seeing clouds of T-flies in Zambia, maybe one or two bites. I would never leave home without it. I have well known PH's ask me to bring it for them when I come. Just maybe it works better for some with certain body chemistry

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All one has to do is have Ray Atkinson next to him.

I think he had about a 100 flies on him while I had one or two rotflmo

Same with Canuck!

My wife says it is because of all the Tabasco I eat! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really wish someone would win this argument so I know which to take for my upcoming hunt in Zambia Big Grin

Now I feel compelled to take both and form my own opinion...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had pretty good luck with the skin so soft products containing picardin. Get the spray bottle stuff, and the sunscreen and bug dope are together. I would agree that the SSS products without picardin are basically perfume laden sunscreen.

If I forgot to put it on when I was in Cameroon just this month, I knew within a few minutes that I had forgotten it.

I will say that this is yet another questionable study, given that the data they give you is rather contradicted by what the researchers were saying in their written comments.

It is m experience that everyone is a bit different in their responses to bugs. It is my experience that most of the research is aimed at mosquitos, and rightfully so as they are the bigger disease vector, and DEET works better than most at this.

As I recall, there was some data that anything over 25-50% DEET was no more effective, and there was some concern for toxicity with topical use, especially in children at the higher concentrations.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
"OFF" bought Africa is usually picardin based. I have used it when I forgot to put my 50% DEET spray in the cruiser...it does work OK...just not as good a %50 DEET...at least for me.

SSS without picardin...useless.

Lionhunter's stuff above is the best for all pest control as the permethrin helps with ticks.

2nd best 50% DEET.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For tsetses, I have yet to see anything that works as well as a smoldering piece of elephant poop.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Agreed. Arguing with ASSS zealots is like arguing with PETA.

I always wonder why these tests never seem to include the 3M Ultrathon deet insect repellent. This is the stuff that was developed for the U.S. military and tested in jungles and swamps all over the world. I have used it for 15 years. A M.D. hunting partner and I felt it decreased the tetse activity as well as the mosquitoes and ticks when we tested it in Mozambique. Perhaps because it always ranks in the top 2 or 3 in scientific testing?

I have a good .mil study somewhere on that.

Good stuff.

Secret for the Ultrathon is the carrier base the DEET is in. Keeps it around for 12 hr IIRC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
All one has to do is have Ray Atkinson next to him.

I think he had about a 100 flies on him while I had one or two rotflmo

Same with Canuck!

My wife says it is because of all the Tabasco I eat! clap

in Canada they said bring a frenchman with you and you do not to worry about bugs ...

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote