THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who here has shot a buff/hippo/rhino/ellie at less than 10 yards?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here has shot a buff/hippo/rhino/ellie at less than 10 yards?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What caliber, what shot placement, and what was the reaction of the animal?

Would you choose a different rifle/caliber/load for the same event again?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope! But I did shoot my leopard (2nd shot) at less than 10 yards.....375-caliber Nosler Partition (300gr) at 2550 fps...into the chest and exiting near the tail. Bullet not recovered. Hostilities ceased at the shot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RustyF>
posted
I have, shot a White Rhino at approximately five yards when he got tired of us following and charged from about forty yards. I posted a story about here some time ago as it was a real eye opener when it happened. I thought White Rhinos were fairly docile. This guy took some time to find and get on and when we did he came fast in thick brush and didn't clear until he was right on top of us. I had a young man that was videoing and he broke and ran. I realized pretty quick running was not an option so I pushed off the safety, leveled the rifle and waited. The first shot took him from the left of the spine at about the shoulders (he had his head down low) and it caused him to flare to my right and he passed at about five yards. I was shooting a 470NE double and the left barrel was a richochet in the brush. I followed him up in the thick stuff and finished him with two more shots. It certainly got my attention as the PH was a little in front and out of position to back up and it was a case of take care of it or be flattened. I wouldn't change a thing.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity in Zim last September to assist in the cropping of an injured hippo. This young bull apparently had gotten cross-grain with the herd bull, who promptly crushed one foreleg as a reward. The bull was lurking in a slough off the main river channel and bothering anyone who came near.

My PH Gordon Duncan is also the designated Problem Animal Control Officer for the southern portion of the Sav� Conservancy, and got the call to solve the problem.

Three of us had rifles, Gordon and I .375s and another PH had his trusty BRNO .30-'06. We all had solids. I was using the Federal Trophy Bonded 300 grain Sledgehammer. I was on a sandbar on the left flank at about 10 yards, and Gordon and the other hunter worked around the river bank to get a clear view for a brain shot. The hippo had gone under a clump of reeds and was only partly visible. My job was to shoot if the hippo moved. It did, and I stuck one into his left hip. Gordon and the second PH both immediately put solids into the brain. The hippo subsided.

We didn't need more or less gun for this event, but more would have been comforting as well.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I shot a Cape buffalo at about that distance. We were sitting on a small Ant Hill watching a herd of about 300 animals pass in front of us. At the tail end was the one to take and he was walking extremely close to the hill. Later stepped off at 6 paces. The PH whispered to take him and at the sound the Buff turned to look right at us.

I shot with a 378 WB and 300 grain Barnes Soft right below his chin into the chest. He turned 90 degrees and I shot again with a 300 gr. Barnes solid. It broke both shoulders and he went down in front. The third shot was another 300 gr. in the back of the head that severed the spine. Dead.

The soft bullet blew up on the chest. It only penitrated about 2 inches and never made it through the muscle. The solids worked great.

No I would never use that fast a cartridge again. I also would never use a Weatherbye again with it's 2 shot magazine.

I should say that the 300 grain bullet did do in a Leopard and a Sable in quite satisfactory fashion though.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know it was still possible to hunt Rhino, I bet that was one expensive hunt! I hope you had it mounted, and I bet that itself cost a fortune.

I bought 3 tickets for the lottery last night and didn't win, hopefully I will get it this saturday and then can afford a proper african safari.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I shot my first buffalo at about ten yards in a clearing in the jess at Sengwa in Zim. Rifle was a Whitworth .375, bullet was an A-Square 300 grain monolithic solid. The shot broke the spine where it meets the shoulder and the buffalo dropped in his tracks. The PH, Blake Muil, had me shoot him three more times for insurance. [Smile]

It's the only buffalo I've taken, including two with the .458 Lott at +/- 15 yards, that has dropped at the shot.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I didn't know it was still possible to hunt Rhino, I bet that was one expensive hunt! I hope you had it mounted, and I bet that itself cost a fortune.

I bought 3 tickets for the lottery last night and didn't win, hopefully I will get it this saturday and then can afford a proper african safari.

Red

White Rhino have been on license for years in both RSA and Namibia. They can also be imported into the United States with proper papers (cites).Black Rhino are fully protected in all of their range, and from what I understand, decreasing in numbers due to poaching. A White Rhino shoulder mount costs $1735.00 from Life-Form Taxidermy in RSA. That really isn't too bad considering the size of the critter.

[ 10-10-2003, 03:17: Message edited by: mikeh416Rigby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, that isn't too bad, what is the range in price for the hunt? More or less than elephant?

That would be a great thing to have hanging up in your office, I wonder how my boss would feel about that? :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
No, that isn't too bad, what is the range in price for the hunt? More or less than elephant?

That would be a great thing to have hanging up in your office, I wonder how my boss would feel about that? :-)

Red

The last I looked (about a year or so ago) the Rhino hunts in RSA were tendered between 20-25K. Big bucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot an Elephant bull at 6 paces yesterday morning. Pleasant morning stroll and a young bull in musht took exception to us and charged from 40 yards. Ignored the warning shouts and took a .458 Lott bullet just below the eyes for his trouble. Skidded to a halt. Shook his head and turned to run off. Heart shot runied his day. While recovering skin and Ivory found that Barnes bullet had riveted on tusk and turned through 90 deg.

Young bull, age 14 or 15, only about three tonns weight. Going back to my 9,3.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot and seen shot more than several Buffalo at about 10 to 20 yards...Actually I have shot several Buff in the high grass at about 10 yards I think or near that...I shot an elephant at about 10 yards and have been within 3 ft. of a Lioness with cubs and almost shot her, but it worked out and she and her brood slowly walked off in that haughty manner that only the Lion can display with such contempt for mankind..Ya gotta love them.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have shot many buffalo and elephants at less than 10 yards - all we got was a "deadly" reaction.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Shot an Elephant bull at 6 paces yesterday morning. Pleasant morning stroll and a young bull in musht took exception to us and charged from 40 yards. Ignored the warning shouts and took a .458 Lott bullet just below the eyes for his trouble. Skidded to a halt. Shook his head and turned to run off. Heart shot runied his day. While recovering skin and Ivory found that Barnes bullet had riveted on tusk and turned through 90 deg.

Young bull, age 14 or 15, only about three tonns weight. Going back to my 9,3.

Nothing wrong with the Lott, just with the Barnes. There are lots of good .458 solids out there...

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
I have a theory that bullets yaw as they exit a barrel for up to perhaps 10 ft. and this causes many of the bullet failures that we see particulary with solids and on elephants, but its just a theory on my part and I have no real proof of this...

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I brained my Hippo on land at about 10 yards. Not sure exactly because I didn't measure it. He dropped like a stone, thank goodness! I was false charged within 6 feet by a Black Rhino while I was in the back of an open top vehicle. An even bigger thank goodness! [Eek!]

I posted the pictures of the Black Rhino on here somewhere. Kind of dark, but close nevertheless.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 500grains

Agree there is nothing wrong with the Lott, but since that bullet passed within 2cm of the brain and did not knock it out, or even stun the animal I am not overly impressed by its "stopping Power". I do know that if I had my own rifle (a 9,3) or my issue F.N. (7.62), a dead elephant would have piled up at my feet.

True the ammo was at fault. A subsiquent shot at 2paces with a PMP mono went right through the head from rear to front, but since the poor animal already had a bad dose of lung ventilation by that stage it is hard to judge stopping power. I do know that an elephant goes down much quicker when hit with a .458 Lott than with a standard .458 assuming the brain is hit. That is undeniable.

However, My opinon of the Lott as a stopper has not been reinforced. I was never quite sure on Taylors "knock out effect" and am less so now. Put the right bullet in the right place and everything works.

I do notice though that Mark Sullivan started out with a .450/400, then a .470 and recently seems to be mainly carrying his .577, .600 or even .700 when trying to provoke a charge:- the wonders of hard practical experience. He has gone up in caliber and I will remain pegged on shot placement - for elephant. Buffalo are a different kettle of fish all togeather. A bit of Hydrostatic shock helps and a .505 gibbs has more effect on a buff than a .577 and a 9,3 is decidedly lacking in this reguard. The brain or spine must be hit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana:
What do you think of a CZ 416 opened up to the 510 Wells/500A2?

Have a friend that designed a handgun cartridge that takes an 350 grain Speer, not yet released, hollow point, .510 caliber.

I'd love to have a rifle, with the same bullet, for 'deer'.

What do you think?

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I see of the CZ 550's the less Impressed I am. Today was the shooting exam before the anual Proficiency test here in zim, and one lad brought along a brand new CZ 550 opened up to .458 Lott. Apart from feeding troubles the stock split after 12 rounds.

I know our climate is hot and dry but much of America is semi desert and not much cooler, so somebody must know about stocks. Not that I can see anybody keeping the original stock for long. That schwienruken design really accentuates recoil.

Also, I have yet to see a CZ put togeather by the factory or a local gunsmith that would reliably feed softs or flat pointed rounds like the Speer AGS. I'm sure a decent gunsmith can do it. The Frank Wells .416 doing the rounds was flawless but I'm sure that kind of work doesn't come cheep.

So, you buy a .458, throw away the stock, the barrel and have the action extensively worked. To what end? If you are going to that size of action get a .505 Gibbs or a .500 jefferies on the Damuolen action. Just brought a brand new Damuolen with their detachable box magazine from North/South Arms. Magnificent rifle but as they come from the factory they don't work too clever either, and need a good gunsmiths attention, but at least the barrel and action are basically sound.

For what it is worth, that is my advice. I have only ever seen one Dakota rifle (today) and that worked well and I was impressed with it. If all their work is of that standard that may well be an option.

If you really want a "stopping" rifle that you can count on for Buff or elephant, buy a Krighoff .500 Nitro. For cats and Buff, get it in 500/.416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Hi 500grains

Agree there is nothing wrong with the Lott, but since that bullet passed within 2cm of the brain and did not knock it out, or even stun the animal I am not overly impressed by its "stopping Power". I do know that if I had my own rifle (a 9,3) or my issue F.N. (7.62), a dead elephant would have piled up at my feet.

True the ammo was at fault. A subsiquent shot at 2paces with a PMP mono went right through the head from rear to front, but since the poor animal already had a bad dose of lung ventilation by that stage it is hard to judge stopping power. I do know that an elephant goes down much quicker when hit with a .458 Lott than with a standard .458 assuming the brain is hit. That is undeniable.

However, My opinon of the Lott as a stopper has not been reinforced. I was never quite sure on Taylors "knock out effect" and am less so now. Put the right bullet in the right place and everything works.

I do notice though that Mark Sullivan started out with a .450/400, then a .470 and recently seems to be mainly carrying his .577, .600 or even .700 when trying to provoke a charge:- the wonders of hard practical experience. He has gone up in caliber and I will remain pegged on shot placement - for elephant. Buffalo are a different kettle of fish all togeather. A bit of Hydrostatic shock helps and a .505 gibbs has more effect on a buff than a .577 and a 9,3 is decidedly lacking in this reguard. The brain or spine must be hit.

That is interesting information. Thank you for the detail. Do you think that there is any shoulder fired cartridge that will stun an elephant with a chest shot? For example, how about a .600 overkill pushing a 900 grain solid at 2300 fps? Of a 585 nyati pushing a 750 grain solid at 2300 fps?

Regarding Mr. Sullivan, a friend of his told me that he used the .700 nitro on only one buffalo hunt and felt that the .600 killed better (and weighed less). You may have noticed that Mr. Sullivan has his .700 up for sale.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ganyana:
"....there is nothing wrong with the Lott, but since the bullet passed within 2cm of the brain and did not knock it out, or even stop the animal I am not overly impressed by its "stopping power"....I was never quite sure on Taylor's "knock out effect" and am less so now. Put the right bullet in the right place and everything works."

W.D.M. Bell:
"I have never been able to appreciate "shock" as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot hope to kill an elephant weighing 6 tons by "shock" unless you hit him with a field gun....If I belonged to this school I would have had built a much more powerful weapon than the 600 bores."

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark sullivan is selling his 700 because his wife wants a new house not because he thinks the calliber is lacking .

i have talked to sullivan myself about his 700 but he is asking way to much for it to begin with.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
700 NITRO,

"...mark sullivan is selling his 700 because his wife wants a new house not because he thinks the calliber is lacking ..."

I think the reason might be because far too many people have finally caught on to his stupid antics.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
mark sullivan is selling his 700 because his wife wants a new house not because he thinks the calliber is lacking .

I wonder what costs more: new wife or new house?