New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet Legal? Sensible?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have mailed a deposit off to Bailey B. for double rifle with two barrel set in .22 lr and .22 k-hornet. Looked at Zim and NAPHA regulations and believe the k-hornet is legal caliber/energy for Zim, but not for Namibia.

Grateful to be set straight on that interpretation. If it may not be imported for trophy hunting, can I bring it in for plinking/target shooting as long as I have a rifle that meets caliber/joule requirements for hunting?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to use a .22 Hornet for kids at the Rifa education camp to shoot impala with. Worked fine whilst a stock of old european (DWM) ammo held out. Had to stop using it after we nearly lost two impala, both well hit, due to bullet failure with newer ammo.

The old european stuff was designed with Roe deer in mind. The current stuff I have been able to find is all varmit grade...

Given the right bullets, the K-Hornet is perfectly adequate for the tiny 10 pluss reedbuck, Springbo and Impala at realistic ranges. I don't think you could make it into a warthog round...

For monkey's and jackal it would be perfect.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
After seeing a Hornet owned by a Safari Operator south of Chimanimani in 1991, I bought a Ruger No.1 in .218Bee in the hope that one day I would be able to take it to Zim and head shoot the game Ganyana mentioned.

I have my load with Norma 50 FMJ component bullets ready to go.

Unfortunately I may have to wait till retirement to return. CRYBABY

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, there was something on here a few days ago where Tex Grebner said 22LR was the perfect load for Zombies.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
No need for an eyeroll, all oldhands at zombie shooting know the 22lr is an outstanding choice. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Code 4.
I took my Sako 222Rem to Zim on my first safari with 55gr.fmj military ball handloads. The only 2 animals that required a second shot were an impala and a duiker shot with that load, both due to bullet failure. If I was to do that again I would find some old Nosler Zippido 55 gr. softpoints or a similar non varmint bullet.
One never knows what path a military hardball might take after striking game.
My opinion for what it's worth.

Sam

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
I hav a neat little hornet built on a little martini action. I had a lot of old Sako and a couple of boxes of WW ammo and used these to good effect on impala, reedbuck, springbuck, duiker and the occasional bushbuck. To my everlasting regret I used it also on many a varmint including monkeys. I then let my son break his teeth with it using it as his first centrefire. This used up all the ammo and I started to reload and the nightmare began. I have tried several types of bullet, and have had some interesting failures. One was when I smacked a fallow deer betwen the eyes at about 45m. It went down like a bucket of bolts, and got up and wanted to do some jousting as I approached it. A friend despatched it before it did any damage. The bullet had mushroomed on the skull, just penetrating the skin. Reminded me of Elmer Keith's story about i think an elk with his revolver.
Anyway, I digress, the little gun has now been relegated to small varmints, monkeys and teaching kids.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger #3 in 22 hornet. I agree with 500 nitro that it can be a challenge to load for in getting accuate loads. I use mine strictly for vermin and small game. I am positive it could be used on small species of deer and antelope with perfect shot placement and top shelf bullets. I see no reason for not using more cartridge and having a larger room for error. So in my book, its legal, but not sensible.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My Father's favorite rifle.

Dispatched Texas deer, hogs & vermin, almost exclusively with head shots.
Accuracy,for him, was never an issue.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, buit I used a Hornet for several years on Javelina here in Texas, and all I shot were handloads/reloads, and I used winchester 296 ball powder and 50 grain Barnes "X" flat base bullets never had any problems even with heart/lung shots out to 125 yards.

I don't remember ever having to shoot but one animal the second time, due to poor bullet placement on my part the first shot.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I use my 22K Hornet exclusively for jackal.

I use 45gr SP as they work great on jackal. With Somchem powder I get 2790fps and thats more than enough for jackal upto 150 meters.

For other animals upto Impala size I would use a quality bullet like the Barnes X in 45gr and keep my shooting distances down to 75 meters max. But then I must also emphasize that shot placement must be surgically accurate...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago I went to Zimbabwe and used my PH's hornet to shoot impala and wart hogs for leopard bait. His gun was a pre 64 model 70 supergrade that he had just bought for $350. His other hornet was a BSA and he used it a lot for culls and especially for duiker and spring hare by spotlight for the staff. I was amazed how well it killed when I did my part! Before customs became so tough I used to bring him 250 rounds of hornet ammo every visit.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I bought with me a 2K last year in Namibia, I used it on hyrax ground dogs, steenbuck and to finish all the wounded but stopped animels hunted.
I had no problems in import it in Namibia as second rifle.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I take a .22 Hornet whenever I can. I've used it on impala, duiker, warthog, jackal, and steenbok with great success. It's a fun gun to have around if you go out on night drives for jackals, caracals, genets, etc. Nailing dassies with a hornet is also a great way to make the most of any down time.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get it built with a 10 twist .224 (not .223) barrel and then you can shoot heavier bullets. At low Hornet velocities, 55 grain softs (other than the SX, V max etc) should penetrate well. Having said that, you are rolling the dice twice ... open sights and inadequate caliber.

22 LR double ... it's been done but the question is "Why?"

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Russ, you argue for a 1:10 twist. Bailey is looking to do 1:12 as good for heavier bullets. Any other views welcome.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes triple shock has revitalised the Hornet, I use 45 Gn xxx's on 10.5 gns of 4227 or Win 296 in my new C.Z.(10'' Twist) and bowl over the biggest Skippies you have ever seen out to 150 Yds . I shoot them in the centre of the chest and have yet to recover a bullet.exit holes are ringed with bone chips and even big Boomers drop to the shot. I hope to take my Grandson to Africa next Feb. to shoot Spring Hares and non-trophy Impalas,springboks andother small game.I will post photos of that trip .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This old man who used a 22 Hornet in his youth (back when dinosaurs still roamed)is awed at the exploits recounted here for the 22 Hornet. It was a 150 yard (maybe 175 yard cartridge with careful holding from rest) at woodchucks, totally illegal for use on white tail deer in my state of NY. I can understand it killing javelina but javelina don't weigh anything like even half of a small white tail deer. Obviously, I don't argue with people who have used the 22 Hornet in Africa but I do wonder. I wonder why a cartridge that was obliterated in America by the 222 Rem. is so great in Africa. My impression of Africa game in my month there once was that they were really hardy. I just don't see the 22 Hornet as so useful -but then I'm always willing to be educated! Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry:
My PH liked the hornet because of the relatively small amount of noise. He was concerned that shooting bait animals with larger calibers was too noisy. I have seen far more hornets in use in Africa than here in the US. Remember when cull hunting mostly head shots are taken so the hornet works well in the hands of a good shot. My last trip I did see a number of 223 rifles being used for cull hunts.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Funny, but at looking at all the responses given here, and as many threads as I see started elsewhere on the AR, I do not see where the 222 obliterated anything.

Am I missing something that you are seeing GP375?

Since when did hunter/shooter preference become a "Bad" thing?

I don't know about other folks, but for me, the 375 H&H is the perfect all around rifle.

If I were more interested in running with the pack, then I might shoot a 300 WSM or 300 UltraMag..

I have shot a Hornet for many years, and while I can see it as a javeline gun, I really can't/couldn't see it as a white tail rifle either, even though I killed a white tail with it.

But just as with the 222 and 223 and any of the other 22 caliber centerfires, if the shooter is comfortable with the choice and works within the limitatiomns of the c artridge and the shooters own limitations, who am I, or who is anyone else to say it is wrong.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have a .22lr Mauser, still with all origional insignia on it, from Mauser badge on stock to the swastika on it too. just had light work done on it to remove all excess oil in the stock.

We use it for Impala and Blessbuck, strictly head shots, so far only had the run around once in the last three years with it, out of 40 animals shot with it. i took a head shot at a blessbuck ram that was standing broadside and unbeknown to me the scope had been bumped so it was a nasal cavity shot, chased the animal around for 6 hours before getting in another shot to put it out of its missary.

We use high velocity .22 sabre heads but they are out of production from pmp so we are stock piling at the moment

But used responsibly i do not see why not - its either that or the bow, both dont disturb the peace on the farm

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote