THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    For members who are having mobility issues

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For members who are having mobility issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
Since many of our group are on the older side and may be having trouble getting around due to arthritis or injury, I thought I’d mention that I underwent a stem cell transplant procedure on both knees last week. I was having moderate trouble with my knees, but still walking about 3 miles most days. Problem was, I was in discomfort pretty much every step I took for months. The tipping point for me was drawing a Desert Bighorn tag for this December in California, so I decided I’d be smart to get the procedure so that I can be in the best shape possible when my sheep season opens this December.

So far, so good. The clinic I used was a Regenexx affiliated clinic, which I concluded after my research would give me the best chance for a positive outcome. The procedure was pretty involved, with visits on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday was pretty intense, as they drew bone marrow from my pelvis ( 8 penetrations with a very stout needle) to get the stem cells and several hours later they injected those stem cells into my knees. All in all, it involved 48 total needle sticks Last week, with the pelvic ones being pretty uncomfortable. However, the pain was temporary and my knees actually feel pretty damn good for the first time in many months. I figure I’ll be doing 5+ miles a day by the time my sheep Hunt rolls around.

I wanted to post this in case anyone is having joint issues and has been looking for ways to gain back their mobility. I’d be happy to answer any questions about the procedure and discuss privately with anyone contemplating having it done. Bottom line, if I had to do it over again, I would. I suspect some of our aged members may find this as a viable option to improve their quality of life and mobility. If so, feel free to contact me either here or in a PM.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

How old is: Older side?

Jan 22nd had the second knee replacement to
the same knee as I'd fallen and broken a part.
Doing ok with it.

July 8th, had my third back fusions. Had a kink
in the spine pinching a nerve more than I could
continue putting up with. Doing swell with it so far.
Vastly reduced the pain and stopped the spasms so far.
Ended up with 4 rods and 14 3" lag screws.
Anyone willing to post the picture here
pm and I'll send it.

Best wishes with your knee's. Next month will
be 50 years since I wrecked mine at 26. That
makes me 76 this last Jan.

Hope yours are cured. Let us know in a year or so
and after the sheep hunt.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Interesting.

How old is: Older side? 60+. I’m 61.

Jan 22nd had the second knee replacement to
the same knee as I'd fallen and broken a part.
Doing ok with it.

July 8th, had my third back fusions. Had a kink
in the spine pinching a nerve more than I could
continue putting up with.

Doing swell with it so far. Vastly reduced the
pain and stopped the spasms so far.

Best wishes with your knee's. Next month will
be 50 years since I wrecked mine at 26. Hope
yours are cured. Let us know in a year or so
and after the sheep hunt.

George

Older is 60+. I’m 61.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had stem cell treatment on my knees in 2013. Reckon I’d have had knee replacements within 6 months if I hadn’t had the atem cell done. I’m still running on my originals and have less pain now than I did prior to the treatment. It isn’t a cure but it certainly delays the inevitable. My stem cells were from fat cells taken from my stomach via liposuction. Not really painful and all over and done with in one day.
Part of my treatment was to have platelet rich plasma injections a couple of months after the stem cell treatment. That helped and I’ve had it done once again since.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
I had stem cell treatment on my knees in 2013. Reckon I’d have had knee replacements within 6 months if I hadn’t had the atem cell done. I’m still running on my originals and have less pain now than I did prior to the treatment. It isn’t a cure but it certainly delays the inevitable. My stem cells were from fat cells taken from my stomach via liposuction. Not really painful and all over and done with in one day.
Part of my treatment was to have platelet rich plasma injections a couple of months after the stem cell treatment. That helped and I’ve had it done once again since.

Interesting. My stem cells came from bone marrow and it was A painful Process. They gave me PRP injections 2 days after stem cell injection. I go back for a follow up at end of September, and will ask about another round of PRP then. I don’t go sheep hunting until mid-November when I help a buddy on his Nevada Desert Sheep hunt. My Desert Sheep season doesn’t open till early December, so a late October shot of PRP might really help.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:

Interesting. My stem cells came from bone marrow and it was A painful Process. They gave me PRP injections 2 days after stem cell injection. I go back for a follow up at end of September, and will ask about another round of PRP then. I don’t go sheep hunting until mid-November when I help a buddy on his Nevada Desert Sheep hunt. My Desert Sheep season doesn’t open till early December, so a late October shot of PRP might really help.

The painless solution is I come over and whack that sheep for you.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:

The painless solution is I come over and whack that sheep for you.

Andrew, great idea! Wink. You’re not the first PH who’s suggested something along those lines. I’ve already had offers of a cameraman from another if I’d just let him tag along. But, you’re the first with such a magnanimous offer to just go shoot a ram for me! Big Grin

By the time December rolls around, I could Literally have a dozen people tagging along if I took everyone up on their offers of help. Desert Sheep tags are rare prizes and the only way most of Us will ever get to go is to help on a hunt for someone else who has a tag, Speaking of which... I’m helping a buddy who drew a Nevada Desert Sheep tag a couple weeks before my season starts. It’ll be a nice tune up for my hunt.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I hear you gentlemen, being 58, I had accident at work and blew a disc in lower back, MRI also showed stenosis, which makes sense as I had some pains in buttocks and legs for about a year and last year Africa and here in mountains was a challenge for sure with hiking, packing and overall mobility

Surgery was 2 weeks ago ago and all the nerve pains is gone so far so I’m just doing what the doctor ordered and slowly getting better every day
I will be ready for hunting season one way or another

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
One thing, I still killed great bear week before the accident so no complaining from me( been after him for 4 years)

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i had right hip replacement surgery feb 24th... there were several others there that had tried the stem cell injection, as far as the conversations went, it only delayed the actual replacement surgery... my replacement was a great sucess,,, the dr added 5 mm to that side when he did the surgery, and now the leg pain associated with L4 and L5 is gone...i'm glad the stem cell injections are working for you, i didnt have that choice...and i'm 62

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
There are a few doctors on this site. Stem cell injections, much like cortisone injections, are only a 'band aid' from what I understand.

I am trying to find an answer for my father. He was once the overweight man that would out walk the kids in search of the bobwhites of West Texas. Now, he is just, well looking for the easy solution.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had tears in the meniscus on both knees. It wasn't bothering me except on long bike rides but I had it checked out last November. Doc gave me the injections and scheduled me for the surgery in Dec. Surgery was a yawn and I was back on the treadmill in about a month. Now I'm biking 20 miles 3 times a week and weight lifting 3 times a week. If you are having knee issues deal with it before you need something major.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I had a meniscus tear in my right knee years ago and before surgery hunted the Bubye, walking on that painful knee further than I had ever walked on any other African Safari. Had it fixed upon my return to the States, then a three shot regimen and no problems since. However, I currently have a meniscus tear in the left knee and am scheduled for surgery on the 18th. This one is much more painful than the right one. Never thought that I would ever be so excited for a surgery! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I had a meniscus tear in my right knee years ago and before surgery hunted the Bubye, walking on that painful knee further than I had ever walked on any other African Safari. Had it fixed upon my return to the States, then a three shot regimen and no problems since. However, I currently have a meniscus tear in the left knee and am scheduled for surgery on the 18th. This one is much more painful than the right one. Never thought that I would ever be so excited for a surgery! Big Grin

Isn’t it amazing how debilitating a meniscus tear can be? If you haven’t done it yet, try kneeling down and crawling, that’ll really stop you dead in your tracks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh baby! No way! I've already experienced that a couple of times. Or, just kneeling down. Or quickly pulling your knee in without thinking first. Or turning over in bed and not taking care with your knee as you do so. Shiiiiiizz!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Oh baby! No way! I've already experienced that a couple of times. Or, just kneeling down. Or quickly pulling your knee in without thinking first. Or turning over in bed and not taking care with your knee as you do so. Shiiiiiizz!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Why do I see a nursing home waiting room when I read this thread? Big Grin

Age 66

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
At 64 I have been struggling with back muscle spasms and stiffness resulting from limp in knee - meniscus damage and nerve pinch.

My back was so bad I could not shoot prone for the last 5 years. I could not straighten my neck to look over the rifle comb and scope.

2017 I twisted left knee and medial meniscus tore. Limped around for a few months and my back seized up. After about 6 to 8 months I went to physiotherapy and found my left leg muscles had shrunk and my back was like a log. After some therapy and acupuncture I found all my tiny back muscles from base of neck to tail bone were sore! My back improved 50% during mid 2018 to mid 2019. Then I had arthroscopy to correct the damaged meniscus. But the nerve pinch and limp continued for another 6 months.

A month ago i was walking home from a pub around the corner and within 200 meters I had a stumble and felt a click in my knee.

Since then my limp is gone and my back is so much better.

I can now almost squat on my haunches for the first time in 15 years!

Back is improving.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crawled on hands and knees for about a 100 yards on gravel stalking a mule deer last Oct. I was never so glad that an animal winded us in my life as my knees were hurting a lot. Post surgery I know it would be much easier.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Crawled on hands and knees for about a 100 yards on gravel stalking a mule deer last Oct. I was never so glad that an animal winded us in my life as my knees were hurting a lot. Post surgery I know it would be much easier.

Mark

I thought you were just begging....

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
A month ago i was walking home from a pub around the corner and within 200 meters I had a stumble and felt a click in my knee.

Since then my limp is gone and my back is so much better.

Who needs surgery when you can recover by getting falling down drunk, right? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker Big Grin