New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout scope on .375H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to mount a 2.3-8x32 extended eye reliefe scope on my .375H&H.
After playing around with two pistol scopes on handguns, I found them to be nothing short of crap, and they were both(supposedly) good quality scopes.
One Leupold 4x and a Nikon 2.5 - 8 or somthing.

The main problem was that they seemed to be very sensitive to sideways movement.
You could very easily loose the picture and it was hard to maintain the right distance for correct eye relief.

Now, I realize that mounted on a rifle things will be a lot more stable but what kind of success have people had with long eye reliefe scopes at higher mag (8x) on a rifle?

The scope I am eying off is the Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8x32mm Extended Eye Relief
http://www.leupold.com/products/products_highlights.asp

It is supposed to be a handgun scope, which is now worrying to me since I had a look through some.
Eye reliefe is 45cm at all magnification, which is reassuring at least.

Any advice?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Aussie,

From my experience I would not recommend it.

Here is a link to a review of the Scout Concept I did for Snper Country.

http://www.snipercountry.com/ScoutConcept.html

Up to about 4X you can still shoot with both eyes open, above that in power your brain has trouble putting the images together. The two-eyed shooting is the major sighting advantage of the scout scope. If you lose that, you don't have much left.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like scout scopes, but like the above poster I wouldn't do it either. After much research and trying of a pistol scope on my scout rifle I decided to get the Burris Scout Scope. This was a very good choice becasue it was made for the purpose and a hand gun scope is not. In short here's why. A handgun scope is designed for and eye relief of 14-24"(full extenson of your arms). A scout scope is designed for an eyerelief of 7-9" (forward of chamber mount). That is a big difference and one of the reasons you get the wiggles and why it's hard to use. If you actually try a Leupold or Burris scout scope in 2.5X or 2.75X respectively, you will find that much of the problem goes away, but now you have a fixed low power scope and you may not like that. I happen to like how fast it is to sight and use in big game situations but for others it's a total pain. For a DGR, I'd skip the scout and go traditional mount with a 1-5x scope, but that's me.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I think 3X is about the max that would work in the Scout Scope role. Beyond that, the eye relief gets too short and the light pencil coming out of the scope is too narrow to reliably index with the scope at cheek weld.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote