Find
Notify
Tools

Variable Scope for Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Looking for opinions on the maximum number for the minimum magnification for Buffalo. In other words what variable magnification is too high on the low end?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For a couple of years I used a 1.5-5 X Leupold scope for buffalo.

Then switched to a 2.5-8x ever since.
I have used this to hunt with now for many years, and for the 375/404, it is perfect.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66993 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first safari to Zim for buff, I shot everything with my 375 H&H topped with a 2.5-8x leupold scope. Shots were from 20 to 150 yards. The buff was shot at approx. 30 yards. The 2.5-8x is a great all around hunting scope.

Oh yeah, even on the 150 yard shot, I don't think I ever increased the setting higher than 2.5x and it worked fine.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a perfect quality scope for everything in Africa would be the Leupold VX3 1.75-6. Low enough for Buffalo in thick cover and powerful enough for the smaller (Impala sized) game up to two hundred yards away.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Swarovski Z6I 1-6x24 on my 404 Jeffery. The reticle is the illuminated circle dot.

Buddy Roberts

Posts: 183 | Location: Bedford, Texas | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The 1.5x5 Leupold will probably get the most votes because that is what people have and have had good luck with. Personally I think a 375 deserves a 1.75x6 or as Saeed suggested a 2.5x8 which I actually have on my 375 H&H and my 375 Weatherby. The 1.5x5 has loads of FOV but is severely lacking in low light transmission at the upper end of its magnification.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have used a few configs, but what I do not like is the 20mm tube... Looks like I am looking thru a pipe, way to small... 2/8 x scopes are perfect... But any end bell that is 30mm or larger lots of light and bigger viewing area...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am no expert, but can only speak to what has worked for me.

I have never found the Leupold 20mm objective lenses lacking in the field. (Remember that we are not talking about shooting lion or leopard at dawn or dusk here!)

It is true that a 20mm Leupold will not be as bright as a German or Austrian scope with a 24mm objective lens, but the practical difference for buffalo hunting will be nil, IMHO.

I think that a 1.5-6, 1.5-5 or 1.25-4 power variable, or a fixed 2.5, 3 or 4 power scope, is fine for a buffalo rifle.

I would also not hesitate to use a 2.5-8 power variable as Saeed does, especially where more than buffalo may be hunted with the same rifle.

Still, I have never had a variable scope set higher than 3 or 4 power when shooting buffalo. We are talking close range here!

I have had my scope set lower, and have used a fixed 2.5 power scope (also a Leupold with a 20mm objective), all to good effect.

I have never had to follow up a wounded buffalo. If that ever happens (God forbid), I would want my scope cranked down as low as possible. (I would want no more magnification than 2.5x, and preferably less than that.)

In the alternative, depending on the circumstances, I might remove the scope altogether in favor of express sights.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.75X6 is my preferred configuration.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 1.5-5 on my 375 H&H and it works great. On low power, you can shoot with both eyes open.

Having said that, I find it lacking for the longer shots and I'm thinking about changing to a Leupold 2.5-8 like I have on my '06 or something similar with an illuminated reticle.

Anybody looking for a trade?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have a 2-7x Leupold on my .375 RUM. I've taken it on two African hunts, and it's worked great on everything from Buffalo to Steenbok, on shots from 30 to 348 yds.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 9,3x74R I have hunted cape buff with its 1.5 to 6x42 Swarovski with the illuminated circle dot reticle worked perfect for the buff and plains game.

On my 450/400 double I have a S&B 1.1 to 4x24 with the illuminated flash dot. I have used it for lains game and wild igs as well. I used iron shghts when i took my cape buff and elephant, but I did use the scoe for lion.

My wife used the scope for her cape buff.

I always walk around with the scope on its lowest power. When I start to shoot, if I want more magnification, and usually I do, I just crank up the power as I raise the rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
I think a perfect quality scope for everything in Africa would be the Leupold VX3 1.75-6. Low enough for Buffalo in thick cover and powerful enough for the smaller (Impala sized) game up to two hundred yards away.
. I put a 1.5-6x40 Burris on on my 416 Rem , then 9.3x64 then 375 Ruger .... That scope has killed a bunch of stuff so far and I havn,t found it lacking yet ... Because of it,s low light brightness and fov , I,m considering getting one for my 223 for calling fur at night ......It has the Electro Dot which is awesome in daylight and for fast shots as it seems to grab my focus on the center of the cross hair .. Once I started using it running shots at reasonable ranges became easy .....
At 300 yards it would be no problem shooting fox size animals accurately and on 1.5 x it has plenty of fov for 3-4 yards ...........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1-4X, 1.5-5X, etc. is plenty of magnification for buffalo, nothing more is needed, and the little Leupold has been (and deserves to be) the most popular "dangerous game scope." For buffalo the real crux is the lowest magnification, NOT the highest. A 1.75-6X or 2-7X should be just fine, and because the cartridge is so versatile I have recently used a 3-9X Trijicon on my .375 Ruger. Sure don't need (or use!) the magnification for buffalo, but the extra power is great for longer shots on plains game or situations where precision is essential, like crocodile or smaller antelope. I have not been hampered by 3X even at very close range, but I shoot left-handed/left eye dominant, so shoot a scope with both eyes open. This can be a major issue, so specifically for buffalo a low end of no greater than 2X is probably ideal.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've settled upon:
.375H&H = 1.75-6x Leupold duplex
.416REM = 1.5-5x Leupold illuminated circle-dot
.458Lott = 1.5-5x Leupold illuminated circle-dot

I am a big fan of the 1.5-5x with the illuminated circle-dot reticle for use on Buff and Ele because of the dark hide, especially at early or last light or when hunting in the jungle with shadows. The reticle is extremely fast in my experience.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
A 1-4X, 1.5-5X, etc. is plenty of magnification for buffalo, nothing more is needed, and the little Leupold has been (and deserves to be) the most popular "dangerous game scope." For buffalo the real crux is the lowest magnification, NOT the highest. A 1.75-6X or 2-7X should be just fine, and because the cartridge is so versatile I have recently used a 3-9X Trijicon on my .375 Ruger. Sure don't need (or use!) the magnification for buffalo, but the extra power is great for longer shots on plains game or situations where precision is essential, like crocodile or smaller antelope. I have not been hampered by 3X even at very close range, but I shoot left-handed/left eye dominant, so shoot a scope with both eyes open. This can be a major issue, so specifically for buffalo a low end of no greater than 2X is probably ideal.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I have a 1.5-5x on the .375 at present but feel with Plains Game in Namibia potentially needing some distance and as Craig mentioned Croc needing precision I have been looking at a Swarovski 2.5 x 10 - 42 at a reduced price.

I guess my concern was about the 2.5 offering enough FOV in a potentially hairy close up Buffalo situation.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see Swarovski has come out with a 2 x 12 x 50mm scope with a fairly high eye relief and extended field of view.

I realize this is not the preferred DG type of scope but they when the 375 H&H came out scopes weren't much preferred either.

Times change.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the new Nikon African scopes. The 30MM is 1.1 x 4 and can be had illuminated. I would also consider the Trijicon 1x4. I'm planning to put the Trijicon on a 458 Lott with Talley quick detachable rings.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:

Works perfectly on my M70 416 Rem Mag

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.5-5x20. German #4 reticle. Have made shots from 20 yards to 300 with it. Going over in July and I'm not changing a thing.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my DG rifles it's either 1.75 x 6 Lupy, 3 x 9 Trijicon or 3 X 9 Zeiss. For my upcoming trip to Moz on the 9.3 x 62 CZ it's the 3 x 9 Trijicon as the primary and the 3 X 9 Zeiss as the backup. IMO if a 2.5 by something is OK, then the 3 by something is not a problem. I also shoot with both eyes open, so the Trijicon is the cats meow. With the illuminated reticle it will be great for everything I run across in the daylight and will be at home in the Leopard blind as well.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Jim,

The 1.5x5 Leupold will probably get the most votes because that is what people have and have had good luck with. Personally I think a 375 deserves a 1.75x6 or as Saeed suggested a 2.5x8 which I actually have on my 375 H&H and my 375 Weatherby. The 1.5x5 has loads of FOV but is severely lacking in low light transmission at the upper end of its magnification.

Mark

+1

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Any votes for the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5? Heavier yes, but...

PS: For all the bashing Leupold gets, it sure seems to be the brand of choice in this thread.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Any votes for the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5? Heavier yes, but...

PS: For all the bashing Leupold gets, it sure seems to be the brand of choice in this thread.

I have tried every available scope on the market, and we get rifles in here that have scopes from different manufacturers, including all the major European.

But, as far as I am concerned, for a hunting scope, none comes even close to Leupold.

I was asked why I changed from the 1.5-5 Leupold to the 2.5-8.

Two reasons really.

I find it very distracting to look at the end of the barrel when the scope is set on 1.5x.

Second is I find the larger magnification comes in very handy when trying to shoot something at relatively long distance, as I use one rifle for everything.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66993 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes, rnovi, that Zeiss 1.8-5.5 was just too long and heavy. I don't get that geometry for a low powered variable. Zeiss just missed the boat on that one, IMHO.

The new model Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 will be the standard bearer for the budget conscious, and for those wanting substantial eye relief, for the foreseeable future, IMHO.

For those with more scratch, and less concern about eye relief, the S&B, Kahles and Swarovski 1.25 or 1.1 to 4x24s may offer more appeal. But for most folks who struggle with shorter than optimal lengths of pull, we are talking .416 and lesser calibers here.

But with my proper LOP rifles, I have used the S&Bs and Swaros on rifles up to .458 Lott with no eye relief problems.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
"I find it very distracting to look at the end of the barrel when the scope is set on 1.5x.

Second is I find the larger magnification comes in very handy when trying to shoot something at relatively long distance, as I use one rifle for everything."

+1

The Leupold Europeans in 1.5-4 and 2-7 are very nice I might add. They have a little more light gathering and are similarly priced to the vx3. For my money the leupold vx3 1.75-6 and the european 2-7 are the ticket depending on weather you want 1" or 30mm.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I often use the Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6x42 and find this a great scope for most African conditions.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
1.5X5 Leupold----Enough said!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit, I have not hunted Buffalo yet, but I have hunted whitetail and a few hogs in very different kinds of terrain with a 416 Rigby, from thickets to fairly open woodlots, fire-brakes, etc. To simulate what Buffalo hunting I may encounter when I actually go, I use a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 30mm tube matte with the NP-1 reticle. Again I'm still a damn greenhorn but I dont see how that scope can be beat for buffalo or anything else in Africa...Good Luck..Jerry

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I am going to deviate from popular opinion here. I have a tough time beleiving that someone on a DG hunt is going to engage a target of opportunity at more than 100-150 yards. Assuming that's the case, why mess around with anything beyond a fixed 2.5x Leupold? I have taken large game at this distance with this scope and there's plenty of magnification...yet not so much that you can get yourself in trouble at under 50 yards. Wonder how many animals at under 50 yards have been lost in a scope cranked up to 6x...or how many have walked away as the hunter frantically fiddles with the magnification.

One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
I have 2.5-8 X 36 in my 375 H & H, and also I carry along a sighted 1.5-5 X 20 spare scope. Since scope glass is the weakest link of all your hunting instruments, I think the only way to go is by this combination.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I am no expert, but can only speak to what has worked for me.

I have never found the Leupold 20mm objective lenses lacking in the field. (Remember that we are not talking about shooting lion or leopard at dawn or dusk here!)

It is true that a 20mm Leupold will not be as bright as a German or Austrian scope with a 24mm objective lens, but the practical difference for buffalo hunting will be nil, IMHO.

I think that a 1.5-6, 1.5-5 or 1.25-4 power variable, or a fixed 2.5, 3 or 4 power scope, is fine for a buffalo rifle.

I would also not hesitate to use a 2.5-8 power variable as Saeed does, especially where more than buffalo may be hunted with the same rifle.

Still, I have never had a variable scope set higher than 3 or 4 power when shooting buffalo. We are talking close range here!

I have had my scope set lower, and have used a fixed 2.5 power scope (also a Leupold with a 20mm objective), all to good effect.

I have never had to follow up a wounded buffalo. If that ever happens (God forbid), I would want my scope cranked down as low as possible. (I would want no more magnification than 2.5x, and preferably less than that.)

In the alternative, depending on the circumstances, I might remove the scope altogether in favor of express sights.

I agree with everything mrlexmaposted above EXCEPT the sentence in bold above! In that case I want the scope OFF my rifle all together. That is why all my DGRs that are scoped are fitted with both Iron sights, and scopes in QD rings & bases! I also find a lighted reticle to be the nuts for placeing shots on those BLACK buffalo,whenthey are running, even in broad daylight!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
I am going to deviate from popular opinion here. I have a tough time beleiving that someone on a DG hunt is going to engage a target of opportunity at more than 100-150 yards. Assuming that's the case, why mess around with anything beyond a fixed 2.5x Leupold?

Because I will be using the same rifle and scope in Namibia for plains game on the same trip.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
I am going to deviate from popular opinion here. I have a tough time beleiving that someone on a DG hunt is going to engage a target of opportunity at more than 100-150 yards. Assuming that's the case, why mess around with anything beyond a fixed 2.5x Leupold?

Because I will be using the same rifle and scope in Namibia for plains game on the same trip.

Because you frequently use one rifle to hunt everything and need versitility. Also I kind of prefer a lower power than 2.5 up close on DG. I leave all my scopes on the lowest power posible and then adjust them as the situation dictates.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I know it isn't the norm, but I like a 3x9. 3x isn't bad up close, and if you have to shoot a buff at 75 yards, you can sure pick a spot. It is also handy when you want to shoot a PG animal...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 2.5-8 X 36 in my 375 H & H, and also I carry along a sighted 1.5-5 X 20 spare scope. Since scope glass is the weakest link of all your hunting instruments, I think the only way to go is by this combination.

Why not carry a second scope that is the exact same as your first? I have heard many people carry a second, different scope than their main one and have never understood why.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
How about the March D10V24M scope?
http://www.deon.co.jp/march/1X-10X25_hunting.html
Seems like it would cover all bases.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I followed another path. I bought a 2nd hand Leupold 1-4x20 VXIIc off the internet. Sent it off to the Leupold service centre for a full service and fitment of a #4 reticle and click adjustment turrets. Cost was less than a new 1.5-5. It did not change adjustment during tranport to Africa, is light and has excellent eye relief.

Yes, the front sight blade is annoying at 1x but you can shoot with both eyes open.

At 4x I had no problems getting a full sight picture of an Eland running at 40 metres just 8 minutes before dark. I also had no problems sighting in on Kudu at 237 yards.

This is just an economical and reliable option to more exotic scopes.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the Leupold 1.5x5x20 and for buff it is fine. But if you will use the same rifle for hyhena or leopard or lion or caracal or... it just doesn't cut it for low light.

I switched to an S&B 1.1x4x24 with an illuminated reticle and performance in low light is incomparably better.

Choosing a scope today, I would select the Swaro 1x6x24. As near as perfect as possible in my mind.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I agree with MacD37 about the black color of buff making it hard to see the crosshairs. I have had experiences where the buff was standing in brush and in shade and I could tell it was there but could not for the life of me see the crosshairs.

This is even worse if the shooter is in the light and the buff is in the shade - there is too much contrast.

After packing variable scopes around I have now switched to a fixed 3x Leupold on my bolt trash and double rifle. Like Mrlexma, I find that it is rare that I ever moved the variable off 3 power anyway and the compact 3 powers are lighter and less top heavy when aiming the rifle.

If Leupold makes one with an illuminated reticle it would be perfect for me - I need to look into that.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote