New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Two Rifle Battery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a topic which I am somewhat borrowing from a post on the Big Bore forums. What is your choice of the best two interchangable rifle cartridges for an African safari? These rifles would have to be able to handle everything from game at long range to dangerous game at close range. If one rifle failed, the other would have to be the perfect backup for the failed rifle. That is to say, it would also have to be capable of taking game at long range and dangerous game at short range. Is there such a combination? I picked a .375 H&H magnum and a .416 Remington magnum for their versatility and power.

Thanks,

jfm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Dangerous Game is on the menu, then both rifles have to be capable of handling DG, which limits the bottom end to a 375 (or 9.3 where legal). I would take my 505 and 378.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
My choice would be:
1. 9.3x62 with a Zeiss ASV-recticle so that also shots at a greater distance are possible.
2. .416 Rem. Magn.
Rgds,
Andy

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had 3 rifles for the two of us - 375 H&H, 450/400 3", and a 416 Ruger. Killed stuff with each one.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jfm

I asked a similiar question of Hilton Nichols when I hunted with him several year ago and I can't find anything wrong with his answer to this day. He recommended bringing two identical scoped 375's. He felt the scoped 375 was adequate for everything as a client rifle and the second 375 would be a back up.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I planning such trip with two rifles and my choices are:

.375 H&H Ackley Improved - 300 gr. Failsafe & Accubond bullets

.416-375 RUM (UltraCAT) - 400 gr. Nosler Part & 350 Tipped TSX Barnes

Both loaded to they potential in 26.5" barrels.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it's model 70's in 375HH and 458win mag, topped with Leupold 2-8x40 and 1.5-5x20. 

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A double rifle in .500NE or .470NE and a bolt action .375H&H. I think it is tough to come up with a "one size fits all" approach for everything from elephant to duiker.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Last trip I took a 404 Jeff and a 375 H&H. My PH said that was the battery his father used.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I believe jfm nailed it on the first try.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
I picked a .375 H&H magnum and a .416 Remington magnum for their versatility and power.

I have taken this pair and it worked well. Next time will take either a double 450/400 or a bolt action 404 Jeffery with a 375 H&H. For plains game only a 30 caliber and 375 H&H is what I prefer.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the .338 Win Mag and .416 Rem.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to a recent incedent I am going with matching 416's. One with 1X4 and other with 3x9.

sight one for solids and other for plains game but you still have full interchangeability and a full ammo load-out given the 5 k airline limit.

SSR

and lots of spare parts tu2

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't take two rifles of the same caliber through JNB, unless your bags are checked through and don't clear customs at JNB.

The elegant solution to this dilemma is to take a double rifle with double triggers and a detachable scope. If one side fails, the other will work. Caliber could be 9.3x74R, 375 Flanged, 375 H&H, 450-400, 500/416 or 416 Rem Mag

A more interesting question is a two rifle battery for all hunting, from Varmints to Elephant. For me it would be a FinnClassic 512 combo with a 12ga over 9.3x74R and detachable scope or a double rifle in 9.3 up to 416, with a spare set of shotgun bbls, plus a good scoped bolt rifle in a caliber in the 250 Savage up to 7x64 bracket. I could shoot sage rats, prairie dogs, deer, elk, birds, buffalo and everything in betweeen with those two.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not a new question, that has an age old answer.

.375 H&H and .470 NE.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As long as one of them was a .375 H&H Mag. and the other was bigger, I'd be happy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Nderobo:
I believe jfm nailed it on the first try.

+1

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby and 375 HH, works perfect

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Searcy 470 Nitro DR, and my FN Mauser 375 H&H Imp.

My gunsmith is thinking we should cut an interrupted thread on the receiver and barrel, and add a barrel in 300H&H. If it works, I would probably add a third barrel in 458 Lott.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 NE and 375 H&H served me well.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ Gould:
You can't take two rifles of the same caliber through JNB, unless your bags are checked through and don't clear customs at JNB.[QUOTE]

DAMN IT buearocrats messing up a good plan

Roll Eyes

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Your criteria are:

(1) DG legal; and,
(2) Shoots PG at long distances.

The answer is one of the various 375s and one of the various 416.

Both will be bolt rifles with scopes.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Not a new question, that has an age old answer.

.375 H&H and .470 NE.

This is exactly what I used, worked perfectly.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scenerio stated here, because of ele being a part, dictates that if a two gun battery is taken they would have to be in reality very close to being two rifles of like caliber. I would never do that, would simply take an extra scope for ONE rifle that fits this criteria and if worse came to worse, borrow a "camp" rifle from the PH. I most likely would check with the PH to see if a rifle of like caliber to mine would be available, thus ammo would not become an issue.

If the question of a two gun battery was one for PG and the other for DG, which makes more sense to me, I would opt for a 300 H & H and a .400 something. JMTCW.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby and a 300 Win. Then a 375 RUM and a 505. Then again same as the first trip. Got to do it in a style that's memorable, but that's variable based on the individual. With your criteria of both good for DG I think I'd go with the 375 and 505.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
For my next trip I will take my pre 64 375 Improved (300 grain Bitterroot at 2,800 fps for PG and buffalo with a few 300 grain NF FN solids as emergency elephant gun) and my 450 Dakota built on highly customized CZ550 action with McMillan stock. The Dakota is fast enough for long range (2550 fps to 2750 fps) with the 400 or 450 grain North Fork, and can handle 450, 500 or 550 grain for elephant.

I just took the Dalota my first hunt and wanted a rifle with more magnificaiton and shorter time of flight for PG but it will do.

No scope for the 450 Dakota, just a big peep for ele and a 1.1 x 6 Swarovski for either rifle for PG and buff.

Andy

PS I cannot help but put in a word for the late George Hoffman from his grave. 416 Remington with 1.5 x 5 scope for everything and a Remington 870 pump 12 ga for birds and wounded cats!

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the .375 H&H for the light and a .416 Rigby for the heavy. Works well for me. I don't think there is any real difference between any of the 416/404 rounds for effect on game.

Once I get used to the double, I might use the .470 NE in place of the .416, but until I feel as confident with it, probably not unless I was hunting elephant or Rhino, where the range becomes a nonissue.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 win mag and 500NE...and just bring the rain!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A scoped 9.3x64 and a 470 double would be my pick.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H and .458 Lott

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
.375H&H with a couple of S&B scopes would definitely be in the tuffy. Only real question would be to take the .458WM magazine rifle or the .470 double. Probably the latter.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that if you have a rifle of great quality, pack it in a very durable rifle case and pick a good scope why would you have to bring two? Have you too little confidence in your equipment?

If I were taking rifles, it would be a Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H Magnum and an extra barrel; probably in 300 Weatherby Magnum or 257 Weatherby Magnum depending on what the rules were regarding chamberings legal for hunting. I would then take two scopes in QD rings because I believe scopes to be the weakest part in the whole equation.

That said, the battery for my next trip will probably be handguns in 460 S&W Magnum and 375 H&H Magnum or 444 Marlin. You know, don't you, that you can fit two handguns easily in a piece of regular locking hardsided luggage of standard size with room to spare for clothes and other stuff.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
.375 H&H and .458 Lott

I think like you.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every hunt I've been on I carry this combination. Always a scoped .375H&H and either a 470NE or a .458 Lott.

On my last hunt my .470 NE tanked the day before I left for Zim and my .458 Lott Tanked the day I got there so I wound up hunting everything with my .375H&H.

Both rifles that tanked were "quality" rifles and both had unbelievable and uncommon break downs. The Searcy .470 snapped a main action spring on the left barrel and the Brockman's MRC actioned .458 lott had a mystery firing spring failure that Jim told me is all to common on some older MRC actions.

In any case THAT is WHY you bring two rifles. Sometimes stuff happens.

Now that I have a .404 Jeffery I have a delema. Do bring the .375H&H and the .404 or the .404 and the .470 Hmmmmm...Don't you just love those kind of "problems"!!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:
This is a topic which I am somewhat borrowing from a post on the Big Bore forums. What is your choice of the best two interchangable rifle cartridges for an African safari? These rifles would have to be able to handle everything from game at long range to dangerous game at close range. If one rifle failed, the other would have to be the perfect backup for the failed rifle. That is to say, it would also have to be capable of taking game at long range and dangerous game at short range. Is there such a combination? I picked a .375 H&H magnum and a .416 Remington magnum for their versatility and power.

Thanks,

jfm

The only things that fit your bill above are .416's coupled with .375/9.3's.

A .375/9.3 with a 3X9 Trijicon and a .416 with a 1X5 Leupold.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with AZ writer that a .338 and a .416 are good choices.

A .338 punches way above its weight; it's a real killer and it just hammers plains game.

On the other hand, there are lots of good choices.

A .338 will kill just about anything, but a .375 keeps you legal. Plus, my .338 is a Ruger and I hate the tiny safety. I'll probably sell my .338 once I burn through the ammo I have on hand, and just keep my Kimber Talkeetna.

But considering I live in Texas where nothing needs to be killed with a .338, and the rate I use up .338 ammo when I do travel, I'll probably have the thing forever.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I once took a .458 Win Mag bolt action rifle with a 1.5x5 Leupold and a 9.3x74 Merkel 141(e) double with a Leupold 1.75x6x Leupold.

The irons on the .458 were regulated for 500 grain solids (elephant) and the scope for 350 grain X bullets (the old kind) for plains game.

The double shot everything I put in it to the same point of impact, but I primarily used 250 grain X bullets sighted in 2" high at 100 yards. BTW, I've killed zebra, buffalo, kudu, kongoni... you name it, with the 250 grain Barnes with zero trouble.

I took some Woodleigh 286 grain solids for the double, too, and with the iron sights on the gun, they grouped aobut 2" at 30 yards if I needed to use them for the elephant.

Perhaps there are better two gun batteries, but I sure enjoyed using the rifles I took and would not hesitate to use either gun in substitution for the other if needed (which wasn't on my safari).

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
I agree with AZ writer that a .338 and a .416 are good choices.

A .338 punches way above its weight; it's a real killer and it just hammers plains game.

On the other hand, there are lots of good choices.

A .338 will kill just about anything, but a .375 keeps you legal. Plus, my .338 is a Ruger and I hate the tiny safety. I'll probably sell my .338 once I burn through the ammo I have on hand, and just keep my Kimber Talkeetna.

But considering I live in Texas where nothing needs to be killed with a .338, and the rate I use up .338 ammo when I do travel, I'll probably have the thing forever.

Nilga, feral mexican cattle on the river, white tail in thick brush, turtles at 200yrds , lots of stuff in Texas for a 338.

I still want to take 2 416s one with 1x4 and one with 3x9 matched pair like the old doubles. Lots of redundency. May just have to figure out how to avoid RSA.

SSR

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:

Thanks,

jfm

If one reads his post...for his criteria....338 won't be legal anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .375/9.3 and .416/.404 combo.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote