New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Open Letter to Mark Sullivan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich: You're my friend. I'm asking you to please tone it down and exercise more restraint in your posts about MS. It's not right for the forum. You'll still be my friend, if you choose to stay the course. And one day big boy, you should change your allegiance to become a Cubs fan!

Degas: It's also out of line to talk about gut shooting a fellow AR member. That's not the way to resolve differences in here.

Both of you hash it out within PM's. We're grown men and we shouldn't post content like that on a public forum. I don't care what your backgrounds are. We're all tough guys in one way or another and a difference in opinion shouldn't lead to threatening taunts.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
Mark Sullivan is to hunting what Madonna is to music.

First I read from Rich in another thread that Sullivan may be Chinese (and I thought he was another shanty Irishman), now the he may be a she?

This is all too much. Next thing we'll hear is that he wears those traffic cone things on his chest like Madonna while in the bush.

The room is spinning - I need to sit down.......

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich

you're nuttier than squirrel shit.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMHO, if the PH ever fires his rifle the hunt was a failure.

Wow....really? What if he does not fire and the animal kills someone or gets away wounded....success?

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hazzard a guess that no PH has control of the clients ability to place a well aimed shot under duress....or to make a good follow up shot after screwing up the first one. Poorly thought out statement.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post

Rich,

If you'd just lay off the grandiloquent macho rhetoric you wouldn't get anywhere near the shit that you do.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
Can anyone here please explain to me why so many on forums equate the number of posts with experience? It’s not just here, but ‘net wide.

Albert Einstein could post on a forum but until he had over a thousand posts, many wouldn’t give him the time of day. But then a man like Albert would probably never make a thousand posts. He’d be too busy actually doing something.

The first time someone posts something they are a “newbie” and have no creditability regardless what they’ve done or where they’ve been or how old they are or what experience they have.

That being said, it makes little difference how long one has been there or how old one is or what they’ve done. It is like a hand told me once long ago - “It ain’t how long you’ve been there, it’s what you’ve learned since you’ve been there”.

If and when Mark Sullivan makes a post, it will be his first here making him a “newbie” and therefore, lack any creditability so anything he says won’t count anyway to some. At least until he has a four digit post count.

The one and only MS video I saw turned me off and I based my judgment of the man on that one film. I don’t care for what appeared to me as provoking a charge from a wounded animal instead of dispatching them posthaste. But that’s just me.

Those I’ve spoken with who actually know the man say he is a genuinely pleasant person and stated that if I ever met him I would most likely think differently of him. This remains to be seen. I’m fairly certain I will indeed like the man should I ever chance to meet him, but I’m also fairly certain I’ll still dislike his methods even if they do work for him.

From all appearances he has gotten a raw deal from SCI and deserves an explanation and for what it’s worth, I’ll support him in that regard.

David

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Rich
DRSS

Now, let me word this carefully so as to not offend the un-intended. You speak highly of Ivan Carter, and I too respect him, but he fires his gun a lot!! Just watch "Boddington on Elephant", and I am sure you have. So, are all of those hunts failures, or are you just being hypocritical???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
As stated in an earlier post on another thread, anyone who knows me can tell you I'm not a fan of MS's all to often habit of shooting clients animals,or talking at length to the camera with a suffering animal clearly visable in the background where clearly the animal could have been dispatched humainely instead of running his mouth. The above is not rumor, but fact, presented by himself!

Still I don't go along with pileing on on anyone here, and conveneing a Kangaroo Court.

However, he is under no obligation to answer to anyone here for anything. I do think MS was unfairly treated by SCI if indeed they did bann him whithout explanation.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Paladin 56, I agree: Harry Selby has 13 posts.

One thing I learned early in age the hardway is that you don't learn anything by running your mouth. Not saying I practice it all the time.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin 56:
Can anyone here please explain to me why so many on forums equate the number of posts with experience? It’s not just here, but ‘net wide.

Albert Einstein could post on a forum but until he had over a thousand posts, many wouldn’t give him the time of day. But then a man like Albert would probably never make a thousand posts. He’d be too busy actually doing something.

David

You are absolutely correct! A high number of posts only indicates a poster has been around for a while nothing more, while Too few is no indication that the poster has no experience either. The number means absolutely nothing. It is the content of those posts that is an indication of experience and/or learning.

Going by too few or a high number of posts only indicates the READER is either ASSUNMING the few means no experience when the poster may have been hunting for 50 or 60 years in the field. On the other side he is assuming that if a person has a high number of posts, he must have spent his whole life on the internet, and done nothing though he too may have 50 or 60 yrs in the field as well.

Both ways are assumption and only that an "assumption"! Few or high, the poster also may have 50 or 60 years in the field, or be strictly an armchair expert, or have a high number and just be old and/or in poor health to spend much time in the field now, but has the time to post.

It all boils down to the number of posts means nothing pro or con as far as experience, knowledge, or the lack thereof! Again it is the content that counts!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I disagree with ms approach to hunting with clients.

Finally!!! There's a valid and meaningful discussion we could persue. No BS. No inuendo. No outright lies. Here's the thing. What you see in SOME of the scenes in his videos is merely the experience he provides for SOME of his clients who ask for it and he likes enough and trusts enough to give to them. The rest of his clients on the videos and those who never make it to video have an experience no different than most.....excepting the personality of Mark Sullivan.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me repeat myself: If the PH fires a shot, the hunt was a failure.

The PH is there to find the game and then protect the client. If the client cannot kill his game cleanly, without the assistance of the PH; then the client is a failure.

I do not think I have read anybody posting here that he wounded his animals and was then glad the PH was there to kill them for him.

I stand prepared to be corrected.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Rich
DRSS

Now, let me word this carefully so as to not offend the un-intended. You speak highly of Ivan Carter, and I too respect him, but he fires his gun a lot!! Just watch "Boddington on Elephant", and I am sure you have. So, are all of those hunts failures, or are you just being hypocritical???

Rich must really like "failed" hunts because he's aweful keen on hunting with Ivan!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:

The PH is there to find the game and then protect the client.......

....and stop wounded animals from escaping and dispatch wounded animals as the need arises as an arm of the game department.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The PH is there to find the game and then protect the client. If the client cannot kill his game cleanly, without the assistance of the PH; then the client is a failure.

I do not think I have read anybody posting here that he wounded his animals and was then glad the PH was there to kill them for him.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Rich,

You stand corrected. Three years ago I posted a hunt report on a PAC hunt in Omay with George Hallamore. One of the bulls that I shot was a frontal, uphill with the morning sun behind him. I shot about three inches too high and the bullet went over the brain. The bull wiped around and was covered by brush before I could fire again. George was able to put a 416 into its lungs and we found it dead about 400 yards away. I was very very glad that he took that shot (as we discussed before hand) or it probably would have got away wounded. No way do I consider that a failed hunt. I just don't claim it as one of my animals (although I did pay for it).

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Rich
DRSS

Aaron N. I don't presume to answer for Idaho,he can answer quite well for himself.

I have no way of knowing about the agreement MS has with his clients as far as him shooting along with the client. He and his clients may well have an understanding on that point.

However, C. Boddington almost insists on being backed up on dangerous game, as a matter of course. Boddington, has always maintained the he always backs up his own shots on dangerous game, and likes the PH to punch him as well if the animal is not stopped, especially on dangerous game!

I feel much the same way. I always back up my own shots, even on non-dangerous game if they aren't poll-axed. The only objection I have to the PH shooting my animal is if he shoots first when there is not reason to do so with noone being in danger. If he does, then we have a problem. I see nothing hypocritical about that!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac - ISS says that if a PH fires a shot, the hunt and now the hunter, are both failures. Yet, he praises Ivan all the time, and Ivan shoots frequently. To me, that's fine, but Rich is being critical of one and praising the other?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope,

I never said Ivan Carter was perfect. Of course, he's shooting as a last resort, to keep the client alive, or to anchor a wounded animal leaving the area.

The difference; mark sullivan plans to kill his client's animal. Ivan Carter kills the client's animal as a necessity.

Those two are 180-degrees apart in philosophy.

I never said I wouldn't let a PH take a shot. If he feels he needs to, as a last resort only, then he should. If that happens, then I have failed as a hunter.

If he shoots before that, he is a failure.

I would bet the ranch, that if mark sullivan had to sign a binding legal contract that he did not get paid the trophy or daily fees if he shot the client's animal (except in a dire emergency), he would be out of the video business in three months. Likely out of the safari business in one season.

If you see me in a video shooting an animal, and the animal is still standing three seconds later; I am either shooting it again or reloading.

That is how it is supposed to work, you shoot, you kill the animal, the PH is there in case of a serious jugf--k on your part.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No post yet.

mark sullivan is crying like a baby because SCI won't give him his day in court.
He has that opportunity here, and now; in the court of public opinion. He's a no-show.

His statements here could be forwarded, with a brief note of support from each individual, to SCI. Think of us as a couple thousand (potentially) amicus curae briefs in his behalf.

No post yet. The silence is deafening gentlemen...

regards,

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

regards,

Rich
DRSS

You seem to post a lot but not read too much of others' posts! I am not going to do your reading for you and tell where to find such examples! Frowner

I have read in print of a well known gun writer (C.Bodington or P.Shoemaker??) who went on a Marco polo sheep hunt and hit an animal at about 500 yards. But he was not in good enough shape to go after it and finish it. His "Russian" guides went and found the animal , finished it and brought it back. The hunter / writer (CB or PS???) had the honesty to put all the facts on the table. ......and there is no question about his credibility.

All "great" or famous people have had failures. It is a real cheap shot to look down on others' failures!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Rich,

I'll bite. I've been on 14 safaris most of which have been 21-30 or more days. I've hunted 8 Afican countries and shot 65 different species. Note species not animals. This is not a brag but just to let you know I have a litte more experience than you in hunting Africa.

On two occasions the PH has fired a shot. Once on a trophy bull ele hunt in Botswana I told Garry Kelly to shoot if the ele made a move after he hit the ground. He did move and Garry fired once and myself three more times. The point is to finish the job anyway you can once you make put a bullet in the animal. The second time was when I hit a huge eland bull badly. Neil Duckworth asked if I minded if he shot if he had an opportunity on the follow up. My response was "Please do" and he did spine him the next day.

Rich if you do not understand that safari is a group effort you have missed what safari is about. The PH assisting as necessary is all part of the great experience and I'm very happy that these excellent PH's did shoot. The failure would have been if the animal got away wounded to die a long lingering death when these guy could have anchored it. You will make a bad shot eventually. Don't forget you already admitted completely missing that caracal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope,

The difference; mark sullivan plans to kill his client's animal. Ivan Carter kills the client's animal as a necessity.

Rich
DRSS

You draw this conclusion based on the videos? I am willing to wager that a safri with MS is quite a bit different without the cameras.

He's making films for entertainment's sake and judging by the outpouring of emotions here, his marketing is nothing short of brilliant.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never said Ivan Carter was perfect. Of course, he's shooting as a last resort, to keep the client alive, or to anchor a wounded animal leaving the area.

Big Grin

"Oh say can you see..........For your outstanding efforts it is my pleasure to award you the AR Olympic gold metal for mental gymnastics!..........by the dawn's early light....."

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am planning on a poll. Here are the options. I would appreciate your comments.

1 ISS (Rich) is actually an Executive Board member of SCI or a close associate of OOA & SCI top brass
2 ISS is prejudiced against MS (Mark Sullivan) and envies him
3 ISS is not very experience in Dangerous Game hunting
4 ISS is exhibiting very poor logic and common sense in his posts on MS
5 ISS has got himself in a hole and cannot find a way out without looking like a xyz%$#@
6 ISS would make a very poor lawyer and no one could trust his ability in a court of law
7 ISS is being totally unfair to MS and even to some other members of AR
8 All of the above
9 None of the above
10 ISS likes MS & respects him

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#8 and #10

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
No post yet. The silence is deafening gentlemen...

And your mouth is getting awfully irritating...

10000 posts is a lot of time to spend online making yourself into an expert. The way I figure it, about 3 minutes per post, thats 30,000 minutes of your life you have wasted on this site. Pull up your pants, get a life and pick up the phone to confront Mark yourself. AM i being hypocritical in taking the time to post this? Nah, for I still buy green bananas...

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
BaxterB:
VERY well put and about time!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Egomania

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Egomania is an obsessive preoccupation with one's self and applies to someone who follows their own ungoverned impulses and is possessed by delusions of personal greatness and feels a lack of appreciation. Someone suffering from this extreme egocentric focus is an egomaniac. The condition is psychologically abnormal.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think Idaho Sharpshooter would be perfectly happy to hunt with a PH like MS that is ready and willing for a properly placed follow-up shot.

In case ISS's magical floating rifle were some how take off like a damn baloon.

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

you should hunt with mark sullivan, from your videos you NEED somebody to kill your game for you.

BaxterB,

come over to the ranch and say that in person.

Nakihunter,

mark sullivan still hasn't posted. Nothing you say about me is:
A. germane to his failure to do so
B. going to get him to do so.

I never claimed to be the expert, but I kill my own game. If you ever hunt with mark sullivan you probably won't be able to say that afterwards.

He ain't gonna post, and all of his sycophants notwithstanding; mark sullivan is not going to appear here and tell his side of the SCI story.

Nothing any of you can say will change that, so DEAL WITH IT!!

Try as you will to shift the focus of the thread to me, mark sullivan's failure to post is the point. He ain't gonna ride up on that big white horse and save your lack of credibility. Save it for somebody who deserves it.

It's about mark sullivan, not me. At least I'm here to defend myself.

Y'all need to drop those crack pipes and step away from them.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Mark did just now post.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOPS, almost forgot. One other difference between me and marky-mark: I will be at SCI Reno next January.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal,

you should hunt with mark sullivan, from your videos you NEED somebody to kill your game for you.

BaxterB,

Nakihunter,

I never claimed to be the expert, but I kill my own game. If you ever hunt with mark sullivan you probably won't be able to say that afterwards.

He ain't gonna post, and all of his sycophants notwithstanding; mark sullivan is not going to appear here and tell his side of the SCI story.

Try as you will to shift the focus of the thread to me, mark sullivan's failure to post is the point. He ain't gonna ride up on that big white horse and save your lack of credibility. Save it for somebody who deserves it.

Rich
DRSS

Just thought this little gem needed a saving for all to enjoy, seeing how MS posted.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
BaxterB,

come over to the ranch and say that in person

Be glad to... you think you are the only person who is the same off-line as on? That ain't an exclusive club my friend. I'll respect you because of your age as I was taught by my folks, the rest of you, well, I just plain don't give a shit.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich
DRSS

diggin diggin diggin diggin diggin diggin diggin diggin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
quote:
Cal,

BaxterB,

Nakihunter,

Rich
DRSS

Just thought this little gem needed a saving for all to enjoy, seeing how MS posted.

Scottyboy,

I am begging you to please stop quoting his pathetic drunken ramblings; it really defeats the purpose of the ignore feature. Wink

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can use that button too, if I cause you such angst...

regards,

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Rich,
I have read many accounts where the hunter was glad for the back up shot by the PH. I had one and was darn glad Dean Kendall fired a shot. I made a killing shot on a buff (lungs) and the buff started running head down in our direction. It was not a charge as the buff was not looking at us. I fired one more shot, into the lungs and he got within about 7 steps when Dean brained him at the same time I shot him high through the neck.

I am no failure nor was the hunt nor was the PH. I think you may want to rethink your comments. The PH is obligated to shoot if he thinks it necessary.

I also noticed on Boddington on Buffalo that the Chifuti PH fires a shot or two on Craig's buff. I do not see Craig as a failure.

You may want to go on a few more hunts and gain some experience on this before getting too set in your ways or opinions.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal,

BaxterB,

Nakihunter,

Rich
DRSS

Shades of Ray Atkinson....
Roll Eyes

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote