New
Find
Notify
Tools

An impudent question about "safari"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing worse than the type of hunt and behavior you descibe is what you see on any of the many "deer hunting from a tree stand loaded down with a $1000 worth of excess gear" TV shows that abound. I especially like it when the intrepid host shoots a big white-tail that has been baited into the area and then follows it up ..... and the camera-man beat him to it so he can show the wonderous expression of joy as he finds "his" buck . I especially like the hushed tones and high 5's between him and the camera man......is there anything more exciting that that? sleep

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing worse than the type of hunt and behavior you descibe is what you see on any of the many "deer hunting from a tree stand loaded down with a $1000 worth of excess gear" TV shows that abound. I especially like it when the intrepid host shoots a big white-tail that has been baited into the area and then follows it up ..... and the camera-man beat him to it so he can show the wonderous expression of joy as he finds "his" buck . I especially like the hushed tones and high 5's between him and the camera man......is there anything more exciting that that?

You forgot to mention the over-exaggerated hyperventilating that always seems to follow the shot and before the high 5’s.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My last safari was in Northern Cameroon in Mar of 2004 (see story on the hunting page here on AR). My primary desired animal was a big Western Roan. The hunt lasted 12 days and we hunted afoot for all that time. We did use a vehicle to access the area though, it's a little hard to walk from the USA to Africa so we make a few allowances.

To make a long story short, I took a 30 inch plus Roan on day 7 of the 12 day hunt. I also took an Oribi, Nigerian Bohor Reedbuck, Western Hartebeest and some Baboons. All taken on foot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not all safaris are like what you saw on TV. But then I guess that day after dusty day stalking and tracking would make pretty boring footage on the tube and that the shows are highly edited to eliminate most of that.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some hunts are easy, some are hard or unsuccessful.

You take an easy hunt and they make up for the hard ones or the failures.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
I have not been to Africa. I have only hunted essentially alone (never been guided) in Canada, lower 48 and Alaska. I watch OLN on TV. I see a PH with client and assorted native staff, riding in a truck until game is spotted. Then the PH emerges with a shooting stick and the client emerges with his rifle. The PH sets up the stick, and urges the client to take aim and shoot "THAT ONE". The client shoots. The animal falls. The smiling PH slaps the client's back and shakes his hand vigorously and repeatedly. The fellows in the truck (peanut gallery) grin, wave and yell. OK-everyone is happy. But, why are all these congratulations in order? What the H__ has the client done?? Afterall....the PH drove and/or spotted the game. The PH set up the stick in the best spot for the hunter to shoot from. The PH instructed the hunter as to which animal gets clobbered. The only apparent responsibility of the hunter was to pull the trigger!! I honestly (sincerely, folks) don't see what all the excitement is for. And I certainly don't see any reason to congratulate the "hunter".....except, maybe, for his choice of guide to get him to a decent animal. **OK**, now (everybody) tell me how full of s___ I am.

If this is not what the client wanted, then it is primarily the fault of the client, not the professional hunter.

Before booking the hunt, the client should make clear what he wants. If he wants to track/stalk his game, he should make that clear, and then he can do that every day of the hunt. But if the fellow is unable/unwilling to walk, then I don't think he should be banned from hunting, and the PH may be able to accomodate him by hunting primarily for game seen from the vehicle.

It would definitely not be my choice to hunt as described, but to each his own.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Bloods blood,

Don't be a self hating anti-rifle guy bowhunter!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I agree with Will on this one. (Damn I can't believe I just admited that)

You don't want to go to Africa. All of the hunting is frightfully easy. We are all extremely rich and bored. We are pampered pantywaists! I actually have my PH shoot my game for me, that way I get to sit in the peanut gallery and cheer. Just stay home! Big Grin

SAA is too damn crowded as it is and it's getting harder and harder to get booked these days with the better outfits!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
Conifer

Don't let them fool you. Cruiser Safaris happen a lot, it's just that most won't admit to it. A year or so ago we had a fella brag about chasing a Cape Buffalo into the corner of the fence and shooting it from the back of the Safari Car.

Conifer, of all the people here, Mickey1 is a person who should know the so-called CRUISER SAFARI is not the norm, but the exception. It does happen as he says, but then so does spotliting of whitetail in your neck of the woods, along with the garbage so-called "hunters" that shoot from the pick-up from the farm to market road, in the USA.

I believe you know better, and it is my opinion, as well, that you were trying to start a fight here. It will most likely work, so you can cause a little unrest here, but, for me, I'll just consider the sourse, and just say, If you think what you see in any film is a true depection of the actual hunt, in Africa, or anyplace else, then you need to get out more!

If I'm wrong about your motives, then I appologise,and welcome you here, but if I'm right,then I bid you GOOD BYE!!!!!!! This is a serious forum, and we don't need any more trolls here! beer....OR..... mgun

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Conifer,

Dear,

You are telling what I hope is an exception.
The common acceptation of the word safari, is a journey, a physical exhertion. Hard hunted, well earned.

“the sportive hunting implicates a physical effort†is in the regulations of the ACP, and I think the IPHA and the PHASA.
It’s clearly against the law to shoot from the car or even not beyond 300m (yards) off the car.

It’s USUALLY against the law to shoot the first day, to shoot females, to take ambush (from blinds, treestands, ...leopard apart), to shoot in the vicinity of a waterhole, to shoot females, to shoot young males, to shoot at bait, to shoot game classified in the Washington convention annexe 1 and ...........disapproved to abandon a wounded game or to shoot more than 2 animals per day.

There is places where one must suffer to get a game like in the CAR
[URL=https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/831100632 :]back from the CAR[/URL]

take care of snakes, scorpions in the bedroom, centipedes in the restaurant, spiders in the shower, crocs in the rivers and swamps, tsetse flies at 7 and 17H, anopheles during the night, microflies and ants all day long, Sudanese poachers shooting Kalashnikov no end, scared and wounded mean elephants and buffs, and lions ruining your tracking approachs. A chance we abide the game regulations, if not it will be usual poaching.

I think you are just provoking for the fun.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I like Masterifleman's answer. I hope that's me. I hope I'll have the internals to turn down unsporting set-ups, and just enjoy the hike, if necessary.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frankly 500 grs got it right. Your hunt is your hunt. Set your standards and hunt according to those standards. Keep in mind that the game might not cooperate, but that's hunting. I've been in situations where I had an opportunity to take a shot from the truck, at some very nice animals, and I passed. On rare occasions I've taken a shot from the truck because that was the only possible shot that I could hope to get. I've also waded through wetland, up to my thighs in water, crawled on the ground, navigated through thornbush and walked and walked. A couple of times that I passed I should have shot, a couple of times that I shot I should have passed, but on the whole I'm comfortable with my African hunting. In the end you are the only one that you have to satisfy.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't beleive eveything you see on TV....

I hunted South Africa last year on a 30,000 acre concession. I can tell you that myself and the PH averaged 8-10 miles (had a pedometer on my belt) per day and this was "just" a plains game hunt. On the second to last day we tracked a nice kudu for about four hours. Got within 80 yds in some thick stuff and had the wind blow the wrong way for one second and he was gone.

Would it have been nice to connect. Heck yes. The thrill of a 4 hour stalk, walking so quietly that you could hear your heart beat, and listening to an animal feed that you can't is what it's about. Throw in all the other animals, the history, the southern cross, and sundowners, now that's what it's all about.

IF I just wanted to roll out and shoot something, I would stay at home and play video games.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote