THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is the closest you came to getting hurt by an animal
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the closest you came to getting hurt by an animal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in zambia 1985 a small insect which gave me falcipirum malaria and i thought i was going to die.cameroon slipped after shower and broke my hand and leg hunted 7 more days. africa is dangerous

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry to bring an old thread to the front, but this just happened this past weekend. Here goes......

I was elk hunting on our property in central Montana, a beautiful November elk hunting day. Temperature 20 degrees, beautiful blue sky, 6 inches of snow and not a breath of wind. I still hunted through timber to a familiar spot where elk like to travel from their feeding grounds to the bedding area above. I was halfway up the ridge, sat down on a log with some blow down dead fall in front of me and waited. It was so peaceful and quiet you could have heard a pin drop in the snow. In fact other than the occasional crow cawing, the only sound I could hear was the soft "phumpf" of snow sliding off of a pine bough into the snow below.

After about 30 minutes of sitting, I heard one of these very soft "phumpfs" directly behind me. Then another, followed by a third. These sounded just slightly different. Nothing definable or discreet, just some how different. Occasionally in the past, I have had elk slip in above me on the ridge, and my first thought was that those dirty buggers had done it to me again. I slowly turned my head to the left to look behind me and came face to face with a mountain lion at just under three paces. As cats do, he was crouched down, hind feet and fore feet gathered under him, ears down, ready to pounce.

I honestly can say I don"t remember standing up, flicking the safety off or mounting my gun. I hunt with a Model 70 .338 topped with a Swarovski 2.5X10 scope. I ALWAYS leave my scope on 2.5 power while hunting. If I need additional magnification, I figure I'll have time to dial it up. At any rate, I only remember the last few degrees of swinging the rifle, then when I saw the nose I pulled the trigger. Due, I think, to the height of the scope above the barrel, and due to my standing up and him being crouched down and looking up, the bullet entered just below the nose, missed the brain and spinal cord, and entered the chest, effectively I might add. After some snarling and a bit of flopping it was all over.

Had I not turned when he did, I suspect I may have been breakfast. Didn't get an elk that trip, and didn't care. I have hunted leopard, African lion, buffalo, and plenty of other things, but this ranks right up there on my trophy list!!!

This is the scene: I was sitting on the log where my rifle is leaning, facing downhill to the left of the picture, my back facing uphill to the right of the picture. The lion lies where he was crouched.

Second picture is of the offending cat.

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
There was this horny Jack Russell Mike Finn had in camp on the Lemco... never and I mean never try and take a blanket/love toy from a sex-crazed terrier!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale, the kitty just wanted to play with you and you gone and killed it. Big Grin

The most remarkable thing is it didn't pounce when you stood up.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was bitten by a rabid dog as a child and there's nnnnnnnothing wwwwwwwrong wwwwwwwith mmmmmmme yyyyyyyet! MMP

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My Brittany jumped up on the bed and landed on my crotch one time ...

Eeker

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote