New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 450/400 for buffalo...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has been hashed out here before, but...

I just picked up one these little dandy rifles. Having a double in 450/400, I thought this would be a fun addition.

It shoots quite well with the open sights at 50 yds. I can't wait to get a scope on it as well. At just under 8 lbs, I can carry this thing all day.

Has anyone else used a No. 1 for buffalo?

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Farqhuarsen styled rifles have been used plenty for buffalo. Hunting with a PH, I wouldn't feel to worried about hunting buffalo. Practice rapid reloading and make sure your ejectors are doing the right thing and you should be OK.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just bought one from a guy in Tx., last Fri. It should be here Sat. or Mon. That's exactly what I'm gonna use, if I get to go now[lost my job last tues., so priorities have shifted Confused].

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
My little 500NE at 7lbs 9oz has travelled a fair distance with me, has accounted for several buff and a couple of elephant.
Works like a charm.
Enjoy your #1.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is nothing new, because all the old ele hunters (actually Ivory hunter, and poachers)use this method so they only had to carry one type of ammo.

I have done this several times, having a Ruger No1 rebarreled or re-chambered for a cartridge I had in a double rifle. I had a Ruger no1 re-barreled for 450/400NE 3" a few yrs ago to go along with my A&N double rifle of the same chambering. I have also done this to match three other chamberings as well over the years. I let one of the trackers carry the scoped Ruger unloaded, and I carry my double loaded. If a shot come my way where I need a scoped rifle I simply break the double dumping the rounds in my hand, and trade rifles, for the shot.

WARNING: If you hand load, as I suspect you do, or will, always load your ammo that regulate in your double rifle, and adjust your sights, and scope on the Ruger for that load. Never load hot loads for your Ruger, because you don't want to make a mistake of getting one of the hot Ruger loads in your double rifle.

..........Enjoy thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
WARNING: If you hand load, as I suspect you do, or will, always load your ammo that regulate in your double rifle, and adjust your sights, and scope on the Ruger for that load. Never load hot loads for your Ruger, because you don't want to make a mistake of getting one of the hot Ruger loads in your double rifle.

..........Enjoy thumb

Point well taken. I am using Butch Searcy's original regulation load for my double, so it's plenty hot for the No. 1. I am actually quite excited about this little set-up. The No.1 will prevent me from carrying 2 sets of ammo as well, since my back-up rifle was my .375.

Thanks for the input...

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I used a no 1 .405 with iron sights in '04 to kill our buff in Zim. wouldnt hesitate to do it again. I've got to have one in 450/400, like you I have a Searcy in that caliber.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Just remember the So. African restriction on 2 rifles of same caliber. Made that mistake several years ago on a 375 sxs and 375 bolt and almost didn't get thru Johannesburg. They finally let me go as I was only staying in Johannesburg overnite and agreed to go straight thru on return as I had intended anyway. They gave me a 24hr permit.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote