THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Have you guys seen this mammoth tusk

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you guys seen this mammoth tusk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Oh my. Some boy just struck it rich out in the tundra!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought a really large mammoth tusk (or pair) would look exceptional in a trophy room.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine sold a pair of mammoths each over 10 feet in the over 40K range.

I suspect he could get some more if the demand and money is there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this pic a fake??

It looks too clean, undamaged, etc to be 40,000 years old. It has an almost metallic hue to it.

Also, he doesn't seem to be struggling too much to hold which is probably close to 200lbs??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Find ivory is from Russia.

I saw the picture when it came out.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Mammoth carving at the Grand Lisboa hotel in Macau. Everything else art wise was work over $10 mil.

There is real value for this asset.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Importation of mammoth ivory into the US banned. I was told it was customs people might not tell the difference from modern elephants.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Importation of mammoth ivory into the US banned. I was told it was customs people might not tell the difference from modern elephants.

Dave

I'm fairly sure that is not correct. Can you source the ban regulation or law?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I passed on a chance to buy a mammoth tusk for $600 when I lived in Alaska. Dumb. Passed on a Hal Hartley .338 Win Mag for $3000.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God for a time travel machine and a chance to hunt Mammoth.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of Quint, "At home we got a taxidermy man, he gonna have a heart attack, when he sees what I brung 'im! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, was wondering where I left that rotflmo

Imagine how big the Mammoth would be to carry that without gragging it on the ground.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I hope it is real. Yes, I would like to have seen him too.

I had a custom knife made with the scales being mammoth ivory.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my brother brought some back from Siberia, he was doing consulting work at a mine there.

He was told by customs that it was legal. That was about 15 years ago though.

quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Dave

I'm fairly sure that is not correct. Can you source the ban regulation or law?

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My information came from a friend. He has been importing mammoth ivory for years. He told me it's no longer available due to being banned.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy it online from knife material suppliers in the US.

Why the hell would it be banned.....the species is extinct!

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Blair, you gotta understand, our own USFWA is run by Nitwits.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
From the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's current website: "What other types of ivory are used, and how will they be affected by these actions?
These actions will not affect ivory derived from other species such as walrus, warthog, hippopotamus, mammoth and mastodon. Asian elephant ivory is already regulated under the ESA and CITES. Ivory derived from toothed whales is already regulated by the ESA, CITES and the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Strict application of the definition of antique may limit some Asian elephant and whale ivory trade. See the section about antiques for more information."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched a documentary some time ago about trying to clone these mammoths. What an incredible beast!

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I believe that there are two looney tune states that have banned mammoth ivory by state law-New York and New Jersey. I'm surprised that California hasn't jumped on that bandwagon of insanity. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
There may be two tusks about this size and a skull for sale that I know of. If you are interested PM me and I will pass on your details to the owner. They ain't cheap.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
My information came from a friend. He has been importing mammoth ivory for years. He told me it's no longer available due to being banned.

Dave

Muck Fe.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have a very wealthy mate who collects sets of A grade (complete, no fill) blue mammoth ivory and last time I spoke to him he was negotiating to purchase the third and last pair.

Personally I would prefer a new bright red Ferrari. Does not have to be bright red though.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I have a very wealthy mate who collects sets of A grade (complete, no fill) blue mammoth ivory and last time I spoke to him he was negotiating to purchase the third and last pair.

Personally I would prefer a new bright red Ferrari. Does not have to be bright red though.

Like this one Andrew?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:

the world record Mammoth tusk,a singel tusk was sold in moscow to a business man from Kazakhstan,it was a single tusk of 137.6 kilos,long thick and prehistoric,today its not possible to find african elephant tusks of 110 pounds-50 kilos.

MR.MASKAYEV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oooh, knife handles. Well, maybe not now.

Folks the laws on this is a mess. Last year Obama took his pin and made an executive action banning ivory. All of it. Then it got fought against, then NJ did pass a law banning it. Then they busted an old lady selling jewelry that had a bit of mammoth, fined her and took the jewelry. Now there are several states going on enact a ban on it if we cannot get it stopped.
I can look it up and tell you right where it is currently as it is still all messed up as to what and who. Right now you can send to some states and some you cannot. Overseas, No.
Let me know if you want me to post the current status.
I have been working with knife rights and the ILA trying to get the fossil ivories exempted but so far it has not been stopped.
Under the current law you can possess your piano with ivory keys but you cannot sell it.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Like this one Andrew?

What can I say and that is extremely kind of you.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So you want to race your Ferrari to and from Lusaka in 180 km/h while navigating around the potholes...? animal

Posts: 3973 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote