New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Camps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why are hunting camps not featured more in the hunting reports ?
I am a sucker for nice camps and would like to see more.
I understand it’s not so important for some people but for me a nice African camp is always a big bonus.
It would be nice to see more photos of camps, accommodation, campfire etc.
Perhaps a hunting camp photo thread ? – Just a thought.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I always include pictures and videos of our hunting camps.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Prospective safari hunters often tell me they don't care much about the camp or the food. BUT if you've had a long dusty and hot day tracking x,y or z with nothing to show for it a beautiful camp in a scenic area with good food and drink does matter everytime.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Here is a couple of my camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Way cool, Andrew!

I personally like a nice camp and good food. Most importantly a comfortable bed.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Here is a couple of my camp.

Outstanding images. I don‘t mind staying in a basic bush camp a couple of days, eating venison, pap and sheeba. However I also enjoy beautiful camps with fine wine and dine.

When I did my ph exams I had to 'entertain' officials from nature conservation. "We are clients from the US, now spoil us." That‘s what I did. Served Swiss fondue and later Mousse au Chocolat plus wines from the Cape. They were stunned "We have never been treated better before."

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Way cool, Andrew!

I personally like a nice camp and good food. Most importantly a comfortable bed.

I do that and much more in a small personal environment. Rustic but completely comfortable and we ensure that everything you have requested is in camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds perfect!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread would have garnered a little more interest, camp life on safari is great part of the hunt.

I like a comfortable fly camp. We set one up on the Royal Kafue about 5 or so miles from the camp in Andrew's picture. It was about as perfect as a camp could be, other than it gets cold there in July/August.

We did have good wine and ate dinner like gentlemen.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice camps are wonderful. However, it has been most of my experiences that when I hunt first light to last, I am in camp to eat, shower, and sleep. If I was spending the day(s) there, it would be a different story.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, a nice camp and scenery is defiantly a deal breaker. Having hunted all my life, I now like to also "smell the roses" and make sure I have spare time for this. A hunt these days is a holiday for me and everything around is as important as the hunt itself.
So for me an nice hunting camp is of utmost importance.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AB109:
For me, a nice camp and scenery is defiantly a deal breaker. Having hunted all my life, I now like to also "smell the roses" and make sure I have spare time for this. A hunt these days is a holiday for me and everything around is as important as the hunt itself.

I agree and my style is to provide comfortable accommodation with all the basic necessities. I have invested in a good chef and bar. There is much to see from my camp and it is very scenic. It is nice to get out of the midday sun and lounge under the cool shade of big trees.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Some camps like this one in Kasonso are substantial.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a camp without wifi and cell phone signal.The trackers too now have cell phones.Everyone besides the hunter wants to be back in camp instead of in the field.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One doesn't usually hunt at night George.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since my sweetheart wife goes with me I am forced to endure really nice camps. Poor poor pitiful me. Wink

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Since my sweetheart wife goes with me I am forced to endure really nice camps. Poor poor pitiful me. Wink

Gotta take the rough with the smooth.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in about 1994 Roger Whittal told me that most of his hunting clients did not want a fancy camp. We were on an elephant/lioness hunt in the Matetsi and the rustic camp was excellent with great food etc.

When the hunt was over we moved over to a photo camp for an overnight stay as new hunters were coming in. It was fancy as hell with cute little treats to munch on.

Both my wife and I hated it.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like nice camps, but I can tolerate a lot as long as I have hot showers and decent food.

Our first hunt in Africa was in Namibia in late June. We stayed in nice chalets. We had several days with temps at or just below freezing. We also had no hot water for showers. Those showers were complete misery.

During the winter, I'd take a basic tented camp with hot water over a nice chalet with no hot water.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine crystal, white linen and waiters with fezzes for me!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also like a nice camp that is well stocked with booze and good food ,hot showers. I feel that way about N A. camps too and I will pay the premium.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I had an opportunity to make a brief visit to Andrew’s camp last October and can attest that he does indeed have a nice, comfortable camp. Great place!

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree and my style is to provide comfortable accommodation with all the basic necessities. I have invested in a good chef and bar. There is much to see from my camp and it is very scenic. It is nice to get out of the midday sun and lounge under the cool shade of big trees.

Andrew's camp and "chef" (not cook) are the best!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have been in 5 star camps in South Africa and New Zealand that had all of the amenities to the traditional East African tents in Mozambique like the ones in Andrew's pictures, to pup tent back pack camps in the high mountain Canadian wilderness to sleeping on the bare ground (rocks) with just a piece of plastic sheet over us like I did on my second night high in the Caucasus Mountains in Azerbaijan.

I enjoyed them all!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I've hunted four times with Sebra Hunting Safaris in Namibia. Here's their main ranch house:

Here's the "Guest Chalet" where hunters stay:

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Way cool, Andrew!

I do that and much more in a small personal environment. Rustic but completely comfortable and we ensure that everything you have requested is in camp.

Spot on! Your camp is perfect. Wild, yet extremely comfortable.

Let's see.... Hippos, crocs, ele's, puku, roan, bushbuck, impala, puff adder, lions, sitatunga, all right from camp. What did I miss?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I am somewhat indifferent, as I’ve stayed in all sorts of camps in many places. I will admit where I stay in Argentina has spoiled me, even when I’m there working.

In Africa, one camp was comfortable and the cook was the outitters girlfriend. It was good, as she prepared the game meat rather well and would join us for meals. The next camp was a “mixed use/contract” camp as I could tell. It was nicer and also staffed by employees. Once again game food was good.

In Argentina, I prefer the native beef when hunting birds, although we eat our fair share of the birds at the asado (barbecue) in the field. For the big game hunts, we have enjoyed the meat from the game mixed with other domestic meats.

I must say that some of the worst accommodations I’ve had have been in N.A., with being told to reserve a hotel and there’s a Pizza Hut (or whatever) down the street. I didn’t really care.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best run camp I am been to in Africa is Mokore. The Duckworth’s run great camps and I was told that by other Zim outfitters.

Everything was spot on. It is not over the top luxury like Sango. But it is the perfect blend of everything working and great food (don’t ever eat the food cooked especially for the Duckworths and normally served at lunch). Also their camp infrastructure - dining room, cabins, lawncare, facilities - is top notch.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One must differentiate between camp and lodge. We are talking camp here.

On my last hunt with HHK in Sengwa Research, we stayed in the old ranger's house. Did not like that much. Did not seem like a hunting camp at all, more like a suburban house. The camps in neighboring Chirisa were much better even though the showers dribbled, the pool was not working, and the water gave you mouth sores.

A camp must have an outdoor fire pit with comfortable chairs, an open dining area where you can see what you are eating, and individual tents/huts/chalets/rondavels whatever you want to call them. The sleeping quarters must be cool during the heat of the day so one can take a nap. Failing that a hammock must be provided in a shady spot.

I am not a big drinker but camps must have a working refrigerator. A cold beer and a glass of cold white wine once in a while raise the spirits after a long fruitless day. Ditto some cold water or sodas on the truck.

If there are mosquitoes, a bed net is essential.

It should have a view preferably involving some water. A dipping pool is super nice in the late season when it gets hot. And yes, hot water is a big plus. I am surprised that no camp I have ever stayed in uses solar hot water heaters.

Ambience is important.

I think the nicest chalets I have stayed in were on Mica Point at Lake Kariba. I forget the name of the place. Overlooked the lake. Not a hunting camp, but had the right ambience.

The worst camp I have stayed in was Ben Kotze's PAC camp near his home town of Karoi. Military tents, dusty, don't recall the ablution facilities. Second worst was Ben Kotze's camp at Chirisa. Modern camp tent next to ranger's house. All sorts of people/vehicles coming and going. Camp cook stole $8K in cash.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife always goes with me.... so, the camp and food are important.

Good, clean, bug free camp = happy wife.

Good, clean, food = happy wife

Friendly, clean camp staff = happy wife

The worst camps I have experienced are in Alaska. These are more "rustic" but we likely are not going back to tents.... I am done being a Boy Scout.

Most elegant camp was Pete Fisher's in Zambia at Nchila Safari. Most recent good/great camps were in Uganda with Uganda Wildlife Safaris.

Headed to Sango next year to be truly spoiled.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Especially when hunting with friends, sitting around the fire with a cocktail (OK, Fanta) reliving the day and busting each other's stones is an important part of the hunt experience.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a good fly camp with a working shower. Gives you the feel of what the old days must have been like.

The other thing I like is lunch in the field. Going back to camp for lunch is generally depressing to me unless at the tail end of the hunt when the skinning shed is full.

One more thing: I don't think the food in Africa is very good; meat is too well done. Jan DuPlessis is an exception: his wife is an outstanding chef. But I don't go hunting to eat, so this is not a huge big deal for me. More important than food is coffee made in a French press instead of that disgusting instant crap.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sango has been my favorite and their tent camp was great, too.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

THIS!!!

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me a clean room, good food nothing fancy, hot water and I’m happy

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must say that some of the worst accommodations I’ve had have been in N.A., with being told to reserve a hotel and there’s a Pizza Hut (or whatever) down the street. I didn’t really care.

Yep!

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is such a thing as too fancy. Don't want to be someplace where I feel I should be wearing a smoking jacket and speaking with a pukka accent.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Kambako's Lugenda camp has always been more luxurious than I need so a night or two sleeping out under the stars brings me back to reality

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote