New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capstick poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact that many of Capsticks stories were crafted when he was the barman for Safaris South or that he was a drunk when he worked for Geoff Broom take away from his ability to tell a story. Yes he got me there the first time and I still enjoy rereading his books. Ive hunted with a PH who knew him and we would go round and round as to his credibility.

One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Hey, all you need to know is that the guy wore a beret while hunting. Pisshole or no.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
It is in the "Last horizons" that the story of turning the 270 with the rear end in front is written, and that is a fine story.

Capstick book made me realize that there isn`t only africa that has big game hunting also, but Argentina also has much fine hunting that people should explore more.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clifton Clowers:
Hey, all you need to know is that the guy wore a
beret while hunting. Pisshole or no.

Hey Mate,
I am pretty bloody sure that you would not know shit from clay!!!

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Liar, Alcoholic, Plageriser(sp?).

Who cares! His stories compelled me to go to Africa. I am forever indebted to him. I hope he's looking down from above and enjoying the happiness he's given to so many.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Liar, Alcoholic, Plageriser(sp?).

Who cares!

Damn Good Response. Even though I have never been to Africa and probably never will, Capstick's writings definitely made me want to take the plunge if I ever get the chance.

To many folks want to criticize Capstick, because he was popular among the masses, while some want to run around acting like little demi-gods. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I've read a few books and liked them, but I don't think I liked them as much as the dvd collection of his.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
You guys are showing your ages.

Old farts are pre-Capstick and vote "no."

The kids know no better and vote "yes."

Smiler

Hi Will.....To begin, my first hunt in Africa was in Mozambique in 1962.....I had just been fired from my job but got an 11 grand contract payout.....As a batchelor with no obligations I contacted Roman Hupolowski in Chicago and booked this hunt (Tony Fajardo - Safaris - Kenya Style).....This hunt hooked me forwever and since then have been back to Africa at least 20 times....Sudan (1979 & 1980), Namibia, Zimbabwe (17 times) etc. etc.

After this preamble, I would like to get back to the subject (PHC), I met him back in 1975 where he was doing a "learners license" in Matetsi, working for Geof Broom.....Most of his high adventures in "Long Grass" and "Silent Places" were gleaned from stories told to him by various PH's, the big difference being that he wrote in the "first person"....Very few of his dangerous experiences actually happened to him....And if he was "charged", "stomped on", "nearly snake bit", "attacked by poachers" I would have changed my profession and gone back to Wall Street.

As you have gathered by now, I voted "NO" in this poll, because most of his "adventures" were BS, but he did have a humorous turn of phrase, but not believable to anyone with African hunting experience.

Posts: 3 | Location: nuernberg, germany | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being an avid "africana" reader, I've often read stories of PH's ect and gone "Aha!" thats where Capsticks story came from about this or that. Are all his stories true, so to speak, from someone? Or are some pure invention? I'm thinking of one in perticular of him killing a maneating lion with a spear while chewing on his gunbearer. ( the lion was chewing, not PHC) Total BS or someones MOL real happenings?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who made me want to go to Africa? Two words... Marlin Perkins.

Then Robert Ruark.

Capstick came later and to a far lesser degree.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted yes. My first hunt was in Zambia in the Luangwa Vally with John "Buffalo" Knowles. At that time John punched hole after hole in his "accounts". I am equally sure that Hemingway's account's were partial BS. Unless you enjoy the probably very factual Postthumus work where his love affair with a native girl is all but spelled out. Capstick was a story teller. That is all. To read this thread is rather deflating as a fan. God please grant me the ability to write close to the tales of Capstick. I owe him a lot.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are showing your ages.

Old farts are pre-Capstick and vote "no."

The kids know no better and vote "yes."

So at 57 I am a kid??/

What a unique concept.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I voted yes.

Mac, I liked your story. That sounds like Ross Seyfried's background too.

Yukon, how is the background similar? I'm not aware of Ross's background outside his PH days in Africa, and his love of older double rifles! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if I would enjoy sitting around a mopane wood fire listening to stories told by Capstick but I did and still do enjoy reading his books. Did his books make an impact on me going to Africa, yes, so did Hemmingway, Ruark, Boddington and every other person that has written about Africa. Do I take everything I read as factual, absolutely not, not even the best national newspaper articles do I accept as 100% facutal. I still enjoy Capsticks writing style and his books. Anyone looking at their first trip to Africa should read everything they can get their hands on before going. They will help you to understand why Africa is different and what has changed in the past and what is still the same,,,, but once you go there,,,,,,then you will better understand the primal pull that makes us return to Africa. Capstick did his best to put it into words. Words aren't enough. Next trip, Namibia, august 08

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
...Capstick was a story teller. That is all....

That is more than enough!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote