Find
Notify
Tools

Capstick poll
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Since the post about Capstick have some good and bad comments lets just have a poll.

Question:
Do you feel that you owe gratitute towards Capstick to bring you closer to Africa ? Yes or No ?

Choices:
Yes
No

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I voted no, because I didn't discover his books until I got to know him in 1984 -- a year after my first African hunt.

J.A. Hunter and Jack O'Connor probably did more to build my desire to hunt in Africa than anyone else, but C.J. McElroy made it possible by hiring me to direct SCI's publications. That took me to the SCI conventions, where I met outfitters and discovered that my dreams were possible.

I think I was the first writer to compare Capstick's African material to Ruark's and Hemingway's. He had some warts, but damn he surely could write!

Bill

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If nothing else..............Capstick was an excellent writer!!

Wink

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I voted "no" because I had already been living in Africa for many years before I knew of his books, so I could hardly say he got me there. This said, I have all of his books and find him one of the most enjoyable authors to read when it comes to hunting.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I voted no as well. I was reading Ruark, Hemmingway, O'Conner and others long before PHC. He was a wonderful writer and I truly enjoyed his works, but IMO he wrote nothing that ever compared to Ruark's Use Enough Gun.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
I voted yes. I had read Poppa and that probably sparked it, but when my brother handed over a copy of Death in the Long Grass I was a completely sucked in. Then after meeting a few well respected PH's it wasn't even up to me anymore, fate had taken over. But PHC, he gets the nod.
"If you would rather be cold, wet and excited as opposed to warm, dry and bored, then this may just be for you..." - or something to that effect...

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I voted yes, his story telling, along with others like Ruark and Burger, absolutely inspired my desire to go to Africa.

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I voted yes ,he was a brave hunter and excellent writer.He was the first to call the dogos dogs- white angels- and loved to hunt wild boars with them.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6381 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of Capstick until I went to Africa, then his name was everywhere. I got my info via Boddington and hunters that have been there.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I voted 'yes' I have a bunch of his books and I love them. He was a fantastic writer and he brings me as close to Africa as I'll ever get. Capstick inspires me to dream as I can't afford to do the real thing.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not read Capstick until after I had gone to Africa. The PH on our first safari had some Capstick tales told to him by Joeff Broom who employed Capstick for a short time. I did subsequently read some Capstick but knowing that the stories were often not the truth made my interest not so keen. He did spin a good yarn and had a real influence on the popularity of modern safari hunting. A lot of safari operators are still thanking Capstick for that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I was in high school when PHC was writing for American Hunter or one of the other mags that my dad subscribed to and hadn't ever thought of hunting anything bigger than a mule deer. His articles were entertaining and his books were even more so. He sparked my interest in Africa and I am forever grateful.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Though I like PHC's books, and those of Ruark, Brian Marsh and Taylor, none of them started my interest in Africa, or African hunting! Though all those writers are responsible for quieting the death knell of the Safari business in Africa, I lay the guilt of only one man for my absolute addiction to double rifles, and African hunting. As far as I know the man never wrote a book about anything, and I doubt any who has hunted Africa, who is still alive would know him from Adam.

This man was a local hardware store owner, in a little ranch town where we traded, back in the early 40s! Kelly's hardware store had mounted African game heads high on the walls,he had hunted back in the 20s and 30s, and those strange looking animals fascinated me, being six yrs old. Mr. Kelly, recognized the hunter in me quickly, and would tell me the stories about the animals I had thousands of questions about.

One day when I walked into his store, he said, "COME BACK HERE BOY!" He lifted a scratched, and gouged Oak & Leather case from under the counter, and opened it! Inside was an H&H S/S double rifle with all the do-dads that came in those cases. He put the rifle together
and handed it to me, cautioning me not to drop it. Damn that rifle was heavy, for a six yr old who only weighed about sixty pounds. He then handed me one of the cartridges for this cannon, and I picked a 22 lr out of my pocket, and compared the two. The cartridge was a 500/465NE, and at that moment I was hooked. Every jackrabbit I took after that with my Uncle's 410 ga double barrel shotgun was a Cape buffalo, and the little shotgun was an H&H double rifle, in my imagination!

......SO! Mr. Kelly, you sent me home that day with a taste for the two most expensive pursuits a poor Texas ranch kid could aim at, collecting double rifles, and hunting in Africa. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I voted yes, absolutely yes! While I read all the books pripr to PHC's his books were the ones that really lit the fire. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted yes.

Mac, I liked your story. That sounds like Ross Seyfried's background too.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up reading Hemingway and Ruark and worked in Africa off and on for many years before I ever hunted there. I voted yes simply because Capstick was a great yarn-spinner and accentuated my already extant fascination with Africa.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I read Capstick and Ruark in primary school and that really captured my imagination and early daydreams.

Later I feel I got a better picture of contemporary African hunting (the truth) from Boddington.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic-Johnny Weissmuller and cheeta(cheeta was still alive at age 75 as of April 07!!) did it for me on those Saturday morning Tarzan films (I was too young to appreciate Jane but I do now! shocker). That Cheeta could throw the hell out of some coconuts!! animal

Back on topic-Willard Price was the first writer of Africana for me as a 5th grader. PHC came later in life and I certainly enjoy his work as well!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Mississippian:
"Slightly off topic-Johnny Weissmuller and cheeta(still alive at age 75 as of April 07!!) did it for me on those Saturday morning Tarzan films (I was too young to appreciate Jane but I do now! shocker). That Cheeta could throw the hell out of some coconuts!!" animal

Johnny Weissmuller (June 2, 1904 – January 20, 1984)

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Nickudu, I was referring to cheeta

http://cheetathechimp.org/

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Even though I am a South African i voted yes as I feel that his writing had universal appeal

Allan

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I voted yes. I have read nearly all of PHC's books, as well as Hemingway, Ruark, Roosevelt, etc. All are good, and take me on safari in Africa, but none put me on the edge of my seat like Capstick. He may not be the most literary, but he is the most exciting.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read several popular books on Africa but it was Capsticks Death in the Long Grass that sent me over the edge. I began saving, selling, planning, and a year and a half later was in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I voted No since the first time I have ever heard of PHC was here on AR - no matter what - anything put down about Africa in written word by him or anybody (even here on AR beer ) just adds to some wealth and depth of immence "pitch and yaw" Africa has to offer. RIP

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You guys are showing your ages.

Old farts are pre-Capstick and vote "no."

The kids know no better and vote "yes."

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hemingway's "the Green Hills of Africa were the spark, Theodore Roosevelt's "African Game Trails" were the fuel, and Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" fanned the flames into reality.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3831 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Capstick might've been a good writer of hunting fiction, I don't know having never read "Death In the Long Grass". But I do know that as a military historian he was a dullard and couldn't write worth a pisshole in snowbank. He completely screwed up -- and I mean it's unreadable -- a biography of one of the major lights of Africa and African military history, Richard Meinerzhagen. The "book" is titled "Warrior" and it's awful. As far as Africa itself goes, I dunno about that either, seeing Robert Ruark as a primary incentive.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm sure he was a writer because so many on here say so but I have never read anything he wrote or basically anything about him other than what is published on this forum, so I don't feel I owe anything to him.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Warrior" was completed by Fiona Capstick after Peter Capstick died. "Pisshole in a snowbank" is a harsh description for such a grand lady's efforts to complete her dead husband's contract.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
"Warrior" was completed by Fiona Capstick after Peter Capstick died. "Pisshole in a snowbank" is a harsh description for such a grand lady's efforts to complete her dead husband's contract.

Bill Quimby

I second that. To say she is a great and classy lady is a terrible understatement. Besides, I thought Warrior was decent...JMHO
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I agree with billrquimby. "Warrior" was the last book written before he died, and obviously was not his best work. It was not completed by himself, and it clearly did not receive the same attention to editing that his earlier books received.

It is a poor example to judge his overall life's work on.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Capstick's first two books. he was a very descriptive entertaining writer. I must admit that he was part of what sparked my interest in Africa.

However he is what he is. A great fiction writer.

It really bothers me when I see people quote Capstick in regards to real life hunting advice.

That is much like quoting Spielberg in regards to real life space travel. Wink

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I think the poll speaks for itself.
Yes his stuff had some fiction but I suppose he was smart enough to write it in such a way that no-one could put a finger on him that it was their story. Changing the story from the original and put in some extra and it could be someone elses story. No harm was done to anyone.

But what ever he did he did bring hunting back to life in Africa and no-one can take that away from him.

RIP, PHC and may that imagination run true where ever you are. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I voted yes. When I was a freshman in high school. My science teacher he knew some of the family already, gave me his copy of Death in The Long Grass. I was instantly hooked on Africa. Although till this day (will be 29 next month) still haven't been to Africa I plan to change that in the next couple years.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big yes from me. Capstick, Corbett and Boddington really fanned a fire under my butt. Played a significant role in a lot more than just getting to Africa for me.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"...But what ever he did he did bring hunting back to life in Africa and no-one can take that away from him."

I knew Capstick well enough to know that he would not take full credit for bringing "hunting back to life in Africa."

To be sure, hiis African adventure hunting books helped create a desire for thousands of readers to hunt in Africa, but as this poll shows, other authors were doing that before him.

Without SCI's conventions (and later also those of the Houston and Dallas safari clubs) readers of Africana hunting literature could not have found their way to that continent in the numbers that now are going there.

C.J. McElroy was a controversial figure (as was Capstick, obviously), but he also deserves credit for his role in creating a marketplace for outfitters and professional hunters to sell their wares.

Bill Quimby

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks for calling me a kid... a definite ego booster! I agree with Jorge and can emphatically say "yes"! Fiction or fact, Capstick wrote very entertaining books and I have several signed editions I bought from him in Houston years ago that are treasured editions in my library!

I can still remember reading the line "The man who was about to die..." Good stuff, that.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Capstick was the last of the great storytellers. To many hunting pieces today only detail the actual hunt. They don’t detail the story surrounding the hunt. I, for one, believe the story’s in the whole journey—not just in the kill. Unfortunately, most hunting writing today leans that way. As a writer I try to have fun with my work but too often editors want you to “get to the kill.â€

I also think that TV, DVD, movies, video games, and the internet have led us all to have a short attention span. That just leads to,….what was I writing about? Oh yeah. There seems to be fewer and fewer real readers out there. I’d be interested to see how Boddington’s (for example) DVD sales are compared to his book sales. I bet the DVDs sell much better.

As for me though, I’ll take a cigar and a good book any day over a DVD.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Clower had said in casual conversation that Hillary Clinton was a "pisshole in the snow", I would have agreed. To put those words in writing about Capstick tells me "class" is not behind his name in the dictionary. Mr. Clower, you may be a military historian and I agree "Warrior" was not his best piece but to state it the way you did was not called for! PHC, rest in peace, my friend!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Years back, I once watched as the Mrs. lifted and briefly examined a book from my end table. "Why are you smiling so", I asked.
"Oh, just confirming my suspicions that you were into that Capstick guy again ... it's so seldom I hear you laugh aloud, while reading".

I admired him and enjoyed all his writings.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote