Notify
Tools

Movies that I can't stop watching
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I strongly redommend The Macomber Affair (along with the OP's above two, of course).
Cal

I'm not familiar with The Macomber Affair. Is it based on Hemingway's short story the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I strongly redommend The Macomber Affair (along with the OP's above two, of course).
Cal

I'm not familiar with The Macomber Affair. Is it based on Hemingway's short story the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber?

It is and follows the short story quite well.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevastopol:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Dead Pool

"What a great day to be in the water!"

"Time to make the chimichangas."

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of ShootScott
posted Hide Post
Good Fellas

Life long NRA member, full time construction worker, and part time blogger.
Blogger

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Love Stewart's King Solomon's. The other are down right unwatchable. Looking at you Richard Chamberlain and Patrick Swayze!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
Debbie Does Africa, II

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Out of Africa: I wanted to be Finch-Hatton; still do.

I'm more of a Baron Bror von Blixen kinda guy...but I hear ya!

You might have asked Dennis.

I did..She said yes

Posts: 11979 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The movie "Last Safari" was based on the book "Gilligans Last Elephant". The book was a hell of a lot better than the movie, I found the book used, on Amazon. I read it when I was a teenager and it reinforced my desire to hunt Africa. In the ninth grade, my geography teacher encouraged us to watch "The African Queen" and made me a lifelong Bogey fan... Thanks Mr. Wise! After seeing the original King Solomons Mines with Grainger and Kerr, I read Haggards book and his later one "She" and it cemented the certainty that I would one day, hunt Africa. An interesting sidenote is that Haggard wrote KSM on a bet and had never been to Africa, pretty good job!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Lee440:
I recommend the first KSM with Cedric Hardwick and Paul Robeson (1930s). Granger's was #2. (There was a third but I forget the actors).
The Last Safari's acting was horrible but the story was excellent.
My number 1 is still The Macomber Affair.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Cal, I was not aware of a film prior to Grainger, I will have to find it! The last version had Patrick Swayze in it and really sucked.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Out of Africa...

quote:
"I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills"

Something about British east Africa...it might be a little too "love story" for some but it has some really great safari scenes in it.

HEAR HEAR

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
You guys are missing what is probably the most iconic African movie besides Dead Pool - "The Gods Must Be Crazy". Tell me that you cannot watch it just once...

+1!

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
SAFARI - 1956

A Victor mature and Janet Leigh jem that deserves to be mentioned more:

Yes it actually is available for sale:

https://www.amazon.com/Safari-...keywords=safari+1956

"The envious are not satisfied with equality; they secretly yearn for superiority and revenge."

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have seen Hatari several thousand times. I don't know how many times I have watched it.
We lived pretty remote and didn't have cable TV, my uncle and aunt did and they gave us a VHS tape of it, they taped off of Showtime in the 1980s. I watched it almost everyday of the summer growing up. As an adult, I don't know how many times I have watched it but it is a lot.

I have also watched the God's Must be Crazy several hundred times. My children enjoy 2 more than 1, so we watch it a lot. We actually own several of Jamie Uys other movies and have watched them quite a bit too. I do not own God's Must be Crazy 3 and 4, they were Africa release only and are really obscure. They feature the same Kalahari Bushman, but have nothing to do with Africa. I believe one of them was a vampire movie.

Out of Africa is beautifully shot. I love it for that.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Read 'The man eaters of Tsavo'

Exactly.

Nowhere near what they had to put in the GHOST AND THE DARKNESS, which I thought was rather silly.

The NAKED PREY is great.

KING SOLOMON'S MINES has more than one version.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls009710898?ref_=tt_rls_1

Link to 394 movies about Africa.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Macomber Affair, there is an EXCELLENT article in Sporting Classics (one of the BEST outdoor magazines in existence in my opinion) this issue about Hemingway and the true story behind the short story and movie-Anyone heard of Jane Kendall Mason? Big Grin If not, you'll soon learn all about her and Hemingway by reading the article. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1939 version of The Four Feathers, with John Clements, Ralph Richardson, and C. Aubrey Smith.

Jeremiah Johnson is an all-time favorite. So is Zulu.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Born free has two great double rifle hunting scenes.
First a good lion track up in Northern Kenya. Then a loading f$&:k up on lion on the Kenyan coast.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I wish Brian Herne's book could have been a true original documentary on film!

That would be the ultimate

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11183 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deep Throat flame

Posts: 536 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ghost and the darkness and jerimiah johnson

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Safari-...keywords=safari+1956

I am with Saeed, I think Ghost in the Darkness is weird.

It wants to be good, but anti-gun Michael Douglas is killing it for me.

I wish Hawks would have made more Africa films,

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Fellas:
If you want to see great double rifle footage, both nitro express and the big bore (8+4s) bore guns, look at the Tarzan series of the 1930s with Johnny Weismuller.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Trader Horn

Big Bore Black Powder for you Cal.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by whelenite:
1939 version of The Four Feathers, with John Clements, Ralph Richardson, and C. Aubrey Smith.

tu2

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot about Four Feathers. Need to watch that again.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Trader Horn

Big Bore Black Powder for you Cal.

Yep. 49:00 Bore rifle. Look like a paradox round of 8 or 10bore

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Michael said," you were hunting with an unfired weapon" and danced with the Masai, carried a shotgun pistol, I kept thinking who picked that jerk out for such a part..I don't know any Masai that would have a white chieftain. Ruined the show, I was so happy when the lions ate him..

Best movie in history of Hollywood was "Valdez is coming" now that was a show, with some outstanding Sharps shooting, maybe a bit over the top on his shooting ability but who cares!!

"The
THREE BURIALS OF MELQUEADES ESTRADA, IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE AS IT WAS FILMED ON A RANCH WHERE I RAISED MY KIDS..and it was a great show.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
White Hunter Black Heart with Clint Eastwood

Out of Africa Great cinematography and I love the scene when Robert Redford stops the train heading to Nairobi and loads all of the Ivory.

Something of Value by Robert Roark. They did a movie long ago but nothing like the book.

The Last King of Scotland
Stander
Blood Diamond

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a copy of "The Last Safari" at Zeus

one of us
posted Hide Post
MOvies never do justice to a good book, and Rock Hudson in Something of Value hardly fit the part..

As to African shows I thought Blood Diamond was the best of all, then I found out whats his face no name, the star is a bleeding heart liberal snow flake and a anti gun activist and butt buddies with Obama..that really pissed me off! pissers wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
"Shout at the Devil" based upon a Wilber Smith book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of those are good, but "Out of Africa" reminds me of Africa the most. "Breaker Morant" was good too. Another was a book about a boy and poisonous snakes. Anyone know the name? Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Richards:
Debbie Does Dallas!
Eeker beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
any and all of the dirtty harry movies, shooter, amwerican sniper,expendables I&II,transporter I,II,II, .....................

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
MOvies never do justice to a good book, and Rock Hudson in Something of Value hardly fit the part..

As to African shows I thought Blood Diamond was the best of all, then I found out whats his face no name, the star is a bleeding heart liberal snow flake and a anti gun activist and butt buddies with Obama..that really pissed me off! pissers wave

Same with Meryl Streep.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Richards:
Debbie Does Dallas!

+1

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biddleman:
Debbie Does Africa, II

+2

Spicy

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a bit of an aside ... In the King Solomon's Mines with Stewart Granger ... the movie starts off with a bull elephant in full charge with a frontal brain shot bringing it down. The camera swings to Granger who was supposedly the shooter although, of course, it was a professional hunter (Lawrence) who knocked it down. Among others, the legendary Bunny Allen observed the charge and at the least, a camera man would have been killed except for the shot.

Everyone rejoiced... posed for photos on the elephant and then went back to camp to continue the celebration.

They sent the recovery team to get the ivory but the jumbo had recovered and left ...

It was tracked for days including the use of an airplane but was never seen again.

* This story is from the book 'White Hunters' by Brian Herne.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote