Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great picture of a cool bull. He looks a bit like I feel today!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true trophy!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1112 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wow! And wow!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes!!!

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Beats the daylights out of the SCI glorified wide young bulls! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WARRIOR!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice tattered ear, scrum cap dugga boy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would be Honored to take him.

Posts: 2642 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
He is a great old bull, and to some a shooter! However to me he has earned his retirement and should be left alone to live out his life in the bush! I would love to have seen him and got him on film for a day or two, and wish him another ten years with cool water, thick mud, and plenty of good graze! I WOULD NOT SHOOT HIM!

........................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A grand old bull no doubt. But a hunting trophy??

Different strokes I guess.

To me it is like beating an old man in a wheel chair in a fist fight. Not exactly at the top of his gamme, IMO.

My idea of the perfect buff trophy, is a heavy-bossed bull with about 50" of spread. Maybe 10 years old or so, but not so old, he is deaf and blind. LOL

JMO

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
He is a great old bull, and to some a shooter! However to me he has earned his retirement and should be left alone to live out his life in the bush! I would love to have seen him and got him on film for a day or two, and wish him another ten years with cool water, thick mud, and plenty of good graze! I WOULD NOT SHOOT HIM!

........................................................................... old

I would think this guy with no horns to defend himself with would end up as lion food quite fast.

Perfect animal to take IMO

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

To me it is like beating an old man in a wheel chair in a fist fight. Not exactly at the top of his gamme, IMO.

My idea of the perfect buff trophy, is a heavy-bossed bull with about 50" of spread. Maybe 10 years old or so, but not so old, he is deaf and blind. LOL

JMO

BH63

This is exactly the type of bull I would love to hunt. I think with his age he would be smarter than most, and to me he has that "been there, done that" look. I would be proud to go 1 on 1 with a bull like that. Opinions do vary...and that is a good thing.

Posts: 788 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the type of bull I have been looking for all these years. A real trophy !

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:

JMO

BH63

That's a trophy in my book!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Fantastic old buffalo, and a great picture. 10 days searching and finding, or not, an old warrior such as this, would be a womderful hunt.

Do I sense a few of you gentlemen have a connection to this bull? Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely a great bull. I'd not hesitate one moment to immortalize that on my wall.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
No interest for me in anyway but with a camera.

I don’t want to shoot any type of broken horned animal.

Just a personal preference.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
In a heart beat, I would love to look at him everyday on my wall. An old warrior for sure

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think this guy with no horns to defend himself with would end up as lion food quite fast.

Anton,

He didn't lose his horns overnight and he seems to have survived the thrills and spills OK so far.

Funny how a lots of folks look upon this wizened old bull as a trophy when back in the days a PH would be frowned upon (to put it mildly) if he dared suggest him as a trophy. coffee

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great buffalo is one that has done its breeding and was hunted hard on foot and allowed to beat the hunter.

This old man is that.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm yes a bit of a dilemma for sure, on one hand an old bull past it's prime that has somehow survived being predated by fellow African animals (only just by the look of his ears) and also by man. So in one hand a trophy that many wouldn't have the opportunity to take and on the other an old specimen to let live out his final days.

I've shot a few old animals in my life, one a 14 year old chamois whose horns had worn to 2" stubs polished to transparency enough to see the bone underneath. He was as scruffy as that buffalo looks but having escaped other hunters and the helicopter culling machines for all those years he was an interesting specimen to collect, as I think would be that buff.
I'm not a trophy hunter as such so would take that and leave the real trophies to those that appreciated them more than I would. He would make an interesting talking point.

Perhaps one could hire MS as PH who I'm sure could provoke some sort of charge from the old fella, as arthritic and decrepit as it maybe, as some sort of justification for a shot Roll Eyes

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps one could hire MS as PH who I'm sure could provoke some sort of charge from the old fella, as arthritic and decrepit as it maybe, as some sort of justification for a shot Roll Eyes

Or bait, as has been the sorry end for many such old fellas. Wink

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I would really like to spend a long cold night sitting by a fire and talk of the good old days with that old boy - naturally while we share a bottle of a very good single malt.On secont thoughts I also would not maid spending a slow afternoon talking to my grandson while every so often putting just a small piece of wood into the fire under the cast iron put. I will relate the experience of my hunt - and sip a cvery cold beer - but just until that old boy's tongue is nice and tender. Then I'll go check on the progress in the skinning shed, and again marvel at the wonders of life as a hunter.

I know that I'm daydreaming, but that old boy can only get me daydreaming. What, in my humble and minority opinion, a fantasic trophy!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is the sort of bull that lives alone. Knows his home like the back of his hands.

And hides in the worst thicket one could possibly find.

He will charge at the slightest provocation, from very close.

I have shot quite a few of these.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This is the sort of bull that lives alone. Knows his home like the back of his hands.

And hides in the worst thicket one could possibly find.

He will charge at the slightest provocation, from very close.

I have shot quite a few of these.

Good stuff.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Nice old boy but what with the trophy fee being so high most look for something more complete in the head gear department.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pay extra for one of these !

Never seen one in all my hunting

posted Hide Post
It's as if you can sense his age in the look of his eye.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Dammit Dahlgren. Amazing picture as usual. I've been thinking about this type of bull. I saw a couple of them running together years ago in Zim. Now you're gonna make me go back and look for one. Terrific bull.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anton,

Great pic as usual. I'm torn on this one. I've killed a few buffalo but never a big one so I'm still looking but not hard. On the other hand I shot an ancient broken horned Harnessed bushbuck an huge broken horn Lesser kudu on purpose. Yeah! I'd probably shoot the old boy just because he's unique.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If he had one horn, he'd be perfect!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12687 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would a toothless old warthog be considered a trophy?

How about an old lion with few teeth and no mane?

How about a leopard that is blind and toothless, with big gobs of hair missing from his coat?

Or a skinny, old elephant with just nubs for ivory?

Like I said "different strokes, for different folks."

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about a leopard that is blind and toothless, with big gobs of hair missing from his coat?

BH63

When buff are plentiful and truly wild, the best is a an adult dagga boy bull with really nice, big horns-hard bossed.Second an old dagga with polished horns.Third is a very old dagga.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63

Absolutely!
Taken two buffalo simmilar to that one and a busted toothed, poor mained old Lion that are high on the list of my trophy hunting memorys

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t even think about shooting that buffalo as my first, but would definitely go out of my way to shoot one like that now.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crimes against the elderly!

BH63

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Not good for a first buff on a one buff hunt, but great for later hunts or one of a multiple buff hunt.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many people would voluntarily pass up a 50", hard-bossed, breeding bull in order to shoot that old guy? (provided both were legal).

Just saying.

BH63

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Agreed....a GREAT buffalo. tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote