New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Zambia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the main reasons one picks Zambia over Zim. I know there are some unique PG species, are lion also better there?

Who would you say are the top PHs/ outfits in Zambia. Thanks,

Reddy375

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I believe the succes rates on Lion and leopard are considerably better in Zambia. While I have yet to go to Zim, Zambia was wild country. Two weeks before we arrived, two people were trampled by elephants. We had elephants in camp every night along with hippos. They had to be chased out by the staff banging pans. We heard lions roaring nightly until I shot mine. We saw leopare and lion in the daylight. Crocs were abundant as were plains game (puku, bushbuck, impala but roan, kudu and several others were regulary seen)While we were there, a women and then the father of our game scout were mauled by lions. Zambia was great. There are several good outfits. I hunted with Jhhnny Duploy's outfit with Alistar Norton as my PH. Alistar no longer works for Johnny, but I highly recommend him.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Zambia has well maned lion, roan, the largest sable in Africa, sititunga, and 3 types of lechwe. Zimbabwe has some of the best general and inexpensive big game hunting if the hunter isn't looking for the best trophies, but just a great experience at a reasonable price. Although some areas in Zimbabwe are known for large leopard, large elephant, large maned lion they do not tend to co-enside in the same area. Zimbabwean elephant are exportable to the US and Zambian aren't.

I've looked into lion outfits some in Zambia and all my info is second hand, so take it for what it's worth. Lion in Zambia can very from spotty in mane to MGM and even in the same area. The luangwa valley has a lot of lion and success is high, but no one seems to be preocupied with a lion's age as long as there isn't milk on it's lips. Some areas have higher lion quotas than others in the luangwa and if lion where on the list I would pick the most reputable outfitter with the most border on national parks that had the lowest yearly lion quota relative to concession size. The luangwa has lots of roan, but sable are sparse to nonexistant at best.

The other area of dangerous game interest is the Kafue. The Kafue has few buffalo and so fewer lions than the Luangwa. However the quality of lion's mane tends to be better and more consistant on average in the Kafue. So your chances of success are a little less, but the chances of a really well maned lion are better. As one person pointed out to me when I brought this up though is that "you don't shoot the mane!" The Kafue seems to have better general plains game hunting including, sable, roan, eland, and even in some concessions healthy populations of lechwe and sititunga.

If you are looking for a general bag safari or a really nice lion I would on the whole look at Zambia over Zimbabwe. If you just want a dangerous game hunt and quality isn't a concern I would go to Zimbabwe. If you want elephant Zimbabwe.

Just my 2 cents from reading, hearing, and observing.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want lion and ele, go to Tanzania.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and in zambia you're not giving mugabes thugs any money. it is quite a bit more expensive though, although not so much as tanz. there is much unique and top notch game to be had, but you're going to travel a bit to get it.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had the pleasure to hunt the nkalla-bilili area on the eastern border of the kafue park in 03 and 04.

If our experience is any indicator you will find the buff to be larger in body and horn than in the selous with very good bosses. Most of the buff move in and out of the park and can be in VAST herds. One herd was said to contain 1,200 animals and another 500 or so. I do know that when they were on the move they created quite a dust cloud.

We entered the park both trips from the s.e. and exited to the s.w. and saw little, very little, plains game of any sort but did see leopard and lion tracks fairly often.

We loved the country and the area but if the overall experience is what you seek the selous has no peer. Having also hunted Zim twice and the selous twice, (mk1 and L1) the selous has huge numbers of many species of plains game along with all the big 4 in abundance.

I would still like to hunt the Luangua area with Johnny Duplooy. Both Johnny and the area enjoy a good reputation.

Adrian,

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm headed to Zambia next July for my first safari, hunting for leopard, sitatunga, and sable. I started off choosing Zambia for sitatunga, but I later decided to expand my hunt to include the great sable and leopard the country (and, specifically, the region/outfit: Lunga Luswishi/Prohunt Zambia) is known for. I understand that there's a greater variety and abundance of plains game than typically seen in Zimbabwe, and that we'll be hunting in largely unspoiled country. The cost is significantly higher, though.

Because of the lack of sitatunga, I never considered Zimbabwe, but I imagine I'll go there in the future for cheap buff and elephants. The Mugabe stuff does make me a bit nervous about booking anything too far in advance in Zim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sandyhunter, I have been to Richards area(ProHunt) , and it is absolutely loaded with game! You will see monster sable, Roan, Puku, warthog, Croc, Lion, Leopard and lots of other various game. He also shot the new world record Sitatunga recently if I am not mistaken. You will have a fantastic time! Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great to hear, Jeff. I'm very excited about the trip. I imagine I'll shoot about 1,000 photos while I'm there -- and some bullets, too.

One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
sandyhunter,
Would that be Sandy, Tx?

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that Sandy

One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Zambia twice with John du Plooy, and consider him tops in my book. Great PH, excellent camps and staff, and darn good company. Muchinga Adventures is the name of his outfit. He's the one that gives my my tag line "dreaming of Luangwa".

www.muchingaadventures.com

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Zambia is a great country to hunt - albeit pricey compared to Zimbabwe - but if you are looking for different species, then its worth considering. I have hunted both the Kafue and Luangwa areas.
Nyampala is good for buffalo, croc, hippo, leopard and plainsgame - Lion are good but not great - only problem with the Luangwa areas - people and villages !
Now if you want to shoot excellent lion - then check out Hunters & Guides area in Kosonso/Busanga - the area is well managed by PH Gavin Hume - they have a quota of 5 lion per year - but they decide to only shoot 3 lion per season - therefore ensuring top trophy quality.
Its also a great area for top class Sable, Sitatunga, Puku, red Lechwe, Lichtensteins Hartebeest and a variety of other species - AND NO PEOPLE OR VILLAGES - a true wilderness area bordering the north western section of the Kafue National Park. !

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Kasonso Busanga and Gavin Hume

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote