New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Wild Dogs In Action!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
What was missed in the story was the fact that the wild dogs did this for pleasure and not for hunger reasons.
Kinda goes as gains the anti hunting crowd believe that humans are the only pleasure hunters.
FWIW, wolves kill for fun all the time too!

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What was missed in the story was the fact that the wild dogs did this for pleasure and not for hunger reasons.
Kinda goes as gains the anti hunting crowd believe that humans are the only pleasure hunters.

So do cats.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
YES cats kill for sport.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Cats don’t know what sport or fun is . They kill because they are fulfilling their instinctual/evolutionary destinies. What looks like fun to us (because the mice are not eaten?) is a hardwired function of cat-hood.

posted Hide Post
Baxter I agree with you. I guess we’re just talking semantics vis a vis the meaning of “sport.” I hunt because it is hardwired into me and it fulfills my evolutionary destiny. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey P:
Baxter I agree with you. I guess we’re just talking semantics vis a vis the meaning of “sport.” I hunt because it is hardwired into me and it fulfills my evolutionary destiny. Smiler

Agree!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly so. Read “Meditations on Hunting.”
We have a bigger forebrain, and add filters, i.e. ethics like not wasting.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:...

I remember they had killed a whole herd of elk in Montana some years back. The outfitters were livid.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Feb 14, 8:51 AM Hide Post

Absolutely Canuck32, Wolves are sport killing monsters. One need only research what they've done in Yellowstone and surrounding States. Sick and weak? BS! They love the chase and the slaughter.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why anyone is surprised. They apparently don't understand the animals they have. Not the animal's fault, it's the humans.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:...

I remember they had killed a whole herd of elk in Montana some years back. The outfitters were livid.

It was in Bondurant, WY.

(CNN)A pack of wolves slaughtered a herd of elk in one night, Wyoming wildlife officials said Friday.

Nineteen elk, mostly calves, were found dead several days ago at a feeding ground near Bondurant, a town southeast of Jackson, said John Lund of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. A contractor delivering feed to the herd discovered the dead animals.
Lund said wildlife officials are concerned because wolves usually eat what they kill or come back later to feed.
The pack suspected of killing the elks has nine wolves, he added.
There are about 1,100 elk in the area, he said, and about 7% of the population has been lost to wolves this winter.
"There is a significant concern among wildlife managers," he said, noting that there are no reports of wolves attacking humans. "Our concern is big game."
But there's nothing the state agency can do, he said. Wolves are federally protected and managed.
In 2012, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service planned to take wolves off the endangered list and turn over management of the animals to Wyoming, according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. That would have allowed state-regulated hunting of wolves.
But a federal judge ruled in 2014 that wolves remain under federal control and be relisted as an endangered species.
The federal agency could kill wolves that are attacking livestock but not wildlife, said Mike Jiminez, the wildlife service's Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf coordinator, according to the Casper Star Tribune.
Wolves, once nearly extinct, were reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park in the mid-1990s, according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. The number of wolves grew and spread across the region.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem was that the deer and sheep were in an enclosure and could not get away thus the rampage. In a natural setting the prey animals can run away and only one gets caught but in this incident the dogs will overkill when the prey animal can't escape. The setting was unnatural and the dogs were allowed to do an unnatural killing. I have heard of mountain lions getting into a pen of domestic sheep and many being killed but not so much from the cat as by the sheep piling up on top of each other and a mass smothering occurring for the ones on the bottom.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7, the elk are not penned but are congregated making killing just too easy.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Lhook7, the elk are not penned but are congregated making killing just too easy.

I didn’t say they were penned. There is no pen hunting in Wyoming.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, of course they weren't penned but being fed they were concentrated in an area.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Cats don’t know what sport or fun is . They kill because they are fulfilling their instinctual/evolutionary destinies. What looks like fun to us (because the mice are not eaten?) is a hardwired function of cat-hood.

The above is absolutely true! It is built into their nature, as it is in many animals, INCLUDING MAN. Humans are omnivores, and eat everything that has value to their bodies benefit. it is human nature too just as it is to predators. Simply because we do not always eat what we kill, others do. Nothing taken on safari is wasted.
The anti hunting people eat fish, birds, and steaks, Burgers, and get the use of those animals that are killed for their food, they just let someone else do their killing.

Every animal killed on safari feeds someone, mostly humans, but also other animals.
Can anyone here imagine trying to buy a freezer large enough to keep elephant steaks? Even if one could bring all that meat home , it would be so costly no-one could afford it. However that meat is not wasted because an elephant will feed several hundred people, with the meat, and protect their vegetable farm crops as well.

………………………………………………………….. 2020 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote