Find
Notify
Tools

I really miss Cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
Cal was a big influence in my life. Although our ages were not that far apart, I looked at him as a father figure.

We spoke frequently. On a day like yesterday, here in Phoenix, we would laugh about the heat. It was 117 on my way home. He would say "Are you going to boil lobsters in your pool for dinner?". Never got old.

He also helped me countless times on editing my articles. I learned so much about writing, DR's and just being a good human.

His passing left a hole in my life. Frowner

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Many fellow hunters and double rifle enthusiasts were saddened by his death. My condolences to you, Steve, and others that truly knew Cal and miss him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
Many fellow hunters and double rifle enthusiasts were saddened by his death. My condolences to you, Steve, and others that truly knew Cal and miss him.

Thanks Mike.

We visited him at his cabin 7-8 years ago. He met my disabled son, Brian. After that meeting, he sent Brian a birthday gift, every year. Never missed one.

How a man treats the disabled speaks volumes of their character.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
He was definitely one of the good ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal was a great guy. Took my kids up a few years back to his cabin on a nice October day. We had a great time looking at and touching his mounts and DRs. He had my wife and I a while later out to shoot some of his guns, I accidentally pulled a double on his 8bore and learned the hard way to be very cautious of which trigger(s) I was touching! His 4bore was a riot to shoot.

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal was a good man in his dealings with me. Met him several times. Sad to learn of his sudden demise .

Posts: 11991 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much comfort, but the fact that so many have expressed their feelings about his passing prove that his was a life well-lived.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Not much comfort, but the fact that so many have expressed their feelings about his passing prove that his was a life well-lived.

+1!

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal’s contributions will be missed for sure.

Actually, it’s always sad when we lose any of our AR members. We hunters & gun enthusiasts are a special brotherhood and sisterhood.

It seems that the next generations are more interested in semi auto ‘black rifles’, and that’s OK by me, but the circle of DR & Bolt action lovers like Cal and many of us are disappearing.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only dealings with Cal was a recent appraisal of my DR which he timely executed in a most professional and gentlemanly manner and am privileged to have this signed report as a memento.

Posts: 1909 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Was anything ever posted concerning what he passed from?

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading Cal’s posts and found his continual literary jousting with Saeed entertaining.

I never met him, but felt like I knew him to some extent.

Posts: 10658 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

His DR expertise, the Alaska big bore shoots, his writing and publishings, his never waiving praise for Mark Sullivan and his never ending crossing of pens with Saeed over all things Sullivan. And so much more.

A lot of things to be missed!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2262 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Steve, sorry man. I do appreciate your post and expression of your respect and also loss. May you and others touched by Cal heal and move on in due time.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

. . . being married to a Special Ed teacher I absolutely agree.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

. . . being married to a Special Ed teacher I absolutely agree.

Bless your wife Mike. The Special Ed teachers we've dealt with over the years have all been Angels and possess the patience of Job.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think with most Special Ed teachers it is more a passion than a job . . . and they do tend to have the patience of Job.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have great admiration for people with special needs.

They never stop amazing me of what they can actually do once they their minds to it.

A friend has a son who cannot walk without assistance.

He is 11, and loves to swim, and shoot.

Whenever they come over, I set up a shooting board with table tennis balls stuck on.

I color them.

Then shoot with both air rifles and air pistols, all PCPs.

A while back I asked him he wanted to shoot real guns!

I took them all to our underground range, and they all shot 22 rim fire.

Then I set up a 220 Swift for him, and put a full can of Pepsi.

The look on his face as he blew that one to bits was priceless!

He took the pieces back home with him.

He wanted to shoot a 22 pistol, which he found hard to hold.

I put my hand just ahead of the trigger guard, so I am taking the weight.

He beat everyone, except his mother!

I promised him he would if he comes here more often.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67023 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I think with most Special Ed teachers it is more a passion than a job . . . and they do tend to have the patience of Job.

I am a Teacher (not Special Ed). I have an admiration for the Special Ed teachers. They truly do an amazing job and the kids appreciate them so much. They (teachers) are worth far more in their occupation than I am.

A few years back my wife was asked to apply for a Special Ed Aid job. She was very reluctant to do so but decided to try it. She absolutely loves it and she constantly talks about how great the kids are. I feel a bit guilty as she and her department are underpaid but they do it more for the kids than the money.

It sure seems to be that Cal was not only a great teacher but a great person.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal was a great human, hunter, teacher, member of that forum.
I miss his posts (and our private PMs)...

In the moment, I write an magazine-article about him, his live, his love to doubles and his last safari(s).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal was a true gentlemen, not many of his ilk left.

Our loss is heaven's gain!

God speed Cal, you are missed.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I really miss Cal as well!!

We should be coming back from Alaska about now, having enjoyed his Double Rifle shoot... and a nice car trip around Central Alaska, maybe some King Salmon Fishing, and the Valdez STOL aircraft competition...

I miss the phone calls and chats...anxious to hear Cal's report on his hunt...!!

The Good Guys go to soon!!

RIP CAL...

470EDDY

Posts: 2572 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote