THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Question for the Zimbabwian Forum Members

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Zimbabwian Forum Members
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
We have a number of forum users that are resident in Zimbabwe or spend a substantial amount of time in Zimbabwe. I am curious as to their assessment of the present situation. Reports from hunters that have traveled to Zim recently seem to indicate no problems and for those that have hunted in Zimbabwe for many years they discern little change this year over previous years. Others seem to suggest that a melt down is imminent or that the present situation is in some way clearly worse than in the past.

I was curious what those in country and most familiar with the past and present situation have to say on the subject assuming they are comfortable weighing in.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that I don't count because I'm not on the ground there But I did talk with some friends this A.M. On the hunting side, things are well. Hunters are coming in and going out and doing well. There is adequate food supplies and fuel for the camps. The telephones in Bulawayo are working. Every one that has access to foreign currency and a way into and out of South Africa with the ability to move supplies are doing ok. They are continuously "making a plan".

The bad news is that after this silly price freeze the shelves are literally bare now in the shops and many people are truly with out basic food supplies, meal, oil, salt, sugar, meat. Electricity is off for 8 hours and longer and water delivery is becoming erratic.

If there is a silver lining to all this it is the "Feeling" That Mugabe is losing his grip on power and there may be an African style election very soon. That means that Mugabe and top crew may take what they have stolen and depart to a client state. The next "Big Man" will step up to take power. No one expects any real violence or civil war. The worst any one really expects is some confusion for a few day. The Red Cross and several other organizations are standing by now to bring relief into the country as soon as they think it will not all be stolen.

Just my .02 worth.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
problem being after uncle bob gets the ouster, there are many others waiting to take his place. many of which have as power as bob

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Emails are getting bounced back within Zim. I email my Outfitters daily and get one out of 10 replies returned. This morning I emailed and told them to send me a postal letter. This sucks! I have Leopards to sort out. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
I guess that I don't count because I'm not on the ground there.

Just my .02 worth.

els,

You are always welcome to weigh in. I find your posts to be insightful and well informed -- even if you wife does tell you what to type. Wink

Mike

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Emails are getting bounced back within Zim. I email my Outfitters daily and get one out of 10 replies returned. This morning I emailed and told them to send me a postal letter. This sucks! I have Leopards to sort out. LDK

If you are having GRIEF with emails coming into and out from Zim's there is a reasonable or very simple solution.

All you need to do is create a (free) MESSAGE FORUM on a server outside Zimbabwe, then you can tell your friends or whomever you wish to communicate with the URL link and that way you can (all communicate) without the prying eye's of the AUTHORITIES

If you need more help let me know

EMAIL Peter  Balla-Balla Company Portfolio
Peter J. Bird

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst life is certainly interesting, there is no sign of riots or general agro. Yes there are queues for cheep government fuel, and there are shortages of most basics- but almost everyone has a black market contact by now who can supply milk/beef/eggs or whatever else is needed.

Actually for normal house hold groceries, we have been phoning Makro in Jo'berg, putting the order together and getting a transport company to bring the goods up for months now. Far cheeper. We gave up on shopping for most goods in zim arround Christmas and all this has ment is a slight expansion to the SA shopping list.

Fuel is a problem, but no PH or safari operator worth his salt has at least 100 gals in the shed and black market fuel is always available.

Having traveled widely in Africa, things are no worse here than they are in a dozen other African countries I have hunted in.

The bigger operators who have a large werehouses of supplies and their own fuel depot will obviously have fewer hiccups that a one man operator who doesn't have the finances to stockpile supplies for the season and bring in a dak with more if supplies or fuel run low.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Thanks for the report.

Mike

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I'll be spending a few days in Harare, and driving down from Chewore North and was wondering myself the wisdom of this plan, but i have been assured that the people who live there, will make the stay a very enjoyable one, and just like if you came to visit me here in LA, if you went out alone, day or night and wandered into the wrong places, it would not end up good. But I know where NOT to go, and so do my friends there.

It looks as though I'll be doing a lecture for a big group of dentists one night while I'm there, and really looking forward to it. From what I am told, they have not had a foreign speaker in the country for quite a few years, so EVEN I have quite a group signed up already.

I'll be sure to file a report and pictures when I return

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I have an sept 07 safari set up in zim with HHK. My wife is worried about the current situation overthere. Am I crazy for still going?

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carlos this is Africa- If there are riots it will be confined to Harare and Bulawayo. Both airports are a long way out of town. If you are concerned, book a charter flight to the hunting concession. Since all of hhk's concessions are remote and most are parks land with no resident people, there could be a full blown civil war and you wouldn't know - or notice.

If things suddenly detiorate to the point where I no longer think it is safe for my family, I'll be sure to let the forum know.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Good grief!

Many fly in and out of camp. They take their satellite phones, cell phones, GPS, laptops, and probably a bunch of other stuff I have never even heard of. They e-mail and call Mom everyday, or take Mom with them, and e-mail and phone everyone else.

Nothing like being in virtual wilderness. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, point taken. Just go and have a good time. I will do exactly that.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I was in Zim the last two weeks in May of this year. Flew into Harare and hunted in the Doma area and spent some time in Karoi. No problems of any sort were encountered. Only saw one regular gas station that had fuel and the line was very long. Fuel is available on the black market and it seems like all the PH's have made arrangements. We stayed away from the main camp (where fuel was stored) for longer than expected and had to buy some fuel. The station wouldn't take Zim $$ only US so I had to front the PH some good old US $$. Charged us $1.00 per liter.

Ran into several road blocks along the way, but never any problems with them. We simply slowed down and were waived through. Didn't appear that they were interested in hunters.

Clearing customs in Harare with guns was a pleasure compared to RSA.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I have spoken to a few of my friends in Harare, and they are only requesting batteries, music CD's, some specialized gifts for the kids and some first aid supplies. It seems they have everything else they need, and are not suffering any real hardships. I think if you are well connected, daily life just becomes a drill, not unlike we have here....

There are places and people to go to, to get the good deals, there are places you just don't go, and there are places you take your friends, to show them what a beautiful place you live in. I didn't take my PH friends to Watts Towers in LA, but it is part of our culture, howevever, we'll probably choose some more favorable sights to see first...

I expect my ZIM hosts will do the same with me. I've also studied a lot about the history of RHOD-ZIM, and I'll enjoy seeing some of both cultures intermingled.

I can't WAIT to go. Hope Ganyana will be around???

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
speaking of hunting in Zim I talked with Dudley Rogers of Tshabezi Safaris this morning, their afternoon and the hunting has so far been going fine. They did have a cancellation so they will have some elephant and some other stuff available around the first of Oct. I am planing a trip on the 5 or 6th of Oct. This will be my 4th trip with them. Dudley and Tess , his wife, have run this family owned operation for the last 20 years or so. Great folks. If you are interested in a late season hunt give them a ring.

http://www.tshabezisafaris.com/

phone # 011-263-16318 Remember they are 8 hours later that we are central time. thought I'd as a picture or two of hunts

bull taken late 2005

first buffalo with Clinton Rodgers 2006

Glassing for Elephant and buffalo

PAC bull taken in some incredibly thick brush in 06 This kind of hunting is the tops for adrenaline junkies.

Happy Zebra hunter. I love hunting those things. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have been very lucky just to have the chance to hunt in africa

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Carlos, I have hunted in May 07 with HHK in their Omay South Area, encountered no problem at all. I see no problem for your hunt and wish you all the best. I am also contemplating on booking another hunt in Zimbabwe for next year.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahmed, thanks for the info. How was your hunt? Did you harvest most of the animals you were after? I'm specifically going for cape, hippo, croc & plainsgame. Any additional info would be great. thanks, carlos

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Ronald Reagan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasover in May with "Chifutti Safaris" and had an excellent hunt. Not even a hint that things were possibly unstable.

We had everything we needed in our remote camp and never ran out of anything.

I'll be going back over in Late Oct.

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, this is Damian,your good customer in southeast texas. I saw your pics at your company website and they are great. Look forward to utilizing your gear in Zim.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Ronald Reagan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Zim three times, and understand how the operators are able to continue despite the wheels falling off in urban areas. However, one act that could devastate the companies would be enforcement of banking rules, requiring receipts to be deposited in Zim banks for Zim $ at the official rate. I owuld like to hear from those more knowlegeable than I on this issue.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Carlos, May 07 was our second trip to Zimbabwe with HHK, earlier we have hunted with them in 2004.

In 2004, we came for Ele, Leopard, Buff and Sable, we got decent representative trophy of all of our desired trophies.

For 2007, my father booked a Lion hunt and I had booked a Leopard hunt with an upgrade option for Elephant and Buffalo.

On 5th day of hunt my father had an opportunity on a very good black mane Lion but unfortunately for him his rifle scope went faulty and he missed the lion, completely broadside at 70 Yards.

I could have got a leopard early in the hunt, as two of our bait got hit with the spoor indicating and average male but I was after a big Leopard and perseverance paid off as I shot a Monster on 11th day of the hunt.

During the hunt I also had opportunities on 40Lbs Ele and two 38-39†Buff but turn down the chance, as I wanted superior trophy quality.

All in all, we couldn’t ask for more.

Which area are you planning to go in Sep?

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahmed, I'm hunting in the Omay area for 10 days. This is my first trip to Africa and not sure what to really expect. I do a lot of hunting in south texas for deer and hogs and it is damn hot here (average temp 98 degrees with 100% humidity). From what I've read, it will be similiar temps in africa this late in the season. My battery consists of a 458 lott for the buff and hippo. 375 h&h for the plainsgame. I hope to have the time of my life. Thanks for your info. Carlos

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Ronald Reagan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fivebigbores, great pictures and great animals. I'll be sure to post pictures when I get back.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Ronald Reagan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the situation has deteriorated further in the last few days and that the US gov has issued a new travel advisory. Any word from folks on the ground in Zim?

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Carlos, considering value for money, I can’t think of better place than Omay for your choice of animals. Your timing is also spot on, our both PHs told us that August onwards in the dry season there are definitely more buffalo coming out of the park. Which camp are you hunting from and who is your Ph?

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahmed, thats good to know. HHK has not told me specifically which camp or whom my PH will be but as soon as I find out I'll let you know.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Ronald Reagan