Find
Notify
Tools

For elephant - which one and why?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Some folks get a big-ass head around here sometimes.

Hey, if you only want certain responses don't post questions, or get your own freaking forum.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Hey, if you only want certain responses don't post questions, or get your own freaking forum.

Ah more pearls from Mr. Stewart. I ignored the first dig. But the second one well, I probably should ignore this one two, but...what the hell, you are trying to lure me out (and I have always tried to give the people what they want) and Slug is editing his posts (but sure Slug, we can put this behind us no harm, no foul - right), so why not...

You might be right Mr. Stewart. Maybe what I should do is write a book and then publish it myself - shamelessly promoting it for free on someone elses (no cost to me) internet forum. (and here I been trying to be good. I guess that idea is shot to hell and gone - oh well, bottoms up!)

Why don't we just close this thread. There is a good idea. Let's forget about the posts that actually meant something and contributed to the initial question posed for the good of not only me, but for everyone who opened the thread and took a look, garnering a bit of knowledge.

By the way - don't forget -
"Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $55 postpaid:
The Elephant Hunters, P.O. Box 104, Spring Hill, Kansas 66083 USA - you can even get your copy autographed. WOW!

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allout
Does your brother still have his 500/416 Krieghoff for sale?

If so I would urge you to consider it for your "Elephant Gun".
I have shot it, and can say, I would prefer it to ANY bolt action.

Why not get a double... Join the DRSS.... Forget about that Bolt Rifle Trash....
Leave the Dark Side....

Use the Force....

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Will:

Ah more pearls from Mr. Stewart. I ignored the first dig. But the second one well, I probably should ignore this one two, but...what the hell, you are trying to lure me out (and I have always tried to give the people what they want) and Slug is editing his posts (but sure Slug, we can put this behind us no harm, no foul - right), so why not...

Yes, I edited my last post (only the last one) after thinking about it a little and not wanting to continue a pissing match. I'm trying to be courteous. That doesn't mean I'll sit back and have you suggest that I thought you were right all along. You are one sanctimonious son of a bitch. Will is right, you should get your own forum.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
...... not wanting to continue a pissing match. I'm trying to be courteous. ...... You are one sanctimonious son of a bitch......

bsflag

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
...........DAMN THE pissersPISSING CONTESTS HERE LATELY!........

What in hell is wrong with you guys?

thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about elephants other than to stay away from them but I voted anyway.

Best Regards,
Muletrain

Came back to say that I just read all the posts and that nothing has changed around here. hammering Still as entertaining as ever.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
...........DAMN THE pissersPISSING CONTESTS HERE LATELY!........

What in hell is wrong with you guys?

thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown

You're right. I deleted my last post. Sorry to all.

-+-+-

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I do think it is a good idea to use your "Elephant Gun" as much as possible before you go to Africa.
I used my big bore doubles for deer, wild pigs, black bear, caribou, and even coyote for a few years before going to Zimbabwe.

I used lighter loads with lighter bullets for quite a bit of this hunting, the bullets being more suited to the smaller game.
These 3/4 power loads did produce less recoil, but whem I shot with full power loads at game I could not really tell the difference between the two.

As a result I can handle my 450 No2 like a 22, ie. I do not even think about the recoil when shooting at game.

Allout has a good plan, get an "Elephant Gun" he likes and shooting it a lot.

Good advice from NE450No2. Not that '450' is a one gun man, but there is a saying "beware the one gub man'.

Recoil may be different between different loads, but the stock, barrel, scope, trigger will still be the same. And as '450' says you don't feel the recoil when hunting.

I always try to use my big bore and double rifles on feral game hunts for fun and practice. Nothing better than shooting several dozen beasts in true hunting circumstances for practice for the big stuff.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .404 J. Something about it screams "Classic Africa". I don't think it would be too hard on the smaller game. I like shooting everything here in the US with a .375. There is something to be said for a bigger slower moving bullet.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 404 Jeffery. My reasons were (and someone can correct me if I'm a little off target - excuse the pun!)

1). It gained a legendary reputation in Africa as a DG calibre (and only because Kynoch stopped producing ammo in the 60's did it lose that popularity)
2). It can drive 400gr at 2400 fps or a tad faster, which puts it in the same class as the 416 Rigby
3). From what I understand it can drive the 400's at 2400fps with less pressure than the 416 Remington Magnum
4). Cases can be made from the Remington Ultramag brass, which should be cheaper than the Rigby cases
5). Doesn't recoil as much as the .458's
6). Can be made into a light, fast handling rifle.
And I'm going to be building one so that is reason enough as well.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
By the way, I am 30, since you are so interested.

Now that does explain quite a bit.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Two posts after May 2007!

Supose Brian has already chosen his rifle and shot a couple of elephant with it by now?

........................................... lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I can assure you that no elephant will be able to tell the difference.

So take the one you prefer.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "vote" for the .416 Remington for the following reasons.

The .416 is plenty of caliber for the client. The latest .416 solids will penetrate incredibly.

There are several modern powders that allow the 416 Remington case size to be loaded to full power without high heat causing excessive pressure.

The 416 has a great combination of trajectory and frontal area making it a big game rifle with plains game ability instead of some of the smaller calibers that are medium game cartridges capable of taking big game (BIG difference there).

GREAT factory ammo is available from several sources, I just received some Hornady 400g ammo in both solid and expanding bullets that I am itching to try.

Lighter bullets are available for practice and smaller game, the cartridge works through a Winchester action, ammo is available in just about any corner of the planet and it WORKS.

MV

Watch the impact!
Mike

Posts: 29 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Others here have said all I could regarding versatility of the 416. I would choose the Rigby over the Remington because its working pressure is lower. I have killed all three of my ele with a 470 double, but have taken a 416 Rigby along as a backup/ other game rifle. he recoil is manageable, and the trajectory reasonable. It will do anything the 375 H&H will, and then some.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just went to Laramie to test my new .450 Rigby! For me it was an excellent choice with 480 Woodleigh solids at 2300 fps. Therefore, given the choices for Allout I would probably decide on the Lott or, in second place the .458 Win Mag for all the reasons Ledvm stated.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
First off there is no such thing as overkill. Dead is Dead! Since you want or desire to hunt Dangerous Game then be prepared to shoot a big bore. The Lott has plenty of horsepower. If s--- hits the fan do you want a minimum gun in your hands.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curiously, I have actually met two huntrs who use one caliber for everything. One used a 416 Remington and the other a 404 Jeff. Both were in the SCI multi species quest but felt their one rifle was adequate. I met one at a whitetail ranch and another at an elk hunt. Neither seemed to have much interest in guns but liked hunting.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dakota45056:
Voted for the 458 Lott because you didn't have a 500 on the list.

Dak

+1

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!

I suggest some female company... clap

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have every caliber you listed. I like the 416s and 404J for versatility and carrying.
IIRC, Buzz carries a 416 Rigby and Nixon carries a 416 Rem, lots of Elephants and Buffs between those two.

BTW, you could learn a lot from Will's books.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 416 Remmy because I FREAKING LOVE MINE!!!

Just Sayin...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I voted for the Lott - because it's an elephant rifle and there was nothing bigger on the list. Big Grin
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
I choose the Lott because it is the biggest of what you gave us to choose from.

As far as it working on other critters, you can't kill anything too dead and there is no such thing as overkill.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While far from an expert in the subject matter I voted .416 Rem.mag.
.404 Jeff was a close call, however!

I excluded the heavier due to recoil that I cannot manage.
Based on the readings of experienced elephant hunters I think the "correct" answer would have been .458 Lott.

Given the excellent reputation of the .416 in general, bullet availability, and manageable recoil I voted .416.
The same would apply to the .404 Jeff, however. Thinking of other use and practicing plus cost of ammo the .416 wins by a very narrow margin.

Why rem.mag instead of Rigby?
Good question. A more modern proposition plus usually one more round in the magazine. This means better versatility in other hunting.
Also I know of some rem.mag users but only one who has the Rigby. Thus, better option for me from the point of view of load development and case availability.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Wow…this one is from a while ago…
After having spent a couple of months in Zim last year and a couple in RSA…I have seen more than a couple of dead elephants. A lot of blunders. A lot of successes. The righteousness of some calibers, as well as, the lack of ability to impress in others. A very well-worn hunter told me last year in Zim, “You don’t need more than a .458 win for this job {obviously we were talking elephant hunting}. Anything less will get you killed and anything more is just for show.” I did paraphrase just a bit, but you get the idea. I am not saying he was right, or wrong. What I have come to believe is this: Pick a rifle and caliber you shoot better than average with. Then practice. And practice. And then practice some more. Expect everything to go straight to hell. Be prepared to deal with it when it does.
Cheers,
Brian

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Lot of bad blood and angry words up there also. Honestly, that all needs to be left exactly where it is...in the past.
There is just more to life than all that.
I do hope some of you, new and old, find some interesting information here.
- B

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I voted for the 458 Win Mag. With North Fork 450 gr solids, it is fairly easy to achieve 2250 fps velocity with either H4895 or AA2230 powder. This rifle has the least recoil of any mentioned except the Jeffery. At the close range of a charge, the difference in a Lott and WM in velocity is probably negligible.

tu2

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Allout

Forget about all that Bolt Rifle Trash.
Get yourself a good double in the 450/400 to 470 range.

However if you must use a Bolt rifle I would get the 458 Lott, load 500 grainers to @2200fps,
or North Fork 450 Fp and CP solids to 2250fps.

For deer and wild pigs I would load the Hornady 350gr RN to @2300fps.

For even less recoil you can load 300 or 400gr bullets to @1800fps.

PS. Your picture is still in every Cab in Dallas. Big Grin

Why would you bother with the Lott?

You can get those velocities easily with a 458 WM and a 22" barrel without excessive pressure.

And you can get 2700, not 2300, with a 350 TSX.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pot meet kettle.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Would prefer a double but from this list 458WM. Always ammo and it works.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double-D
posted Hide Post
Getting past the infantile BS above. The question was based on 5-15 elephant hunts. I picked the Lott as some others did only because a large double cartridge was not listed. I would prefer to use my .500 if it was just a elephant hunt. How sum ever I will be taking my Lott hunting elephant in October just because it is new an I need to get some blood on it. I had it built as a compromise Buffalo Elephant rifle as some times Buffalo get shot a little far for the double. I may take some other plains game with it as well. But "no compromise" I dont think anything is better than a big double for Elephant.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
Would prefer a double but from this list 458WM. Always ammo and it works.

I agree 100% on the Double. My measly 3 elephant have all been taken with a 500 NE.

But if constrained to bolt guns per his list, I disagree on the 458WM instead of the Lott, especially from the ammo availability angle. Reason being that 458WM ammo can be fired from the Lott. That being said, why go with the WM for any of the reasons given in this thread? The Lott obviously has more capability and if you can't handle the extra recoil just load the Lott down or shoot WM rounds. If you loose your ammo and can only find WM rounds, just shoot the WM ammo. I think the Lott will have a higher resale value. I've owned and sold 2 458 Win Mags. Basically got nothing for them upon the sale because "It would be worth more if it was a Lott!"

I'm sure someone will chime in with the WM fits in a standard length action so can be built in a lighter rifle. Really? Is that what you want, a light weight Elephant Rifle? And how much lighter does the standard length action get you when we are talking about rifles of this recoil level? As far as the standard action being made in a less expensive rifle argument; Really? We ARE talking about hunting 5 to 15 Elephant!! Right?