THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hornady's 300 grain solid/270 gr soft point in 375 Ruger

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady's 300 grain solid/270 gr soft point in 375 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I wanted a bullet for 99% PG, but that (purely if I do something stupid) would hold together on DG, would the 270 gr. SP work? (My guess is they might not, but are probably great on elk, antelope, etc. I'm going to use them on whitetail and Axis this fall.)
Try to find someone to load up some Barnes X bullets in them? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a custom ammo maker?

Keep some spare 300 gr solids? Something else entirely (aside from changing caliber, I'm quite fond of my little Ruger Alaskan)?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I suggested Superior Ammo for custom loading in your previous thread. Personally, with great soft points with excellent reputations like A-Frames and North Forks available, I would not use the Hornadys in Africa.

To be fair, the last Hornady's I used were interlocks and they worked fine on whitetail. Lots of inexpensive soft points will work well on deer-sized game out of a .375, even the relatively inexpensive .375H&H Core-Lockt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal sells a 300 grain triple shock that should do the trick

Posts: 43 | Location: PW County, VA | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did not read the post right, I thoght you meant the H&H round, sorry

Posts: 43 | Location: PW County, VA | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I just used the 270 grain Hornady softpoint on several head of plains game in Namibia back in June. It didn't exit out of the zebra or gemsbok, but put everything down quickly. If it was just plains game I would use it again in a heartbeat. For dg I would pick another bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I load Hornady 300 grain BTSP and 300 grain FMJ bullets in my 375 H&H Magnum. They both shoot very well and hit in pretty much the same place at 100 yards.

If you're going to shoot both softs & solids, I would recommend the same weight bullets of each type.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks. The two bullets I mentioned are the only factory loaded 375 Ruger rounds available... or at least, the only ones I know of. I'll get in touch w. superior ammo, thank you.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I may have been too negative, but for Africa I prefer to spend a little more on bullets and ammunition and if you think thick-skinned dangerous game is a possibility that would make it more important to me.

Superior Ammo is not cheap but they have been very helpful to me and very flexible as to what bullets you want loaded.

A real test for the .375 Ruger will be if others, such as Federal, start offering the loaded ammunition. I hope they do, especially in the Federal Premium line, as the rifles seem to be getting some good review.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Definately, a barnes 300TSX will take out brain and give great penetration.. If a petal or petals break off you still have a destructive bullet present..

But don't forget the North Fork cup points they are very very destructive...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed there is no such thing as 300 grs. of bullet failure on plainsgame! Smiler If it comes apart, its a virtual bomb..I really like the 285 gr. Northfork for plainsgame, it always works for me..Even the flat nose solids have worked surprisingly well in the big bores.

Retrever is absolutly right, the Northfork cup points work great on everything, I have kept camp fed on those bullets and never a complaint.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote