THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zimbabwe: Safari Operators Record 20 Percent Slump

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe: Safari Operators Record 20 Percent Slump
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201503061493.html

Zimbabwe: Safari Operators Record 20 Percent Slump

By Kudzai Kuwaza

SAFARI operators recorded an estimated 20% drop in revenue last year due to the ivory ban by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and the outbreak of the Ebola virus, businessdigest has learnt.

In April last year, the USFWS announced a suspension on imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies taken in Tanzania and Zimbabwe during the calendar year of 2014.

"In Zimbabwe, available data, though limited, indicate a significant decline in the elephant population. Anecdotal evidence, such as the widely publicised poisoning last year(2013) of 300 elephants in Hwange National Park, suggests that Zimbabwe's elephants are also under siege," the organisation said.

"Given the current situation on the ground in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe, the Service is unable to make positive findings required under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Cites) and the Endangered Species Act to allow import of elephant trophies from these countries."

The Ebola virus broke out last year in Africa killing thousands particularly in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia and sparked fears that the outbreak would spread to other countries on the continent.

Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe chairman Emmanuel Fundira told businessdigest this week that an estimated 20% of revenue was lost in 2014.

"We have been hit by the Ebola outbreak and the ivory ban and it is difficult to put a number on it," Fundira said. "The projection is about a 20% downturn which is substantial. The impact has been quite severe."

Fundira said the association continues to lobby against the ivory ban, saying the feedback they received has been "extremely positive" but not to the point where they would want as an association.

"We have not moved away from the table. We continue lobbying," he said.

He pointed out that although the association has been looking for alternative markets, it would take from one to three years to realise substantive benefits from these source markets.

The ban has affected the livelihood of 800 000 families under the Communal Areas Management Programme for Indigenous Resources, a community-based natural resource management programme in which Rural District councils, on behalf of communities on communal land, are granted the authority to market access to wildlife in their district to safari operators.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Gov just needs to increase fees.

See? That was easy.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It's the same here in US
FWP of every state has those tendencies. If they run short, they raise fees instead of trimming some fat
Zim really got hit hard by their own increased fees and USFWA sheer stupidity.
Do these people ever learn?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Zim operators have been hurt financially and not just a little. We need to support the good Zim operators is we want to continue to have it as a hunt location.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The Zim operators have been hurt financially and not just a little. We need to support the good Zim operators is we want to continue to have it as a hunt location.

+1

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+2

Uncle Bob and his cronies - not much else needs to be said.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will do!! In two weeks Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely true!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

+2

Uncle Bob and his cronies - not much else needs to be said.

Mike

Nah, Bob will blame it all on the white safari operators; will call it "premeditated economic sabotage" on their part and substantiate the reason for his earlier announcement related to taking over the white-owned concessions. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly! Import or no import we need suport them! Zim Tuskless & PG for me in October!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryshores:The Zim operators have been hurt financially and not just a little. We need to support the good Zim operators is we want to continue to have it as a hunt location.

+ME !!

Posts: 741 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No mention of price increases hurting the industry. The article is true that ebola and import bans have hurt hunting but it also shows that they still don't get it that the price increases have hurt it also.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure ALL the things mentioned have had a negative impact on ALL hunting in Africa. Seems to me the insane increase in the cost of hunting most places in Africa over the past few years is the leading cause of dwindling participation. Most places are now way out of my participation range and only see them going higher. Less participation will mean outfitters will try and make up the difference by increasing fees even more. This will continue until some sort of collapse occurs and the whole industry will start from scratch. On top of this Africa isn't really the most stable and productive environment to do business in these days.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim could get a boost by dropping the more expensive US dollar and going to the Rand.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote