SCI report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The one I absolutely could not get in is Michael's Gourmet Room. One of the best restaurants I have been anywhere in the world.
Maybe you have to book now!!! Big Grin

Sure it was busy on the weekend but every weekend in Vegas seems busy to me. Didn't impact the convention - just Larry's dinner plans.

I am willing to bet that I have been to Vegas over 200 times. Super Bowl weekend is extremely crowded . Much more so than most weekends.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never been to Las Vegas. And that is far too often for my tastes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The union crap has to stop.

I know the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center is run by the city, but these thugs must be stopped.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

I know the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center is run by the city, but these thugs must be stopped.
They dont seem to be a problem at the Mandalay Bay - on the contrary they are pretty easy to deal with. But that could be money talking (SCI's)

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, when the convention was in the Las Vegas Hilton, I had a box of things I had bought. The union guys tried to take it while telling me I could not carry that box. That did not end up too well for them.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth. I talked to Larry Higgins this weekend and he said attendance was on par with last year. I did not ask what that number was. He also said the crowd seemed smaller because of the added space.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They dont seem to be a problem at the Mandalay Bay - on the contrary they are pretty easy to deal with. But that could be money talking (SCI's)

The behavior was much more subdued this year, than in the past, it appeared to me-- no demanding you not move your own displays or threatening to confiscate your vacuum from you while cleaning your booths carpet-

BTW, a Freeman floor "boss" said they were underbid on the contract for next year by GES- "

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear crbutler
I do not see where I was disengenous at all. The system at SCI you described works exactly as you explained. I have donated both years of hunts , as well as cash to retain our booth selection place. Where did I say otherwise. As i DID STATE. I have been a long and constant supporter of the SCI Convention. My booth position proves that.
Was just confused by your statement.
Regards
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, the disingenuous comment was due to my perception that you seem to be implying that you have to donate hunts in order to exhibit at SCI. You don't, unless you can't afford to pay full cash price for whatever...which you just admitted is the case.

You have donated. You admit that you don't have to.

You are in the top group...to be honest, I have kind of wondered why you do that given your quite negative expressed opinions of SCI and the show. It must have SOME positives for you and your partners to continue investing in it.

While I agree that it needs some work, and I am not an unabashed supporter of SCI, I personally think the SCI show is the best of the lot for me as a purchasing hunter.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
quote:
quote:

The behavior was much more subdued this year, than in the past, it appeared to me-- no demanding you not move your own displays or threatening to confiscate your vacuum from you while cleaning your booths carpet-

BTW, a Freeman floor "boss" said they were underbid on the contract for next year by GES- "
I have never seen any of this. I drive my own items right to my booth in a truck and out again the same. I understand why they strictly control movements through the loading docks - it can be a very busy, dangerous place.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Same here. We set up and tear down ourselves with no hassles at all. If on the other hand you have contracted with Freeman to assist it is hands off.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear CR
The last couple of years I have simply paid cash.So I have experience with both methods of entry to SCI. I have booked many, many safaris at SCI over the years, have never said otherwise. I SIMPLY, made a comment that I perceived attendance to be down this year. That is all, but damn if it did not stir up a storm. Others have said the same thing. But, perhaps it shattered all previous convention numbers and drew the same folks as watched the the Super Bowl, who knows, SCI is usually very difficult to get numbers out of.I will be taking the 'cash only' route from now on at SCI, cheaper and I am not competing with myself.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Matt,

Same here. We set up and tear down ourselves with no hassles at all. If on the other hand you have contracted with Freeman to assist it is hands off.

Mark
Ahhhhh - now I see. Bugger that.. I don't even get them to do the carpet. But the guys who help bring the trucks in and out are always very helpful.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have never seen any of this. I drive my own items right to my booth in a truck and out again the same. I understand why they strictly control movements through the loading docks - it can be a very busy, dangerous place.

Freeman was never contracted for the booths I have assisted with-

I am happy you have never had"issues" with the union guys-

frankly the first time it happened I thought it was a joke- who would not allow you to vacuum your carpet or move your own furniture around inside your own booth-

when he unplugged the vacuum --
well let's just say,as did Mr Shores say-- it did not go well- for him

and as I said--
none of that this year--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

frankly the first time it happened I thought it was a joke- who would not allow you to vacuum your carpet or move your own furniture around inside your own booth-

and as I said--
none of that this year--
Someone was having a lend of you. This as my 12th consecutive SCI convention and I have never heard or seen anything like that. Perhaps standover people don't mess with Aussies?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

and as I said--
none of that this year--
Someone was having a lend of you. This as my 12th consecutive SCI convention and I have never heard or seen anything like that. Perhaps standover people don't mess with Aussies?

"having a lend of you"
"An Australian term meaning to be lying to a person for one's own amusement."

And just exactly Mr. Graham--
who would that liar be-

Me?
Larry Shores?

I am happy you have never been harassed by the union thugs-

It has happened in the past to me,on more than one occasion-
and apparently also Larry Shores, whom I do not know, on at least one occasion-
and others that I do know-

Defending SCI is one thing, impugning me is altogether a different issue-

("dispute the truth, validity, or honesty of (a statement or motive); call into question."--
Just in case it does not translate into Aussie well.)

You Sir
owe me an apology
and as best I can tell,
one to Mr. Shores as well

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you a little sensitive Sir? rotflmo Of course, obviously, I meant the Union person was lying to you (for his own amusement or profit?) - that he had some business in what you did in your booth.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you a little sensitive Sir? rotflmo Of course, obviously, I meant the Union person was lying to you (for his own amusement or profit?) - that he had some business in what you did in your booth.

No Sir-
I understood that clearly--
They ( the union members) were not joking-
the vacuum incident went " up the chain" so to speak- it was not the first guy that told me to quit that unplugged the vacuum-- his" supervisor" was summoned to unplug the machine-

Hence- my understanding of your post is:
Mr. Shores and I are both writing false statements--
in Texas we call that a lie-

you still owe the apology-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you glove-slap a union official? Whistling

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, just involved the off duty police, that were on site-
as the man was threatening to remove property not belonging to him--
-
any more "cute" replies to avoid
manning up and apologize

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be clear , my incident did not involve a booth as I am not in the business. Mine involved a box of things I had purchased for our own use . This was probably 20 years ago more or less. It was also at a different venue , the Vegas Hilton. Mandalay didn't even exist then.

I am quite sure that they mistook me for an exhibitor. When I went off on them they backed off quickly . I threatened to press charges for grand theft and assault. It took less than a second to see that "oh shit" look in their eye. Incident over.

There was a minor physical altercation. They tried to take my things. I physically resisted.

Fortunately for me, a police office was near by. That got their attention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

-
manning up and apologize
Seriously - grow up. I wasn't calling you or Larry a liar. Anyone can surely see that?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
To be clear , my incident did not involve a booth as I am not in the business. Mine involved a box of things I had purchased for our own use . This was probably 20 years ago more or less. It was also at a different venue , the Vegas Hilton. Mandalay didn't even exist then.

I am quite sure that they mistook me for an exhibitor. When I went off on them they backed off quickly . I threatened to press charges for grand theft and assault. It took less than a second to see that "oh shit" look in their eye. Incident over.

There was a minor physical altercation. They tried to take my things. I physically resisted.

Fortunately for me, a police office was near by. That got their attention.
Nasty business ... but Larry that was like .... last century mate!! Big Grin Wink

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it Matt.

And was definitely last century! Don't remind me how old I am . rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

-
manning up and apologize
Seriously - grow up. I wasn't calling you or Larry a liar. Anyone can surely see that?

My old eyes see you exactly for what you are-

a young mouthy troublemaker always spoiling for a fight to defend SCI-
without respect to accuracy or consideration of the truth-

a child -
not man enough to apologize for impugning a man

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once read an article about how some huge percentages of text and e mails are interpreted incorrectly.

I think it is dangerous to make jokes with people you don't know who are from other countries. The risk of interpreting incorrectly is high.

I have seen this type of thing on AR many times.

I can see where both are coming from.