New
Find
Notify
Tools

DRAW OF AFRICA!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since my 1st safari, I have only gone 7 months without having another 1 booked or in the planning stages.
IT WAS A VERY LONG 7 MONTHS.
What is it that captivates a human being to cause this draw?
Thankfully, my non-hunting wife suffers from the same disease.
In 6 more months I will again be where I desire to be, but then we have a trip to New Zealand planned for our next big adventure. Then I will be back to not having a safari in the works. Dread is already coming over me at the thought of not planning & preparing for another safari.
Dang it! Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of so good looking! Why didn't I make better decissions on career choices earlier in life?
The upside is that my wife & I are seeking other ways of making money so we can go more often.
I live a blessed life & am definetly not looking for sympathy, just wondering what it is that gets so deep into a mans soul to cause this phenomenon?
I guess maybe I should have titled this "The Rantings Of A Crazy Man".

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Boy, do I ever know that feeling. After going on 3 lengthy safaris in the 1980s, I went 20 years before going on my 4th. Kids, work, and lot of other stuff got in the way, and even though it bothered me about not going, there were always other hunts to go on.

After finally going again in 2009, and spending the first 4 or 5 days constantly asking myself why I'd let all those years slide away without getting back to Africa, I vowed to never let it happen again.

Lots of changes later, including a divorce, new job, other things, I'm back on track to get to Africa. Roy and Rene Vincent just left from visiting, to head to SCI; and Roy walked out with the details of what I want to book for my son and I. We'll get back to it with a 10 day buffalo hunt with Alan Vincent, dates to be worked out, but shooting for about 16 months from now. Let the planning begin!

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The kindred spirit in us draws us all back to a world where we can, or should be able to, forget the common everyday issues and just HUNT. I love taking my rifle for a long walk. It's not the thrill of the kill but, the exhilaration of the chase. Tracking, sneaking, testing the wind and making a plan. If that doesn't work out, there's always a sundowner in camp that needs to be drank. Trying the different meats, hearing the different sounds, smelling the mopane smoke, which has a different aroma that just about anything.......
I haven't started counting the days yet but on May 28th, I get to go for my 6th safari. Already getting anxious......

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is addicting, for sure.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Went on two Safaris inside of seven months in 2001 and 2002. Around 2004 I got the chance to move here and leapt at it. Been here ever since and still can't fully explain the attraction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 1st trip, when the plane touched the ground, I said, "Honey, I'm Home".
Man, do I ever miss her when I'm not there.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
I have yet to go, but the draw has reached me from truly across this world. I have read every single pieces of paper I can find. I have watched Out of Africa, Ghost in the Darkness and what ever else I can find that the wife just rolls her eyes. I can understand your "addiction". Brother I am feeling like you are.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what you're all talking about. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, take a look at your checkbook...that'll be a reminder :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ceceil,

She has my heart also.

Mike

My 60th birthday present, my daughter convinced me.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Jim, take a look at your checkbook...that'll be a reminder :-)

Very funny! dancing

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Cecil,

She has my heart. This say's it all!

My daughter convinced her Dad on his 60th birthday. Tanzania

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
It has been many years but I remember reading an article by an anthropologist about genetic memory. The author went on to say we seemed to feel most comfortable when at home. Is there some genetic link calling us back to our origins?

I most certainly look forward to my next hunt, but is there something more. Just a thought. Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I am so addicted it is pathetic. I think about it morning, noon and night. I cannot get back fast enough. I was planning my next trip before I even left the last time. I leave for SCI in a couple of hours and cannot wait to get there.

The African outfitters, taxidermy, etc. Cannot get enough.

From the animals, to the culture, the people, it is all amazing.

To me there is not a prettier place in the world than Northern British Columbia but not a place I would rather be than Africa.

Justin

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
The kindred spirit in us draws us all back to a world where we can, or should be able to, forget the common everyday issues and just HUNT. I love taking my rifle for a long walk. It's not the thrill of the kill but, the exhilaration of the chase. Tracking, sneaking, testing the wind and making a plan. If that doesn't work out, there's always a sundowner in camp that needs to be drank. Trying the different meats, hearing the different sounds, smelling the mopane smoke, which has a different aroma that just about anything.......

Outstanding Pagosa! Just outstanding.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I am heading back for my 3rd trip, I had a choice this time and my dilemma was I could take my first dangerous game hunt or I could spend the same money and take my 2 best friends to africa so they can enjoy what should be their only chance of making it to Africa. I have decided to wait on the dangerous game and share Africa with my friends who I know will enjoy the sights, smell and taste of what should be their hunt of a lifetime and great memories we can share for a lifetime. The Cape buffalo will have to wait. (For now)

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good call Brian.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was going to go one time. solely for the experience. that was 1988 and 19 trips ago. god only knows how much money. i still love it.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Brian, you are a good man. Africa cannot be explained to people. I get asked what is the draw and why am I consumed. I tell most people; I cannot explain it. You just have to do it.

I cannot wait to get back; it won't be soon enough. Everything else pales in comparison anymore.

Justin

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I did explain the whole flight back thing (you know trying to fiqure out what you have to do or sell to get back) and they are fully aware that this might cost them more in the long run.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote,

Brian, you are a good man. Africa cannot be explained to people. I get asked what is the draw and why am I consumed. I tell most people; I cannot explain it. You just have to do it.

I can say the same for travel in general. Folks just don't understand.

Right now I am back "home" in Reno waiting for 10:00 tomorrow for the SCI Convention to open the doors.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be on my 8th safari this summer in Moz. I can not sleep at night thinking about it. I can not even just have an upcoming safari, but need to have another planned out the following year just to retain mental stability. I have spent my whole life being responsible. Getting good grades, going to college, rearing a family, creating good values and paying for college, etc. Africa was so far away from my comfort zone, it just felt so reckless, irresponsible and selfish. I think that's why I so love it. It keeps me balanced.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
It is addicting, for sure.

Yes it is!!!

I think of Africa every single day and have to come to this site to get my "fix".

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to go back so bad it hurts.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I will be planning my 5th trip soon 2014..West Africa or Elephant, buffalo....we will see...My goal 6 safaris before 40.... Cool

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
I will be planning my 5th trip soon 2014..West Africa or Elephant, buffalo....we will see...My goal 6 safaris before 40.... Cool

Ed

I'm so sorry for this....but i hate you! lol

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
for the last 12 years my brother in law( age 73 ) has been patiently listening to me try to convince him to hunt Africa. he is an avid shotgunner and has hunted caribou with me in Alaska and Canada 15 years ago( 10 safaris ago, before I discovered Africa). last summer i finally convinced him to take his son and 2 grandsons on a 4 animal package plains game hunt in RSA ( Africa Lite as Mark Y calls it). since he arranged it, he and his kids have been going nuts with the planning- buying shooting sticks to practice with, buying " The Perfect Shot" and reading it repeatedly, deciding on other animals to add to each of the 4 guys basic package, reading this forum, buying clothes, calling me for advice incessently-well, you get the picture! i talked to him Sunday and he wanted advice on where to go next year- for cape buffalo.. bear in mind, he hasn't even been the first time and he wants to plan the next trip for 2014. i warned him the bug would bite him( and his kids) and that this would happen. luckily he didn't listen and now he bitches i didn't talk him into going sooner in life. better late than never, though. this is just what Africa does to a man's soul

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Its odd that you brought this up.

I was driving down the highway yesterday and dreaming of africa. Why i dont know. I have several mountain hunts planned over the next 3-5 years and wont be back for quite awhile.
I even called my brother and asked him if he had been chased by any elephants lately. I cant explain it.
Maybe its something in the air.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Brian! I am planning to take my nephew to Africa when he graduates college next year. He has hunted quite a bit, but he does not know what Africa will do to him. Another convert I suspect. Little does he know.....

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JTEX. I was gonna continue but then I got heartsick and homesick. Only 125 more days before I get to go back.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote