THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best Location For Crocodile Hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Location For Crocodile Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in getting a good Crocodile.

Looking in the 14ft size range.

From your hunting trips where have you had good luck.

1. Best country?
2. Outfitter used?
3. Number of days required?
4. Is baiting required and what is the best bait?
5. What is the smallest rifle size that should be used?

How hard are they to kill?
From the video's watched there is always a number of shots fired into them.

If you would like you can email information:
mark.mclean@rocketmail.com

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mar k,

You can get a 14 foot croc from almost any river in Africa.

I have shot quite a few, some in rivers in Zimbabwe, some in Lake Kariba, some in different rivers in the Selous, and some in different parts of Tanzania.

The only requirement that I see is that you put a large bait and keep an eye on it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Zambezi system, including Lakes Carbora Bassa and Kariba would be the obvious productive areas for a decent croc. The increasing opportunities in Uganda would no doubt offer impressive crocs in the future.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hav a look at previous posts with regards too Monster crocs from Cahorra Bassa

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kilombero and Ugalla eco-systems in Tanzania consistently produce 14+ ft crocs average every season. And with a 14 day permit, this hunt gives you a whole lot of other species to hunt including multiple buff....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2nd for Kilombero Selous

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
2nd for Kilombero Selous

Boma Ulanga on the Kilombero produces exceptionally good ones in constant numbers.
Upper Kilombero has some nice crocs as well but wary of baits as a result of poaching.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Believe that Ganyana has taken some real monsters in the Zambesi delta in Mocambique.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Zambia in the Kafue.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Spiral Horn Safaris
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Sable Safaris Zambia.

Number of day’s: ?

You can speak to owner Peter Bothma but I think you will have to hunt the croc over bait.

There are some video’s on his web site:
www.sablesafariszambia.com

All the best of luck!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have hunted crocs in both the Zambezi delta and along Lake Cahorra Basa over bait with no luck- but still managed to kill a 14 and 15 footer in those areas by spot and stalk. both hunt reports are posted here. both hunts gave me a PROFOUND RESPECT for what an under rated trophy a large croc is.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
kilombero and Ugalla eco-systems in Tanzania consistently produce 14+ ft crocs average every season. And with a 14 day permit, this hunt gives you a whole lot of other species to hunt including multiple buff....
having hunted along the Kilombero River, I fully agree with your sentiments. the unfortunate part is that for what a 14 day hunt in Tz. costs, you can kill at least 2-3 equally large crocs in other places and throw in a few other animals as well. unfortunate but true.
taken on Cahorra Bassa with Kwan Safaris, who posted above- literally 1/4 the price of a Tz. hunt

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very impressive trophy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'll agree that is sure a respectable croc!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral Horn Safaris:
I would recommend Sable Safaris Zambia.

Number of day’s: ?

You can speak to owner Peter Bothma but I think you will have to hunt the croc over bait.

There are some video’s on his web site:
www.sablesafariszambia.com

All the best of luck!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Disagree and would like to see evidence of 14 foot plus crocs taken here?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Couple of 14 foot plus taken in the Kafue last season.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fairgame

Go look on their web site if you have doubts about the trophy quality!

It was a recommendation you don’t have to agree it is up to Cameronuassie to decide whether he wants to take it up or not.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
OMG Eeker

those are some big lizards, i just crossed swimming trunks off the list of what to bring to zambia.

louis, fairgame hunts the south luangwa river, so i think he has an idea about what to expect in regards to size.

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Martin Pieters area "Omay North" on lake kariba has a stack of Croc along the huge lake shore and river systems. not sure on size though but being on Lake Kariba, 14ft should not be a problem.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
I would contact Matupula hunters they had the world record for a couple of years. they hunt in the zambeze over the Kariba lake and get a few bunch of nice crocs every year. Mine was 14,5 feet and was shot on spot and stalk hunt. ¡good fun! getting a 14 foot croc should not be a problem but I would book at least 7 to 10 days.
Good luck

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral Horn Safaris:
Hi Fairgame

Go look on their web site if you have doubts about the trophy quality!

It was a recommendation you don’t have to agree it is up to Cameronuassie to decide whether he wants to take it up or not.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hi Louis,

Good website. And there is one or two that would make fourteen and anything over 12 foot is very impressive. However I have hunted many of the rivers in Zambia and would recommend the Kafue, Lunga and the Zambezi before the lower Luangwa.

There are some monsters in the swamps of Bangweulu and Kafue Flats but not on license.

Really big crocs are few and far between nowadays and there are many better rivers than the Luangwa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fairgame

Well then the croc hunting in Kafue must be truly great sounds like a place defiantly worth hunting crocs for I was not fortunate enough to hunt there in my time spent in Zambia but none the less what a country loved it!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
One more vote for Cahorra Bassa, shot this lizard w/Kwan in '09

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
HOLY CRAP!!!

Something about the perspective on Crocs.....they just don't look that impressive until I see someone standing next to/under/beside them that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. They give me the creeps....and I'd love to whack a big 'un hilbily

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cahorra Bassa, shot this lizard w/Kwan

+1.

If I wanted a big crock, that's where I'd go, period. From what I've seen Kwan has the rare combination of good price, plenty of quota, and excellent results.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
One more vote for Cahorra Bassa, shot this lizard w/Kwan in '09

I shot my croc on the same hunt that Brad shot this one. they were the same length- BUT HIS WAS MISSING ABOUT 1 1/2 FEET OF HIS TAIL AND WAS SO OLD THAT HALF HIS TEETH WERE MISSING. gives you some idea of the trophy quality there!!!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
plus his had some bones in his stomach that looked definitely human( i should know- i am a doctor!!!)

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

Awesome trophy and probably a foot missing from the tail.

Thumbs up for Mozambique.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
How old was this dinosaur?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
505: That is an incredible old brute you shot. Estimated weight?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Estimated weight?

Bill, I wouldn't have a clue, maybe Walter or one of our resident PH's could give a close guess?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
having hunted along the Kilombero River, I fully agree with your sentiments. the unfortunate part is that for what a 14 day hunt in Tz. costs, you can kill at least 2-3 equally large crocs in other places and throw in a few other animals as well. unfortunate but true....

Compare apples to apples and not pineapples Wink

The TZ hunt costs more agreed but you get much more species and game on license - correct me if I'm wrong? 3 buff + 20 odd species!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Estimated weight?

It's never even occurred to me to weigh one and I don't think I know anyone who has but a quick Google claims 500lbs isn't particularly unusual:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_crocodile

http://www.seaworld.org/animal...a/nile-crocodile.htm

http://www.seaworld.org/animal...a/nile-crocodile.htm

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Shakari: Even 1,000 pounds wouldn't surprise me, especially for the brutes in these photos.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
having hunted along the Kilombero River, I fully agree with your sentiments. the unfortunate part is that for what a 14 day hunt in Tz. costs, you can kill at least 2-3 equally large crocs in other places and throw in a few other animals as well. unfortunate but true....

Compare apples to apples and not pineapples Wink

The TZ hunt costs more agreed but you get much more species and game on license - correct me if I'm wrong? 3 buff + 20 odd species!

you are right- except the question was about a croc hunt. not a $50,000 multispecies general bag hunt! if you only shot a croc on a 2 week hunt you are still looking at well over $25,000 just for the croc.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Martin Pieters area "Omay North" on lake kariba has a stack of Croc along the huge lake shore and river systems. not sure on size though but being on Lake Kariba, 14ft should not be a problem.

i agree . 2 months ago when hunting Martin's Omay North area, we saw some damn big crocs- in the lake right in front of camp! of course, dragging a big dead hippo up on the beach of the small island right off shore probably helped concentrate the buggers.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Estimated weight?

Bill, I wouldn't have a clue, maybe Walter or one of our resident PH's could give a close guess?

This croc would have been between 14 and a half feet and 15 with the end of tail?

I estimate him to be to be 1,000 lbs, maybe more. Note the Lion you shot last year in Zim was 500 lbs.

Croc like this would have see David Livingston paddling by.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
fairgame,
All we could think to do was take Jerry's croc (of similar size) and measure fron the same scale (#4 from the fork) to the end of it's tail. We came out to almost exactly 2 feet of missing tail, my croc measured 13'3" existing, so your estimate is very close, we'll just call him 15' for stories sake. Wink I don't have a clue what he weighed but I can say I watched the winch on the cruiser struggle mightily as it pulled him out of the lake. I really wasn't looking forward to this hunt and it ended up being one of the funnest hunts I have ever been on.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
fairgame,
All we could think to do was take Jerry's croc (of similar size) and measure fron the same scale (#4 from the fork) to the end of it's tail. We came out to almost exactly 2 feet of missing tail, my croc measured 13'3" existing, so your estimate is very close, we'll just call him 15' for stories sake. Wink I don't have a clue what he weighed but I can say I watched the winch on the cruiser struggle mightily as it pulled him out of the lake. I really wasn't looking forward to this hunt and it ended up being one of the funnest hunts I have ever been on.

Hunting a big croc can be the finest of sports and glad you had fun and there are very few who have shot 15 feet.

Africa has treated you kindly.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia:
Size
Healthy mid-sized adultThe Nile crocodile is the largest crocodilian in Africa and is sometimes regarded as the second largest crocodilian after the Saltwater crocodile . The male crocodile usually measure from 11.5 to 16 feet long (3.5 to 5 meters), but very old, mature ones can grow to 18 ft (5.5 m) or more.[7] Males usually weigh about 500 lbs (225 kg),[8] but very large & old specimens can reach up to 2000 lbs (909 kg).[9] The largest accurately measured male was shot near Mwanza, Tanzania and measured 6.45 m (21.3 ft) and weighed approximately 1,090 kg (2,400 lb).[10] Like all crocodiles they are sexually dimorphic, with the males up to 30% larger than the females, though the difference is even more in some species, like the Saltwater crocodile. Mature female nile crocodiles measure 8 to 13 feet long (2.5 to 3.9 meters)[11] and typically weigh 227–300 kg (500-660 lbs).[12]