Find
Notify
Tools

458winmag or 416rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
For all you Lott Worshipers that have a magic gun I'll try to introduce a little Physics into your fanticies.

When using 500gr bullets and 9.5# rifles assuming the same stock and the same bullet the facts are.

Recoil
458Lott 2250fps 69 flbs 21 fps

458win 2150fps 63 flbs 20 fps

If you think that 8.7% increase in recoil is siginificant then you live in the same distorted reality that 500Grains does.

Dr B

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

You have the listed the Lott on the lower end and the 458 Winchester on the far upper end. How many grains of powder in each of the loads listed? This will alter your figures (which I don't think are accurate). I have two Lotts and have shot the 458 Winchester in a rifle very close to your weight listed. There is a difference.

It is true that 500Grains and myself have a distorted sense of reality. It comes from shooting the Lott several times! Eeker Big Grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To quote Finn Aagaard "the .458 will take care of any African situation you come upon". I hunted with Finn in '73 and that was his personal choice, bar none. With the new improvements in powder and the magnum loads Hornady now offers the .458 performed well for me on Elephant and Buffalo (500gr. solids) in the Selous in '03. Coupled with a Swift A-Frame at 450 grs. shooting at similar point of aim in a Rem Custom Model 700 weighing in at 9.5 lbs.(something magic about this weight) It is not a bad shooter.
I think as others have said have your gun fitted to your physical LOP and with a good modern recoil pad you should not have a problem.
I also shoot a RUM .375 and find that neither of the two are bad bangers.

Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:

You Lott Worshipers nedd to wake up and smell the coffee, The [458win] 45-70 with modern ammunition will do anything a Lott will
Dr B

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
then you live in the same distorted reality that 500Grains does.

Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Carmelo!

Still posting crap on your website under the handle '500grains'?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also the option of getting some of both worlds.

.416 Taylor

Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Guys,

First of all i would like to thank every one who helped me to decide on which caliber to buy.
I'm so happy that i am a member of this forum and that makes me feel like a family member.
The knowledge and experience that is here in this forum is incredible. thumb
Once again thank you and God bless to all of you.

Hamdeni Smiler

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamdeni

You know I would buy the 458WM. The CZ will hold a whole handful of shells and the ammo can be had nearly everywhere. Even people that the Lott crew respects will tell you that the real difference in a 458 WM and a Lott is marginal. Phil Shoemaker just wrote an article in Rifle Magazine about it. Also I personally just got off the phone with Lon Paul and he basically said the same that loaded properly an elephant or a buffalo will not know whether he was shot with a WM or a Lott.

Personally I think the Rigby has the nostalgia thing going for it but the big rounds take up a lot of magazine space, and the ammo is incredibly expensive. Wouldn't be my choice and I have owned one.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H

So, what did you decide to get? Did you get an information overload?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby hands down. A month ago I finally received (after 3 yrs of MRC and gunsmith delays) my 458 Lott. If I could have found a left handed CRF action (priced reasonably) three years ago, it would have been the Rigby.

I chose the Lott for these reasons: I can download to 458 WM ballistics if I don't want the recoil. I can shoot 458 WM (one of if not THE most common DG round in Africa). I can seat various bullets in or out depending on needed powder volume. Five rounds down, one up the snoot (Brockman Rifles modification).

I shot a 450 Dakota and 416 Rigby at Dakota rifles three years ago. The Rigby was A LOT more controlable in my relatively small frame.

Get the Rigby, nostalgia, ample powder volume for low press and high velocity, plenty of power, less recoil... oh did I say nostalgia.

Safe Hunting
Clint

Posts: 28 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 07 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is to stick with the biggest gun you can shoot well. I personally like the 40's. I use a .416 Rigby and a 450/400 3". The 450/400 is a real sweetheart.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Not to rain on any parade, but a 375 is not a 416 or 458! Smiler

I have not seen any 416 or 458 kill anything deader than a 375 either clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Hi Carmelo!

Still posting crap on your website under the handle '500grains'?

Hey retard... go find someone else to attempt to annoy.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your looking at a CZ 550 in 458 Win or 458 Lott it seems to make sense to get the Lott. With it you have both a 458 Win and a Lott. If you can handle the Lott use it. If you get the Win your stuck with it unless you have it rechambered.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
465H&H
I agree if you have a choice of a Lott or a Win. mag for the same price there is no reason not to by the Lott.
What I dissagree with is the Lott whorshipers that think there is something magical with the 100fps increase in velocity that the Lott gives, and that any body that hunts with the 458 Win is stupid.
They also belive that 6-10 ftlbs increase in recoil makes a difference.
The prime example of this magical thinking are the posts of the one and only know-it-all slef proclaimed expert 500grains Who you should certanly take any thing he sayes with 500grains of salt.

Dr B

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
This is easy! Whichever one you can keep 3 shots on a paper plate OFFHAND at 30yrds. If you can't pass the drill, neither gun is for you! Either will do for anything that currently walks this earth. Don't believe the hype of those who naysay the .458 win. Lets see exactly how much experience they ACTUALLY have on DG. As for the Lott, I'd much rather have 100fps less and hit the vitals ather than a real powerfull gut shot.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Nice to have you back ALF!

Talking about the .458 Win Mag-
Has anybody here heard about "The Winchester Safari" which took place in Tanzania some year before or in connection with the introduction of the .458 WinMag? The safari should have been filmed.

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thank you again.
I have finally decided on the 458winmag because of the availability of bullets in TZ.

Hamdeni thumb

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about a 416 is that you can use it just like you would a 375 for longer range shots.

It is a one rifle battery.

200 yards they do just fine and that is a long ways for most shooters!

George Hoffman before he passed away recommended to me to keep my 8 1/2 pound 416 Remington/Dakota and take my old Remington 870 to Africa w me. Handle everything.

He liked the 1.5 x 5 Luepold.

Id get the 416 even thought I like 450 grain bullets in 458.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby is a great caliber and I would prefer it over a 458 probably other than its got that huge bulky, heavy action and makes up into a large rifle....I like small trim sleek rifles so I chose the 416 Rem and 404 on std. actions...So to answer your question I would opt for the .458 Win as it could be had in a lighter, trimmer gun, and I would hand load it or actually I would chamber it out to the Lott as suggested and load it at about 2250 FPS with a 500 gr. bullet...

A 400 gr. bullet is not the way to go with any .458 for use on Buffalo, you want all the bullet weight you can get with any caliber you use..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote