New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with the short-shorts guys?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's one thing to wear shorts in the bush, but what's up with all the hot pants I saw all the PHs wearing in Zimbabwe? THEY ARE POSITIVLY INDECENT!

Now, I know that with all the recent upheavals in the country, women (at least white ones) are hard to find, but come on, has the whole profession gone bent?

(Notice I'm expressing this opinion from the safety of my home 9,000 miles from Zimbabwe. I kept these thoughts to myself while there. Mama didn't raise no fool!) roflmao

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Unlike the shorts - it goes back a loooong way. WinkEver since the days of the Rhodesian Selous Scouts & other special forces they have been famous for their "nippy" shorts........ but I'm not sure I'd suggest those guys bat for the other side - even from 9000 miles away. jump

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hey Alf,

Yup, you're right - I'm a damn immigrant! - I did wonder if it went back further but that's as far back as I personally remember.....but I'm only a kid!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
GA Hunter,

I haven't been to Africa yet, but it's a whole lot easier to run with a short inseam. Five inch, Patagonia Stand-Up shorts. Pitty, they don't make them in the real heavy duck any more.

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,

Better be careful or you'll get some boys upset with you that are a lot closer than 9,000 miles away . . . Big Grin

Short-Shorts

To my eyes, a grown man, myself included, wearing any type of knee-pants tends to look like a goofy, overgrown schoolboy, unless he's playing a sport. Red Face

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I always figured it had something to do with Rugby.

Much like baseball hats became mainstream in NA, I assumed the same must have happened with Rugby shorts in Africa.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
Its a satement thing, like the beret all our military wear. It says "yes i walk through thorns with these nips and it doesnt hurt,the bleeding is just for effect." I wear long pants and long sleves that states " yes i dont want to bleed all day long because i am saving my blood for the mosqutios and ticks. Razzer Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, shorts are it because when thorns rip your skin it makes no noise unlike "longs."

On the other hand, not sure about this trend towards speedo wearing in the bush... Roll Eyes
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look better than the lowrider shorts you see the punky skateboarders wearing. Now if you really want to be a homeboy then turn your hat sideways.

one of us
posted Hide Post
some of the shorts i saw the ph's wear were rediculely short... if i tryed that, id get my dick caught on a branch.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago in Oman I informed a few blokes that only Farrah Fawcett and Fags wore their pants that short.
Everyone present ended up with sore fists and swollen faces. The issue was not resolved on that deployment and I have never broached the subject since.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I have hunted in Zim 5 times. I have never bothered to notice Roll Eyes

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted Hide Post
And then I'm thinking you're gonna make more noise than any pair of shorts.
We call em Stubbies in Australia, proper attire from Weddings,Funerals and BBQ's.

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
My Mom let me quit wearing short pants when I was 5. I've never returned.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys. This is my first post. I'm wearing a pair of shorts purchased at Banana Republic in Charleston, SC for a 1989 trip to Botswana and Zim. Oddly enough they were mfg in Zim, 2-1/4" inseam! It's like watching reruns of "Magnum PI", they just look a little strange now.

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Those shorts you are talking about are not "short-shorts" they are normal length. Most Southern Australian guys played Australian Rules Football at some time in school or since and Aussie Rules Football shorts are quite a bit shorter. And played in cold and wet winters. The full length cricket whites, trousers etc is reserved for hot summers!

These short normal length shorts have ALWAYS been in style in Australia until recently when the ghetto look arrived. These damn aweful long shorts around the knees. Why not just wear long trousers or even better a skirt?! The knee length shorts probably go well with a baseball hat turned backwards though. Eeker

Now a real guy has no choice unless he gets them modified.

Now if these longer shorts have always been "in-vogue" perhaps it is a hemisphere thing, as our cousins in Africa have always had a similar sense of style.

I think the longer ones quite defeat the purpose of shorts which is a cooler garment and more freedom of movement.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Originally posted by wannago:
Hi guys. This is my first post. I'm wearing a pair of shorts purchased at Banana Republic in Charleston, SC for a 1989 trip to Botswana and Zim. Oddly enough they were mfg in Zim, 2-1/4" inseam! It's like watching reruns of "Magnum PI", they just look a little strange now.[/QUOTE]

Too much information (especially for a first post) 2 1/4 "..that is wrong! eek2

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Talking about those shorts ...

Some of us Rhodesian kids in the OLD bush war days, talk about inside leg measurement !!!

Childern will be children even when they go to WAR ....

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wannago:
Hi guys. This is my first post. I'm wearing a pair of shorts purchased at Banana Republic in Charleston, SC for a 1989 trip to Botswana and Zim. Oddly enough they were mfg in Zim, 2-1/4" inseam! It's like watching reruns of "Magnum PI", they just look a little strange now.

Welcome to the board wannago. wave
Topics here can run all over as you can see.

BUT RUNNING WITH SHORT-SHORTS IS FASTER!

Unless your Jefferrosso who wears a kilt on safari. jump

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
We are currently making up our new brochure for this next year and all I can say is THANK GOODNESS for PhotoShop and Adobe Illustrator and computer art programs such as that.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Peter

So which fellow are you?

One is ready and prepared with his helmet on!

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet those 3 FN-Fals are worth more now then a new Searcy double!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all you uneducated and for those native Africans of little knowledge, the nippys or boxers were worn to prevent "jock itch" and rash caused in hot, humid climates by the longer varity...I suppose that was before the advent of Jensen Violet the cures such horrors as Jock Itch with one application, that by the way will set your arse on fire!! I have seen many a shower, toilet and towell hanger ripped from its moorings!! sofa jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I spit coffee into the keyboard!! On point but off topic, my family suffers from chronic hemorhoids & my sister "told me" that DMSO worked on them.. so one early morning as I was riding by the animal hospital, suffering from butt hangout, I dismounted, dropped leggings & trou, gathered a handful of liquid from a DMSO bottle and slapped it home.... my father had mixed up a batch of alcohol & iodine in that particular jug... I made about 3 giant lunges forward before my spurs twisted up in the leggings around my ankle, throwing me to the ground where I lay squalling like a mashed cat!
It did indeed draw the poison out of the roids!! But I wouldn't suggest it as a cure.
After my sister picked herself up off the floor from laughing at me she said" You didn't really believe me about the DMSO did you?"
Ain't siblings great!!

Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote