Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Shorts
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

In an effort to maintain my reputation as the fashion trend setter for the sartorial safari, the Versace of the veld, the Dolce & Gabanna of dangerous game, I present you with my latest must-have in safari attire. Sadly more prêt-à-porter than haute couture, but a bold and functional addition to any hunter's wardrobe.

Cabelas Trail Shorts

The Dark Khaki (more of an Olive, the pic on the website is not true to color) and the Field Khaki are perfect for Africa.

If you are someone like me who likes shorter inseam shorts you'll like the 5" inseam. They also are available in 9" inseam. Very strong and durable fabric. Deep front and rear pockets.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry: You are always so helpful on things safari...(and I mean that)...this is another example...the Versace of the veld and the Dolce & Gabanna of dangerous game...yes, you do have a way with expressing a good thought if not a proper critique of hunting attire...Dark Khaki..hemm. I would have to go back to my anthropological linguistic notes to refresh myself on the proper phonetics of khaki..good work though on spotting this fashion trend..also, who would have thought the British had their own tan.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Anybody that wears cargo shorts is a dork. Cool

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I didn't understand all them foreign words in your post Terry, but I figgured from the pictue you are now selling shorts?
I don't wear shorts, don't want to ruin my Alaskan tan you know.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
T Carr

So glad to see someone ( with a brain in their head ) has made the shorter inner leg shorts ...

For all those uninformed foreigners ( please dont take offence ) WE MALES of the species in Africa over the years ALWAYS had short shorts as our national dress whether to college, to work, or in the bush or on the rugby field ...

These longer leg shorts are some foreign or communisist invention IMHO to hide the legs of the African Man ...

I hate to see the new age metrosectial bullshit take over from the REAL MAN of the past.

Remember when we old bastards grew up men were men and WOMEN appreciated us ...

Now man is only half man as he is controlled by the woman in most respects ... SHAME on your modern generation MALES for buckling to the new age PC bull..it ,, Dont say I have not warned you, you will live to regret it as the women is now definately on top !!!

That should really put the cat among the pidgeons and help to break up the marriage bawling

OLD RHODESIAN Bastard, Peter roflmao

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got to admit that when you are all coutred up in your Versace-of-the-veld John Deere Gimmie Cap and shorts strid'n down that Jesse runway you are indeed one of "Safari's Top Models"!
roflmao roflmao roflmao

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Terry: Thanks again for your continuous support on helping us with the haute couture of safari apparel and indeed all aspects of african hunting. Now do me a favor and TELL ME what 300 to take befor I go postal! Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to butt butts with you Terry, but the Patagonia light-weight stand-up shorts with the five inch inseam are the Bomb!!!

Also, I don't need stretchy waist band yet. I still wear my lower body coverings just above the hips. I find it to inconvenient to open my fly to get belly-button lint out. roflmao

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
The Cabelas stuff is good. Tag also offers shorts for those who like to show "a little more thigh".

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RWJ, the "pukka" pronounciation of "khaki" is "CAR KEY" not "KAKI". I am surprised that Terry did not point this out!!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Terry (aka: Personal Shopper Extraordinaire) - I bought some of these w/the 5-inch "African inseam" at the local Cabelas for myself and two sons, in preparation for our trip. They were appalled to find that they didn't go down to their knees like their long cargo's do. I think I said something to the effect that "only dorks wear long cargo shorts"...which scares me! Big Grin

The Field Khaki is indeed an excellent choice, and the Dark Khaki is good too. They have a better feel then my Tag's, a bit thicker and don't roll-over around the waist like the Tags do. But, the Tag's have that cool little buffalo head metal medallion!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's trail shorts with the 5" inseam are my favorites. In fact, I'm sitting here in my office in a pair of them right now. They
are virtually the only thing I wear to the office and everywhere else for that matter for the duration of the summer.

The problem is that when I wear them and one of Cabela's safari shirts (like today) I immediately start daydreaming about being back
in Dande North with Buzz and crew on the trail of some nasty old tuskless cow.

Oh well, back to work.

Wes

Posts: 1193 | Location: Shawnee, Okla US | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

You always cut directly to the chase.

As for shorts in general I don't wear them. After 22 years in the Alaska bush my legs are so white it scares me. I can only imagine what they would do to the game.

I do appreciate Terry keep all of us abreast of what is "All The Rage" in safari gear.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Those too small shorty-shorts that Peter and his PH buddies wear always make me giggle. Thigh high scratches and scabs are not very attractive and really must hurt in aquiring them. Especially by day 2 when they are festering with infection.

Long pants for me! Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I like these shorts. I have some from Cabelas but need to get the legs shortened. I am not fond of the 'ghetto' look. I think the shorter leg shorts in Aust comes from that everyone used to wear Aussie Rules Football shorts once.

In summer I wear shorts like these almost every day. In Africa, too many thorns.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I dislike wearing shorts in Africa. Thornbush and shorts don't mix.........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The elastic in the waist isn't because you "need" it - it's to give more room in the pockets. I like these shorts.

Seeing this post about shorts with a 5" inseam reminds me of the PH Ann hunted with in SA two years ago. The shorts he wore couldn't have been longer than 2 or 3". When we saw them we knew we weren't in Kansas anymore.

Cindy

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think the charcoal (or "charbon" as we say on the Faubourg St. Honore) would be my color of choice. One advantage of short shorts is after wading accross a river or swamp they are much more comfortable since they don't drag down to your knees with the added water soaked weight. They also dry out faster.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are someone like me who likes shorter inseam shorts you'll like the 5" inseam.

i could never get away with that! jump

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seeing this post about shorts with a 5" inseam reminds me of the PH Ann hunted with in SA two years ago. The shorts he wore couldn't have been longer than 2 or 3". When we saw them we knew we weren't in Kansas anymore.

Cindy

Funny you remember that, Cindy! At least he had a nice butt. The morning I shot that impala it was so cold I thought the goose bumps on his legs were going to hang up on every thorn bush we passed. Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla,

I think the technical name for those short shorts are "nut crakers" Smiler

As to who introduced long shorts to Africa, I have to say with a certain amount of shame that it was probably us British...If you have ever seen pictures of WW2 era British squaddies in Tropical Uniforms they will all be wearing shorts that stap just above the knee Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Shades of "Lofty" in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum"

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:

AD

I would rather wear shorts,and I mostly walk and stalk.To me they are only a problem on the truck in the morning or kneeling.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like bugs crawling on my legs anymore than I like getting all scratched up. Not only that I look better with my knobby knees under wraps. I have never been able to comprehend shorts for serious outdoor wear.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
" you will live to regret it as the women is now definately on top !!!"

personally I kind of like it when the woman is on top.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
Ok so what long pants are recommended.I am going to S.A -March -06

Thanks Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Last time, I used good old blue jeans, Wranglers as Levi's donates money to Sarah Brady and Handgun Control!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

And shorts and long skinny ghost-white legs don't mix either, so I don't wear them...in Africa or at home. Smiler

Maybe Tanzania in September/October would change my mind though. Never have had to endure 100+ degree temperatures for more than a few hours a summer here.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with a few scratches?

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475/480:
Ok so what long pants are recommended.I am going to S.A -March -06

Thanks Sean

Not cheap, but very good pants for Africa LL Bean Tropic-weight Cargos lightweight (6 oz. fabric) with good African colors. Also available in Comfort Waist

I have three pair and used them in the Selous. So far, the best combination of lightweight, yet rugged material in pants that I have found. They are garment washed so they have a slightly faded and broken-in appearance.

However, March in RSA will be hot, so I would recommend shorts (and lots of bug repellent).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:

I prefer to get all cut up than to have my pants snagging on thorns. Besides, I can walk faster in shorts.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Glad to see I'm not the only person who likes their shorts above the knee a ways. Comes the first warm weather, I'm in them, and through the summer. Worn them while hunting antelope in Colorado when it was warm.
I wonder if, like grandma telling me about food, we should tell the low pants crowd that people are practically naked in the rest of the world. Would they be willing to sell the excess cloth from one of their pants to clothe two other people? Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, don't want to disagree but LL Bean mdse is NOT expensive. I bought a GorTex jacket from them and years later my wife washed it and ruined it. I contacted Bean and they said return it and we will see what we can do. Oh yea I paid $79.00 for the jacket. In the return mail they sent me a note saying they no longer carried that jacket but the one that replaced it in their line cost $174.95 and they enclosed a check for the $179.50, which I returned with my jacket size and said just send me the jacket. That is the first of several incedents like it. They are not cheap just inexpensive. Long live L L Bean as an independent family owned business.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote