THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Trophy imports to US: Importable vs. Non-importable?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy imports to US: Importable vs. Non-importable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have inquired about a few hunts, mostly in Zim., where non-trophy buffalo or elephant could be killed but not exported...

Is this a CITES issue? Or does each govt. make its own decisions? Or are other variables involved? I realize that many (most?) decisions are influenced more by politics than science, such as Namibia's bountiful cheetah population.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
I have inquired about a few hunts, mostly in Zim., where non-trophy buffalo or elephant could be killed but not exported...

Is this a CITES issue? Or does each govt. make its own decisions? Or are other variables involved? I realize that many (most?) decisions are influenced more by politics than science, such as Namibia's bountiful cheetah population.

That really depends on a variety of things such as country, species, quota, CITES quota & CITES classification etc so you need to ask a more precise question if you want an accurate answer but generally, if someone tells you that species such as buff can't be exported/imported then there could well be something wrong with what's being offered.

If Zim, (Assuming you're a US citizen) you also need to check where you'll be hunting & with whom you'll be doing business with because of the land seizure, banned list & Lacey Act issues.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
joester,

you are well advised to listen to and heed Steve's wise council.

Read and carefully consider the wisdom spoken by Steve!

I further urge you to, besides doing your own homework, to also, before you finalize your booking, just run the basic offer by this forum as a separate posting. Provide the Hunting Outfitter's name, the PH's name and exactly where and what you are offered to hunt, as well as what your chosen HO says about the export ability of the trophies. You will then get feedback from many experts active on this forum, who collectively have a few centuries' worth of experience and vast knowledge about the hunting areas, outfitters and legal requirements in many African countries.

Enjoy the planning, preparation and hunt!

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
+1 on all of the above. My impression on a lot of these Zim hunts is that (particularly on buff) it would have nothing to do with CITES but rather the Zim regs that the outfitter "bank" minimum quantitites of money to issue export permits. If a PH wanted to keep cash under the table, and could find clients not wanting to export, this would (or at least historically did) allow charging a much lower price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year I did two non-exportable ele hunts, one with the Duckworths( Mokore) and one with Jamy Traut in Namibia. I have a report on both of those hunts in the hunting report section. They are called non-trophy/ own use hunts. The size of the animal has to be under certain specs, weight or spread. The hide,horns,tusks are kept by parks, game scouts, etc. They are FANTASTIC hunts, you just can't bring anything back but memories. I have two more non-trophy hunts booked now. That's the way I go now, save money so I can go more often. Both Mokore and Jamy Traut have non-trophy ele and buf combo hunts. Mark Young can tell you more about this hunt with Makore. PM me if you have any questions.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have taken non-export/own-use/ration bull Ele in both Zim and Namibia the past two seasons. I have all the trophies at home that I need. I have my hunts video'd and take lots of pics. I prefer hunting bulls over cows.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
in Namibia they are called "own use", in Zim they are called non-exportable( or tuskless for cow elephants). they are all essentially the same. you bring nothing home- about save about 75% over the cost of an exportable animal.....best bargain going for a dangerous game hunt.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the clarifications. I already shot a nice buff that I chose to "upgrade" from a non-trophy/ non-export fee hunt and I'm glad I did. I plan to hunt my 1st ele as a take-home trophy and perhaps go the less $$ route thereafter. God willing!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

Tuskless cow Elephant in Zim ARE EXPORTABLE. They are different from Ration Ele in Zim, which may be a cow or bull of non-trophy quality, which are NOT exportable.

I have hunted both, successfully.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thanks for the correction, Mike. i guess i just never considered a tusk less cow as having something worth exporting. never thought about the ears, skin, feet, etc tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Exactly! Elephant hide makes, IMO one of the most beautiful leathers for use in boots, belts, bags and all sorts of things. I have all those and more made from my Ele hides.

Interestingly, if you have a Ration tag, you will likely take a tusked cow, as the tuskless are saved for those holding Tuskless tags, since they are fewer and further between.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA