New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steenbok, Duiker caliber
 Login/Join

Picture of TJH
posted
Want to take a Steenbok and Duiker for full body mounts. I am thinking about a .223 with 62gr TSX. Planning on shooting some coyotes and jackrabbits with it to see how bad it tears them up. Any experience or suggestions on caliber and bullets that won't tear up the hide would be appreciated.

Posts: 81 | Location: NW KS | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJH, welcome to AR. I'm sure there are quite a number of small African antelope accounted for by the members on this website. I believe most of us have taken the Duikers, Grysbuck, Steenbucks, Suni, and other small antelope with the calibers we were using at the time we encountered them. For me, that was a 375, 416 or 458. A heavy bonded bullet won't usually encounter enough resistance in a small animal to do much damage, but will "pencil" through leaving a caliber-size hole. This may not be the case if shot straight on, but all my small antelope were full-body mounted without issue. Have fun!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took both of mine with my 6.5/.284 XP-100 handgun and Hornady 129 gr. GMXs. Very small exits, both DOA with one shot each. No hide damage.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 259 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of the small animals. Duikers,steenbuck,honey badger,civet,genet,dik dik and more porcupines than i can remember.
Most with a 30 06 with 150 gr solids.
They work great, very little damage.

It is nice to be able to shoot them with the gun you are hunting with for the plains game.

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Steenbok with a .22 Hornet with cheap South African Ammunition. I didn't want a full mount but my taxidermy friend was really happy for the skin. The whole was tiny and pretty perfect for a full mounts.

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
I have taken several of the Tiny Ten with my 30.06 and a 180 grain TSX.

These were all for shoulder mounts - I was careful to place the shots behind the front leg and they were fine for SM purposes. some would have needed some good work to repair for a full body mount.

I would go with a bigger calibre and a solid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A solid will do the least damage.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a .375 H&H with solids for duiker and suni, no problems and they make great full mounts.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of SAF
posted Hide Post
Best option any calibre with a solid . If anything that expands hit the least bit of bone you will end up with a half mount !

Happy hunting !

Richard Lemmer
Safari Afrika
www.safariafrika.net
richard@safariafrika.net
USA 480 363 6398. ( DEC to end March )
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages.../310296474391?ref=hl

Posts: 24 | Location: Waterberg Mountains , Limpopo , South Africa | Registered: 04 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is a solid (either .416 or .375) doesn't beat them up much, but any expanding bullet can- I had to go with a shoulder pedestal of my Southern Duiker because the .416 Rigby TSX all but blew it apart- even though I shot further back to avoid hitting a bone.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Solids in any medium caliber you are already hunting PG with will work. I have taken them with .300wm rifle and 480RUG/500S&W revolvers. Clean entry and exit holes without hide damage.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good advice, which is only what you get on AR!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot some small stuff with my .458Win Mag and used Hornady 500grains DGS. Works on elephant and oribi Big Grin

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered if a .223 with a 62 gr. FMJ would work well for this purpose as well. Anyone tried it?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I suggest a 375 or bigger with a solid. I makes a small hole and the animal goes down on the spot.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I shot a common duiker at roughly 30 yards with a 300 WM using a 180 gr TSX. The duiker was standing at a quartering towards angle. The bullet entered behind the shoulder and exited behind the rib cage pulling about half of the intestines out of the exit hole as it passed thru. I guess the high speed at such short range caused this. However, there was very little damage to the skin. If using an expanding bullet, be sure and don't hit the shoulder, or you might have a mess on your hands.

I'll be hunting red duiker in June and will be using my 375 H&H with 300 gr Hornady DGS as requested by my PH.

By the way, here is a picture of my duiker. The side showing is the exit side.

Good luck on your trip!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have taken a .223 to africa for some small guys. It was in essence a specialized safari for me. In 2011 I had an ele on quota and took my 458Lott; also had a Grysbok and a Klipspringer to add to my Little Guys and so decided to take a 223 bolt gun with a high powered scope on it. I used Hornady 223 Varmint loads. Carl used it to take a Duiker and I was successful with it on both my little guys (and my ele with the Lott). My other Tiny 10 animals on other safaris were all taken with a 300wm shooting solids.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I've taken a few small antelopes and Jackals. I wouldn't use the TSX. My personal experience is with an 8x57, 200 gr TSX. It really tore up the Jackals and Klipspringer. I shot my Damara Dik Dik with a 9.3x74 using a sold, which worked perfectly. I've also shot Jackal and Steenbok with a 22 K Hornet with a 50 gr Vmax, which also worked well. I would be nervous about shooting anything small with a high velocity rifle with anything other than a solid.

If you are going to try it out over here, I would test your load out on foxes, which to me would give you a closer idea to what you will be hunting.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote