Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Custom work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I have been reading the CZ vs Winchester with interest as I am in the process of purchasing a CZ 550 375. What are some of the common things that are done to the gun to bring it up to snuff? All I want from mine is reliability and reasonable accuracy. If I can get it from one out of the box I would probably not send it to a smith except for a trigger job. I will post what happens with my gun...both good and bad.

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Adjust the trigger, without a doubt. First thing I did when I got mine.

Second thing I did was send it off to have it rechambered from the 458 win mag to the 450 Dakota.

Took the stock off, got a wood rasp and started removing all the excess wood. Sanded it down and refinished it.

There was actually a nice piece of wodd under the brown spray pain looking finish.

I am happy with the gun and would buy another.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There was actually a nice piece of wodd under the brown spray pain looking finish.

Wendell,

"Pain looking finish" is a great line, I have seen a couple of those rifles too -- they were indeed painful to look upon.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The following is what I did to my CZ 550 getting ready for Africa. Much of it is the advice from this board. I am also somewhat obsessive.

1. Glass/ steel bed (necessary)
2. Trigger job CZ trigger needed little work (necessary)
3. Rails etc polished and checked for 100% feed CZ had no failures out of the box but was a little rough.
4. Install Packmyer sporting clay recoil pad. (Useful)
5. Adjust length of pull to suit me most rifles come from the factory to long in my opinion. (Necessary)
6. Adjust angle of butt to suit me. (Useful)
7. Change front site to Larger bead from AO sites (Useful)
8. Install ghost ring rear sight (Useful)
9. De horn entire rifle many sharp edges (necessary)
10. Fill hole in bolt (Useful)
11. Shoot about 100 rounds from field positions. (Necessary)
12. Carry deer and pig hinting two seasons. (Useful)
13. Pick up and handle at least once a week. (Necessary)
Doyle

Posts: 25 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Belarus>
posted
DHUF, where did you pick up the ghost ring mentioned in #8?

Thanks,
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you notice item #7, larger bead from AO sites, the ghost ring must be the Ashley.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion it doesnt need much.

Slick up and adjust trigger

CZ 3 position saftey (not win) easy drop in $65

Glass or steel bed if necessary, like any gun, make sure everything fits.

Pac 990 or Sims Vib pad, factory sucks (get the LOP right for you, all to short for me.

Shoot it and find out if the hog back fits if its a hog back, if it does, stip the lacquer finish and oil finish it. If its a light colored, dont be afraid to stain, will make a big difference, many CZ stocks look like a 2x4, but can be made decent. If the hog back doenst fit, work it down straight to what you like.

Warne rings, whatever scope and shoot it.

CZ's are good bang for the buck.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sights are Ashley-- AO now XS SIGHT SYSTEMS They are some what custom. http://www.xssights.com/
Doyle

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 in 375 doesn't take much. Have it checked by a good gunsmith. Make sure the stock hasn't shrunk away from the action.

Have the rifle fitted to you. That means, for me, cut the stock square, and, with luck, you could get a great piece of wood.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Hi there. I�m working on my 416 Rigby CZ, and I have two Q for you:
Where do I get a three position safety?
Why is it useful to fill the hole in the bolt handle, and with what?

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my cz's I have had them bedded my .416 I added another stock to while in my lott cz I added crossbolts and bedding as well as a barrel band and polidh the rails. My .375 cz is the smoothest cz I own and it feels like someone has done heaps of work on it...it's only been bedded. All of my cz's shoot well and I am happy with them.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Wendell,

"Pain looking finish" is a great line, I have seen a couple of those rifles too -- they were indeed painful to look upon.

jim

Actualy I tried to write "... under the brown spray paint finish... ". I guess either way, I was right.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is it useful to fill the hole in the bolt handle, and with what?

Boha
When operating the bolt vigrously it dosent eat your hand
Doyle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a difference between the CZ three position safety and the Winchester three position safety? (other than the cost)? I assumed they both function in the same fashion ? Thanks - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote