THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    POLL: New Animal to Replace Rhino in Big 5

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL: New Animal to Replace Rhino in Big 5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just like the title says. I have been thinking since green darting is stressful to Rhinos and in my opinion downright stupid. I would like to propose some new possibilities for a "Big 5" exportable and mountable... not like that GWB!

Question:
Which would you select for replacing Rhino in Big 5 and why?

Choices:
Poacher
Croc
Hippo
Giant Forrest Pig
Black Mamba

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hippo makes sense. It's the 3rd largest land animal, and it's also just as dangerous as any of the other "big 5" animals.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It can't be replaced; just call it the Big 4 and hope the rhino can come back.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am for leaving the rhino as a member of the big five to remind us all of how serious poaching is...and...for shooting the damn poachers.

Rhino poachers are terrorist...should be treated the same way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
IMO, the "Big Five" will always be what it is or what it once was...Lion, Leopard, Cape buffalo,Elephant & BLACK Rhino.

However, I wouldn't mind hunting for shrunken heads of poachers as a "mountable" trophy. Hippo makes sense for a revised "Big 5", however it loses it's true authencity & purity. As ledvm mentioned, I like his idea for leaving the rhino on the list, just as a powerful reminder of how serious poaching is in Africa & hope we can bring the rhino back to healthier numbers.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheala Jackson Lee!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Lane. Poachers should be the substitute.
jumping Have your taxidermist check with the amazon natives on proper head treatment.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Add hippo and crock and call it the dangerous six.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

This is the most logical position to take within the context of the realities of the modern safari.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hippo & Croc, plus the Big 5. Wouldn't that be the Dangerous 7????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I wouldn't mind hunting for shrunken heads of poachers as a "mountable" trophy.

quote:
Have your taxidermist check with the amazon natives on proper head treatment.

CamoManJ & CrossL,

I get an amazing amount of inquiries that fall under the heading of "bizarre". However, they have enabled me to become knowledgeable on a host of arcane subjects.

So if either of you, or any other forum member, should find yourself in possession of a poacher's head, and were wondering what the procedure would be for a proper shrunken head... I recommend the following in-depth resource.

How to Prepare a Shrunken-Head

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Never was good at "showing my work" in math class. However,

Big Five - Rhino + Crock + Hippo = Dangerous Six

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do we have to change it by adding and subracting? Leave it alone, it's what it was, not what someone wants today to be able to say they got the "Big Five" or get some SCI BS award.

To change it degrades what I did 4 decades ago.
If I had been born earlier I could have kept doing it. I cannot change when i was born. Quit trying to change it to fit your description of your ego needs. Try as yopu might, you cannot change history

Throw the rocks, I can take it!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really, can't some things be left alone? Unless of course there is some burning desire to create a marketing opportunity. Then by all means feel free to sell out and cheapen that which has gone on before.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Hippo on dry land with you between it and the water.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CamoManJ & CrossL,

I get an amazing amount of inquiries that fall under the heading of "bizarre". However, they have enabled me to become knowledgeable on a host of arcane subjects.

So if either of you, or any other forum member, should find yourself in possession of a poacher's head, and were wondering what the procedure would be for a proper shrunken head... I recommend the following in-depth resource.

How to Prepare a Shrunken-Head [/QUOTE]

Got it Alan

Thanks

tu2

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And for the main topic,

The Big Five is unchangeable -have to have Rhino .
You couldnt substitute a Wooly Mammoth and a saber tooth tiger either.

Times change and life moves on, wish I could have hunted then but I cant.

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why change? White rhino is still huntable.

However, I would add the mountain nyala as it is about as tough to get to hunt.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Hippo tu2

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No, no, no, no, and no, again.

The past can only be remembered. It cannot be replaced.

The Big 5 will be the past, until the rhino recovers, if ever he does.

And we should all pray, but not hold our breath, for that day to come.

Until then, it will be the Big 4.

Or even fewer than four, if the odds can't be turned around.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind, guys, that "the big 5" is a term also used by the photo safari people. Just because you can't hunt rhinos, doesn't mean they're not there. Kruger park is full of them, although they have big poaching problems there.

Let's just leave the list the way it is, and hope that both black and white rhino populations will one day rebound to huntable numbers. Personally, I think the method of injecting poison into the horn of every live rhino is a good way to try to save the species by making them worthless to poachers.

In the past, I've heard that elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard, hippo and croc were already called the dangerous 7.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my next question would be why was the Hippo not included in Big 5? Certainly it is bigger than lion or leopard. Unless it was just too easy to kill......

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Exactly and the Hippo addition to the rhino, ele, lion, leopard, and buff is known already as the Big 6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
No, no, no, no, and no, again.

The past can only be remembered. It cannot be replaced.

The Big 5 will be the past, until the rhino recovers, if ever he does.

And we should all pray, but not hold our breath, for that day to come.

Until then, it will be the Big 4.

Or even fewer than four, if the odds can't be turned around.

Hear, hear!

What's wrong with a Big 4?

Not to disparage the White Rhino as a game animal, but isn't a coyote more likely to kill your kid? I don't doubt a White Rhino could take you apart, it's just that they don't seem inclined to do so.

A 'yote that's been feeding on garbage in Griffith park, on the other hand, is more likely to decide your toddler is just too juicy a chunk of meat to pass up.

I could be wrong. Can somebody come up with a list of fatalities White Rhinos are responsible for?

I think it's less than 10. If they haven't killed as many people as Bison have off'd in Yellowstone, I'd say they hardly qualify as dangerous game. Come to think of it, I think Moose have killed more people. So why prop them up as such merely to maintain the "Big" number at 5?

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

Exactly and the Hippo addition to the rhino, ele, lion, leopard, and buff is known already as the Big 6.

Yep, and if you add Croc that's 7?? Or am I missing something here?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Five is the Big Five - Leave it at that.I don't like when we rewrite history to suit the present.If Black Rhino is no longer available,And it isn't practically, Then let's consider as the current option, THE FABULOUS FOUR! Eeker

Sounds just a little bit gay when I say it out loud.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Of all the animals on that list, the one that I least want to meet is a Mamba.

I propose, the "LOW FIVE". Black Mamba, Cobra, Adder, Gaboon and Green Mamba and/or spitting Cobra.

And no, I wouldn't do that hunt even if you Paid me!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not trying to rewrite history. It strikes me that's what people who are trying to elect some animal to replace the Black Rhino, to keep the sacred number at 5, are doing.

I don't want to harsh anyone's mellow; maybe the white rhino is a real terror wreaking death and destruction whereever it ranges. I just haven't heard about it.

A 5,000 pound animal with a 20 or 30 inch horn does seem to be the kind of animal that nightmares are made of.

I've just never heard of them displaying much of a 'tude.

Of course, if you weigh 5,000 pounds and have a 30 inch horn, you probably don't need to display much of a 'tude to live life on your own terms.

White Rhinos always seemed to me to be good natured brutes that like sugar cubes and a little lovin.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
The Big 5 is the Big 5 -- it shouldn't and won't change.

The Dangerous 7 is there to include the Croc and the Hippo -- both fantastic hunting in my view -- but the Big 5 is the Big 5.

Not that I wouldn't welcome an open season on poachers.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, let's make it the Big 8....gotta have both Rhinos to count!
The attack Chipmunk in my back yard will never qualify but he is truly a brave and ferocious beast!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Better off putting mosquito above croc.

Leave it as the big five. A constant reminder of what has been lost.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rhino should be left on as it will symbolize the need for continued conservation efforts and vigillence regarding poachers! tu2

That withstanding, Rhino poaching will never end until we convince those with "Wiener-Envy-Epidemic", "WEE" for short (no pun intended) decide that overcoming a genetic "shortcoming" (oops, there I go again) is best accomplished via a little blue pill! shocker

JW

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Big Five is what it is. Leave it alone. Same thing as to the Magnificent Seven.