Find
Notify
Tools

BDC use in Africa for PG?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
If you've used a BDC reticle scope in Africa, could you please share your thoughts on its use, shot distances, areas hunted, species hunted, caliber used, etc.

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird,

I used the Leupold B&C reticle on my hunt in September. The longest shot on plains game that I had was about 200 yards. I did get ready to whack a waterbuck 265 yards away, but we decided he was at beat 25 inches, so I passed.

Nearly every scope has a "built in" drop compensation if it has a Duplex (that is a reg trademark of Leupold, BTW) reticle. For example, almost all Vari-X III and later scopes subtend 8 inches from the bottom post to the crosshair at 300 yards when turned to the highst power. Most reasonably flat shooting cartridges will drop around 8 inches when zeroed at 200. If you want to be perfect, zero the rifle and 300 yards using the top of the post. You will be very close to a 200 yard zero.

Knowledge of where my bullets hit with respect to the Duplex allowed Wendell to borrow my .416 and shoot a buffalo at 355 yards. He killed it with one shot. I used the same knowledge to kill one at 308. That was in Kigosi where the flood plains are wide open in places.

I used the same zero to shoot a wildebeeste at 305 yards in the Selous in 2001. That was the longest shot I have attempted shooting standing off the sticks (I shot the buff prone, ironically, the only animal I have ever shot prone in Africa).

I don't see a need for shooting much beyond 300 yards in Africa, but you never know. Boddington is fond of writing about a lechwe he shot at 400 yards some years ago. That was in the days before rangefinders, making the shot even more impressive.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have only used one on one shot in Africa - a springbok at close to 300 yards with a .300 Winny. It worked well.

I have used one on both rifles and muzzleloaders successfully here in the US and Canada, though I admit I don't shoot at distances longer than 300 yards hardly at all. I have found at the range, it really does help me- the non-accomplished longrange shooter.

I have mine tuned in now for my Coue's deer hunt at the end of the month.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote