THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Plains game outfits in Namibia or South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plains game outfits in Namibia or South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Can anyone please recommend a decent Namibian or South African outfit for a simple (7 day or less) plains game hunt? I’m looking to book this winter for a 2009 or 2010 hunt. I’ve looked at so many websites that I’m a little overwhelmed. I’d really like to hunt kudu and wildebeest, along with warthog, baboon and impala. Maybe zebra and hartebeest too.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I’ve never been there (yet!).

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia has many great outfitters and areas. For the money I believe Dirk and Rita with Omalanga Safaris offer one of the best deals in Africa! They have everything a hunter might want, First class lodge, Remote tent camps and over 250.000 acre's. I believe their 08 price is $285 for a 1x1 hunt. I have hunted with them and at least 10 or 15 AR members have hunted with Dirk and Rita in the last two years. Troy Hibbitts posted a great hunt report on his recent hunt with Dirk and Rita . Check it out at Hunting Reports Africa lot of great photos! I will Be hunting with Dirk next week ( all of September ) I will post a report when I get back in October .

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rob!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Eric

Try

www.holstein-namibia.com

I am there agent over here in the UK. I can send you some prices if you want.

Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor Sporting

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Best way is just keep checking them all out and keep narrowing it down based on the criteria you use. Many many nice places to go, another you can check out, which is where I went last year: http://www.astra-jagdfarm.co.za/

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Gras Ranch. I was there in 2005 and had a wonderful time. There are many posts here from others also.

here is the link http://www.zingelasafaris.com/

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
First of all, if you don't already belong, you should join Safari Club International. Their magazine will help educate you and their annual banquets/auctions aren't bad either.

Secondly, you should go to the Reno, NV convention in January. You could then talk with BUNCHES of outfitters and pick up literature. That's not too far of a drive from Bakersfield.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Here's a good outfit in RSA. I hunted with them in 2004 and really enjoyed myself.

http://www.guwelahuntingsafaris.com/

This outfit was formerly known as "Mafigeni Safaris" and run by Claude and Jill Kleinhans.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Contact TJ Safaris, they work with Kalahari Hunting Safaris, and I've been really satisfied with them.
My buddy bagged two trophy that can stay in SCI record book, (a 58" Kudu), I bagged two in two times, one is the hartebeest. They and an American hunters winned a special award for trophy hunting, 5 trophy on 8 were in the record book, but I don't remember which organization gave the prizes.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've got several great outfits to choose from between RSA and Namibia. One even has salt water fishing available, all have excellent trophy class animals.

Go for at least 7 days, you will really be kicking yourself if you go for less time than that, it is too long a ride.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add to your confussion. If you have the time and want to attend a convention to talk with outfiters then go to Dallas, it has most of the outfitters you will find in Reno but it is more relaxed and they have expanded to 4 days this comming year. OK Reno is closer but Dallas is more fun and we have a gathering of 30 to 40 AR members in Dallas.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wave I too hunted and safaried with Dirk & Rita. My wife and I had a wonderful time and would heartily recommend them. I also recommend that you follow Ann's advice. The flight/s are long so I would not go for less than 10 days, 14+ if you can swing the time. Best of luck.

Posts: 188 | Location: Northern, Tennesse | Registered: 19 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Check out John La Sala He offers many different options and is a stand up guy.

Good Luck

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric:
Check your personal messages.
TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,
I have an excellent area in RSA if your looking for trophy animals. There are plenty of mature animals but the potential to take upper level trophies is very real. Check your PMs and I'll give you some pics to look at. Daily rates are very affordable as are trophy fees. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound,
Just returned from a 10 day with: Neil Barnard @ www.nbsafaris.co.za
Took 7 animals and had a truly awesome time. Very comfortable accomodations, new equipment, very knowledgeable staff.
I am going back in '09 and will definitely go with Neil. E-mail me and I can send you pics or look at the post on here.
Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're off to a good start, asking for reoommendations from people who have hunted with various outfitters/PH's. Here's another one. Three of us had the time of our lives, so much so, were going back in less then a month!

http://www.sandriver.co.za/

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric
It can be a very confusing task booking a trip to Africa. It took me a while before I decided to book with an operator.
In the end I booked with Johann Veldsman from Shona-hunting adventures in Namibia.
The good reviews on this forum and other references as well as Johann's ability to understand my needs all helped me to make this decision.
Check out their website at www.shona-adventures.com
I suggest you contact him, he will also be able to give you advice on your whole trip.

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, folks. REALLY appreciated.

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shona is good as is Sebra Hunting Adventures both in NW Namibia both great prices and animals. I hunted with Jan duPlessis near Kamanjab he owns Sebra. I killed gold medal kudu,gemsbuck,warthog and a hartman's zebra in 5 days of hunting though the safari was booked for 10 days. Then we traveled to Etosha park and onto an eland hunting area where I hunted eland solely for a few days.
BEWARE of pkg rates that do not refund trophy fees for unkilled game.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of setterrun
posted Hide Post
I saw that someone had already mentioned Shona Adventures and Sebra. I just got back in late July from huntin with Johann (Shona) and Jan (Sebra). Both guys work extermly hard for their clients. Johann has two areas to hunt, one close to Jan and another further south near Otjwarongo. I have hunted with Johann two years in a row and am planning my third trip back. If you want to contact someone in the states about hunting with Shona, e-mail me @ david@shona-adventures.com or setterrun@mebtel.net. I would be happy to answer any questions about Johann and his operation.

Posts: 26 | Location: Efland, NC | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I was in your position about a year ago. After exhaustive research I chose to hunt with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Hunting Safaris (http://www.huntingsafaris.net/). I hunted with Karl in July and had a fantastic time. He offered an exceptional package of plains game in Namibia, including most of the species that you mention. Of the ten animals that I took, five qualified for NAPHA Gold Medal. But more than excellent trophy quality, Karl made sure that I also had a varied and interesting time when not in the field. I am still preparing my hunt report for AR but will send you a PM with a draft version.

Good luck,

Peter

Posts: 59 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At Limpopo, close to the Stockport border control RSA/Botswana, Clive Perkins runs a very good operation, http://sportsmanssafaris.com/
We hunted there in 2006 and have booked again for May 2008. Nice camp situated right on the riverbanks of Limpopo, and splendid terrains with both bushveld and riverine forest with lots of game.

They do pick up at Johannesburg Airport, and the ride take approx five hours with airconditioned mini bus.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'm probably a little late on this, but give JJ Hack a try. I hunted twice with him and both trips were great. Several others here have also hunted with him and given his operation very high recommendations. Another unique thing about JJ - besides booking the hunts, he is an RSA PH and he'll be right there with you when your hunting. That's a big plus.

http://huntingadventures.net/

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antonie Louw
E-mail Address(es):
makalaan@mweb.com.na
website: This is done by a client in the USA is www.makalaan.com

I'm going on my second trip with him in about a week. Excellent trophys, good PH and good food, good staff, basically an all round good experience.

One very important idea, go for a longer time. I went for 8 days the first time, WAY TOO short, going for 18 this time. Also, Antonie offers side trips to Etosha Park, GO. See something besides the hunting camp.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound,

I hunted with Mike Kibble of Progress Safaris last year and a mate and I took 58" and 55" Kudu, 40" and 42" Gemsbok bulls, 44" Gemsbok cow and a 16" and 17.5" Springbok........oh and a 25" Red Hartebeast Smiler

www.progress-safaris.com

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJHACK did a great job for us in june 07. We can't say enough good things about the food, lodging and most importantly the hunting!
jmr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric, I just returned from hunting Namibia with Karl Stumpfe-Ndumo Safaris. To say I had a great trip is an understatement. It was my first trip and I took 17 animals. 12 Springbok, 10 culls and 2 trophy. Two Gemsbok (one 39 15/16ths RW), a Kudu (56 11/16ths, RW), an Eland (38 4/16ths RW). Karl tells me that I was very lucky. I saw seemingly thousands of animals. I should get some pictures up in the next fews days.

I suggest that you at least correspond with Karl and see what he offers. I think he is at home for a few days now and then I believe he has bull elephant hunts booked for a period of time.

I think his website is www.huntingsafaris.net.
Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

For a first trip, you took some fine animals. Congratulations to you and Karl!!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
go to the SCI Convention in Reno in Jan. there will be a ton of plains game hunts at the auctions in both RSA and Nam. my first 2 trips to Africa were auction hunts in Zim and RSA that i paid about 50 cents on the dollar for and had the time of my life. everything was first class, including the trophies. even if you don't buy an auction hunt, essentially every African outfitter and booking agent will be there sellimg plains game package hunts at discounted prices. you can check out currently available auction hunts ( the list is growing every week) at the SCI website.good luck-fair warning, however- once you go, you are hooked and you WILL go back!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jochen Hein of Okatjuru Safaris is a great choice for a first hunt.

www.okatjuru.com

You'll want to check with him about impala -- they have black-faced impala in the area which require extra CITES mumbo-jumbo of some sort.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just returned from Namibia and a ten day hunt with CEC Safaris with Cornelius & Elaine Coetzee. This was my first trip to Africa and everything exceeded my expectations from the quality of the plains game to the hospitality of the Coetzee's. We had an absolute ball with them. My first African animal was a 58.5" Kudu which I am told is an excellent animal. Highly recommend CEC.

Posts: 48 | Location: Henderson, Nv. | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote