THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anybody recommend a decent taxidermist in the N Tx, DFW area

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody recommend a decent taxidermist in the N Tx, DFW area
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shipping agent wants to send my sons and my trophies and hides from Namibia to DFW. This includes 2 warthogs caped for shoulder mounts so the taxidermist has to be certified, or whatever you call it, for pigs. I had the name of one in Little Rock that was recommended but lost it. Help, please.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I swear, I hate this process. If it wasn't for them being my 14 yr old son's first African animals I'd tell them to dump them.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I had my Namibian trophies shipped on to Jerry Huffaker in Abilene and he mounted them.

Wendell Reich has a taxidermist that is closer. I do not know if he is "warthog certified" but Wendell can put you in touch with him.

There is a poster on here who is a taxidermist in the area. His screen name is Bo-N-Aro. I have not used him but he has posted some mounts. Again I do not know if he is "warthog certified."

Good luck with the trophies.

Edit: Added member link but it looks like he has not posted since April and the website in his profile is not working.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.truelifetaxidermy.org/

He is Granbury just west of Fort Worth.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I definitely recommend Woodbury Taxidermy in Ingram, TX. jimmy Dieringer has done more than 50 animals for me including life size lion (2), leopard, Yellow Backed Diker, and of course Warthog. Check out the website: http://www.woodburytaxidermy.com/

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Huffaker is in Abilene but you might want to contact him. You'll get good value for the dollar with him. 1-325-672-2778.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Jerry Huffaker is in Abilene but you might want to contact him. You'll get good value for the dollar with him. 1-325-672-2778.

Mark

I can second Jerry, he is first rate.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Mark

I can second Jerry, he is first rate.

Same here. Jerry is great!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not in Dallas, but I haved used Mike Simpson and his sons at Conroe Taxidermy in Houston and have been very pleased.

They will be getting my Zim trophies from last year if they ever get out of the country!

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Ohio and used Jerry Huffaker for my 2005 Namibian plains game. He did a great job and I plan to use him again for my 2009 Botswana hunt.
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto McCray. It's Roy Holdridge of True Life Taxidermy in Granbury.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again not in Dallas but I have used Gary Damuth in Brady for SA and Namibia animals and am very satisfied. He's usually at Dallas SCI.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your advice. I'm going to use Jerry Huffaker. He was nice enough to email me saying he would help. By Texas standards Abilene is just a bit farther down the road from Dallas. Unfortunately, for some reason known only to the computer gremlins I can't access or use email right now. Jerry, if you read this, I'll get in touch with you as soon as I can.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Thanks all for your advice. I'm going to use Jerry Huffaker. He was nice enough to email me saying he would help. Unfortunately, for some reason known only to the computer gremlins I can't access or use email right now. Jerry, if you read this, I'll get in touch with you as soon as I can.

You could try a PM if you can't ge tyour email to work.

Good luck with the trophies. Mine that he did are in my office and I get a lot of comments, plus I get to see them all day.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles:

Thanks but I'm sure it's a temporary problem and I want to be able to reply to his emails content which I just glanced at earlier today.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I knew you were too smart to overlook it but I am the master of the obvious. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jerry did an Axis deer for me! A great guy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your arrangements come adrift you might try Rick's Outpost 1-972-346-2825, in the general area of Mckinney. He has mounted a pig for my son-in-law and has my elephant tail for tanning.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry did my buffalo, and I have a buffalo and sable going to him next. He had me clear my items in Houston.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a whole bunch of animals done by Jerry Huffaker, including a bunch of African animals. He does great work.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles:

Thanks but I'm sure it's a temporary problem and I want to be able to reply to his emails content which I just glanced at earlier today.

Jerry is going to Zim this month and I'm not sure if he is still stateside or chasing buff in Matetsi.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Huffaker is a great taxidermist out of Abaline and his contact numbers are in the above posts..

Another very skilled taxidermist is Damuth Taxidermy out of Brady, Tex. damuth@cebridge.net.'

You won't go wrong with either..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shipping agent wants to send my sons and my trophies and hides from Namibia to DFW. This includes 2 warthogs caped for shoulder mounts so the taxidermist has to be certified, or whatever you call it, for pigs. I had the name of one in Little Rock that was recommended but lost it. Help, please.

Gatogordo, here is a man who is licensed to pick up Swine from Africa, and he is a good taxidermist as well, and does reasonably priced work!

ALPINE TAXIDERMY
5482 SHELBBY RD.
Fort worth, Texas

Phone: (817)478-0501

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Gatorgordo
All of my work is done by Mike McWilliams at Modern Taxidermy in Joshua, Texas, just southwest of DFW about 30 mintues and he will pick your animals at DFW if need be. He also is a hunter that travels to africa several times a year to hunt so he knows what he is doing. He has been taxidernists for over 30 years I beleive. He also has done all of my cleints work in North Texas. He is highly regarded as one of the best and IMO he is.

www.moderntaxidermy.com

Good Luck!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Jerry Huffaker. One of the best on African and N. America. If Jerry hasn't cut off his 2008 intake of clients, I'd have no questions. Visit the Taxidermy forum and pull up his mounts. You'll see what I mean. Best of luck.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Aaron Schulte in Houston, expereinced African Hunter, bronze aritst and taxidermist and does good work at very good prices:
number at the shop is (281)296-9458 and ext.2
> To: schulte-bronzes@hotmail.com

One thing you need to watch out for these days is the Horrendous cost of Freight Forwarders fees at the other end, many many fees added, ie 100% of air freight charges often added, and the even worse rip off at this end with brokers getting involved. You do have to have a licensed taxidermist with international USF&W import certificates for primates and pigs...BUT ASK BEOFRE YOU APPROVE SHIPMENT, AND ALWAYS PREPAY BY CREDIT CARD THE INTERNATIONAL AIR FREIGHT so every tom dick and Harry along the route doesn't tack on their fees...this can get very expensive these days...I am still hasseling my trophies back from Mozambique from a September 2007 hunt...Dip,Pack and Doc fees now down 50% from original charge...and now I am working on the Forwarding fees on the sir freight of over 100%!! This is going to kill Safari hunting when the "hangers on" fees of dip/pack/doc, forwarders (who are paid commissions by air lines), and clearance agents DOUBLE your daily rates!! YES, I AM CONSIDERING ABANDONING MY TROPHIES BUT I HAVE ALREADY PAID $380 FREIGHT TO THE DIP AND PACK PEOPLE, $745 TO THEM...THE FORWARDER WANTS $1345, AIR IS $400 OF THAT...AND THEY ARN'T MOVING UNTIL THAT IS 50% GOOD LUCK!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2671 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote