Find
Notify
Tools

Thermacell in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Has anyone ever used a Thermacell on the insects in Africa? How did it work? If so, I might use it as a gift to the PH and outfitter in the future, if they work.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to take a unit to Tanzania, but the propellant cannot be taken in luggage on commercial airlines. You must ship it to the country by commercial shipping.
I was going to use it in the lion and leopard blind to minimize tsetse flies and sweat bees.
I talked to a Thermacell representative last week at a hunting show and he said that was the only way to get it to Africa. He did not have any knowledge of its effect on African bugs, but he thought it should work. He also thought it would not pose a scent problem.
I also am interested in does it work in Africa.
I will use it in the states, but nothing bites like a hungry Tsetse Fly and nothing drives you more nuts ( maybe Black flies) than Sweat Bees tap dancing on your eye balls.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
It's a good question, but like RobertJr indicated, the odds of being able to transport a butane canister on a commercial airlines is not very high. Maybe canisters can be purchased over there.?

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I work with the T-Cell folks pretty closely and have for years. I fly with mine all the time (though technically it is not allowed). About one out of 8 times, TSA removes the refills from my baggage, and then I can't use it. I found if you do not leave it in the packsge, you are better off. Putting it in boots, etc. works pretty well.

Thelast 6-8 flights, I have been putting a bunch of refills in my camerabag under the camera. It has never been touched. I think on X-ray, it might look like film canisters. Now I know this isn't PC, but neither is flying with Pyrodex, etc., but tons of hunters do it.

I am taking mine to Zim. in August if I don't get caught. T-Cell wants to know about how it works over there, but it can't be a big market for them because there isn't a way to play by the rules and have the product in Africa.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure how a Thermacell would work in Africa, especially if you're thinking about it for tsetse flies. First of all, a Thermacell only works if you are in a stationary postion. When hunting in Africa, that is rarely the case. When you are sitting still, however, that's not when tsetse flies bother you--that's when they leave you alone. As a result, I see little use for it.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
Thermacell only works if you are in a stationary postion.

This is a valid point. In my experience it takes 20minutes for it to disperse enough vapors to be effective.

If you are hunting in a blind they should work great. But one cautionary item. DON'T use the thermacell in a blind. Put it just outside the blind or hang it out a window. They work fine like that. Thermacells burns fuel and create carbon monoxide. Definitely not the thing you want to be in a confined space with.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies thus far. I never thought about the canisters being a problem with the airlines, but it does make sense.

As far as my thoughts on their use, I was thinking they would be useful in your typical big cat blinds and possibly for those who hunt with archery around water holes. Outside of using it in the field, I thought it would be a very nice addition to the camp when sitting around enjoying evening cocktails. If they did work and I could get one to the outfitter/ph, I thought they would make a nice gift.

Thanks,

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the blind was air tight then you would have to worry but that is never the case so the carbon monoxide scare is a non factor

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
graybird,
What bugs are you wanting to ward off with a Thermacell? In my limited experience, they weren't a problem when in blinds hunting for cats. Maybe I was hunting at an odd place or time, however.
Below is what you'll have to deal with when riding down the road:

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
graybird,
What bugs are you wanting to ward off with a Thermacell? In my limited experience, they weren't a problem when in blinds hunting for cats. Maybe I was hunting at an odd place or time, however.

No real particular bug species come to mind. I just know I hate sitting around swatting things, especially when hunting. There is nothing more miserable then getting eaten alive when trying to sit still.

I was in South Africa a couple of years ago and don't really remember being bothered too bad by anything except the ticks. Damn did I get into a nest of them one morning when hunting some thick bush. I bet I spent an hour getting rid of those little suckers. The worst part was they were the little seed ticks!

Holy crap looks like the pickup ride has it's fair share of blood sucks too!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I guess ignorance is bliss. I took Thermacell to africa, with the butane inserts in my luggage and had no problems. We kept one lit on the floorboard of the Toyota and it seemed to ward off the tseses when we were up in Dande. Also when we stopped for lunch or a break. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I never saw a mosquito while in the Selous last summer...I did see and feel a few tsetse flies..
I did take skeeter beater in both forms...The oil is too oily...The gel which is like water did keep those guys of of us... and any other bugs also...I also used a fly swatter on the truck while going down the road...Trackers laughed like hell...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Most safaris are during the dry season, which is why mosquitoes are a rare concern for hunters. If I lived in Africa during the rainy season and had to put with up those suckers like I do here at home, a Thermacell might be a nice thing to have.
As for needing one during hunting season, I don't see the benefit. That picture above of tsetse flies on my PH's back is when we were riding around, which is when they come after you. When you're sitting in one spot, which is the only time a Thermacell could be effective, they don't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring, a leopard blind where you are trying not to move at all and not breathe very hard seems to be a good place for such a thing. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
If you want something that KILLS biting insects, including flies, ticks and mosquito's, spray your clothes and boots with Coulston's Duranon Permanone. I have found NO substitutes. Repel Permanone is not as effective. Neither are other brands that I've tried. Coulston's can be found at Cabela's and usually ordered by archery or gun shops. Runs around $5.99 per can. Spray only your boots and hunting clothes outside: you do not want to breathe the fumes or get it on your skin (just common sense). Let them dry and pack pants/shirts in large zip lock travel bags. Boots can go into plastic grocery bags and put a can in each boot. Most of the time you can do this with check in baggage. Don't try to take it with carry on luggage. That's a BIG no-no. This product lasts for about two weeks, and they claim even after washing but I doubt that. I can tell you that you should get 3-4 days wear out of one pair of pants before washing. Shirts, 1-2 days depending upon the weather and your environment. Winter months in Africa tend to be cool to warm but usually pleasant along coastal areas like the East Cape. Ticks will die as they start crawling up your pants. They get sluggish by the knee area and fall off thereafter. Mosquito's that probe your shirt will back out and die too. It's not for your skin: take other repellents for that. But it's the best I've ever found here and abroad for ticks. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
Spring, a leopard blind where you are trying not to move at all and not breathe very hard seems to be a good place for such a thing. "D"

I am sure that you are right in some places. My view was just based on hunting in TZ in July at which point bugs weren't an issue in a leopard blind. I'm sure other times or places would have found different results. Did you find bugs a problem when in a blind? What month? Nearer or in the rainly season I bet would be tough.