THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Would you take this shot? Leopard Video!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you take this shot? Leopard Video!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At 52 yards, would you take this shot?

Click on link below to watch the video!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, no question about it.

In fact, that leopard would been dead before the shot came.

I took one in Tanzania a few years ago which did not even stop at the bait.

He just had a look and turn to go.

Great shot though, well done.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir! Several good shot opportunities for a good shot on that Leopard.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir! About 9 seconds in.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt in my mind, shoot. If you can't hit a target the size of a leopard at 50 yards, you have no business hunting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am curious if the leopard was hit where the shooter was aiming? It looks like a cervical spine hit just in front of the shoulder which was certainly effective...but I would have been aiming slightly further back for a shoulder/heart-lung shot.

But yeah...I would have taken the shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am curious if the leopard was hit where the shooter was aiming?

I hope so, since I was the shooter! rotflmo

All I know for certain Lane, is the bullet most likely hit where the crosshairs were at when I pulled the trigger. What's all this talking about where I was aiming? 2020

Have a great day my friend. wave

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! As a PH you might want the client to shoot at the leopard while he was resting not feeding as he would be stationary but if the client is confident with the shot why not take it? As in Saeed's story the leopard just might jump out of the tree as fast as he got into it. I've killed a leopard presenting a far worse shot on a lion bait. He was lying on his side facing me at a slightly down angle. I put a 300 gr bullet where the neck meets the shoulder and the Tom never moved.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Yes! As a PH you might want the client to shoot at the leopard while he was resting not feeding as he would be stationary but if the client is confident with the shot why not take it? As in Saeed's story the leopard just might jump out of the tree as fast as he got into it. I've killed a leopard presenting a far worse shot on a lion bait. He was lying on his side facing me at a slightly down angle. I put a 300 gr bullet where the neck meets the shoulder and the Tom never moved.

Mark

Good point Mark, that's exactly why I asked the question.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am curious if the leopard was hit where the shooter was aiming?

I hope so, since I was the shooter! rotflmo

All I know for certain Lane, is the bullet most likely hit where the crosshairs were at when I pulled the trigger. What's all this talking about where I was aiming? 2020

Have a great day my friend. wave

Good Answer! Cool

Well done though my friend! tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have taken the shot.

Very well done Aaron.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I take the shot my PH tells me to take....and not before he tells me to take it.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bang!!! Down! Dead!... Simple..
When I was watching Aaron, in my mind I'm picturing what I would do and...Bang! Right when I was imagining my own shot was when yours rang out.
It was stable, shoulder forward...perfect...
The result..obvious.
Thanks for sharing some of these cool clips

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted leopard but I would have definitely taken the shot and nailed it.

I was scrolling the mouse cursor over the leopard and at the shot my cursor was right on the shoulder angling the shot into both lungs and through the heart area.

Arm chair leopard - easy! Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not take the shot mostly because I cannot afford the trophy fee

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes!!!!

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, I take it that the reason you ask the question is that someone, probably your PH, questioned the shot. I understand why he did. the cat is feeding and could move, and leopards tend to move rather quickly.

I think most PH's would say wait and not take that shot. He held that position for a long time and you obviously made a great shot.

Well done.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At 50 yards with a rest? Not an issue if you feel comfortable...

The only issue is that as mentioned above, they move fast and if he is not staying still, you could have a mess on your hands if he decided to move quickly.

I assume that you had ID'ed him as a male before the video? I am not so good with Leopard as to make the call on sex from that video bite, but if the PH gave the go ahead, I would have tried to do as well as you did.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some think you shouldn't set up under 100 yards. The difference is substantial.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
At 50 yards with a rest? Not an issue if you feel comfortable...

The only issue is that as mentioned above, they move fast and if he is not staying still, you could have a mess on your hands if he decided to move quickly.

I assume that you had ID'ed him as a male before the video? I am not so good with Leopard as to make the call on sex from that video bite, but if the PH gave the go ahead, I would have tried to do as well as you did.

Well answered. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, crbutler and Fujo - Yes, we had long since made sure he was a male. It was easy to see his "batteries" as Chris called them, when he first went into the tree - so we both knew we were good to go and knew he was a mature male. Keep in mind, this clip starts after he's been there for a couple of minutes already - it really was a no-brainer on the male ID.

Lavaca, no actually the PH never said a word - other than we both gave each other the "thumbs up" once we knew he was a shooter. An experienced hunter should NEVER need someone else to tell him/her when to shoot, nor should one be waiting for that either. If you are not sure of a good shot from a bad one, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place. Regardless of an animal's position, the anatomy never changes - only the angle of the shot does.

As a guide, I've long since stopped telling clients "when" to shoot, as it only seems to force them to shoot when they aren't ready. In my 24 years of experience guiding literally a couple hundred hunters now, I found they shoot best when allowed to do so without someone chirping in their ear, getting them flustered. I'll certainly tell them to "wait" if its a bad angle or something like that, or if they are asking for help, but when I'm hunting with an experienced hunter - I say nothing other than take him when "you" are ready. Otherwise I stay quiet, so he stays as calm and comfortable as possible - focusing only on the task at hand.

Honestly, Chris Trent was easily one of the best, most experienced PH's I have ever hunted with. He had the perfect demeanor/professionalism, and was happy to let me do my own thing too. I really enjoyed hunting with him, and I learned a lot from him on that 3 week safari. This leopard was one example of that. He kept telling me, big male leopards show up late in the morning - so be patient! We will sit until 8:30am - I thought he was drinking! This guy showed up at 8am, I was stunned - and Chris looked like a genius. Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice morning cat. Thanks for the response.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lavaca, crbutler and Fujo - Yes, we had long since made sure he was a male. It was easy to see his "batteries" as Chris called them, when he first went into the tree - so we both knew we were good to go and knew he was a mature male. Keep in mind, this clip starts after he's been there for a couple of minutes already - it really was a no-brainer on the male ID.

Lavaca, no actually the PH never said a word - other than we both gave each other the "thumbs up" once we knew he was a shooter. An experienced hunter should NEVER need someone else to tell him/her when to shoot, nor should one be waiting for that either. If you are not sure of a good shot from a bad one, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place. Regardless of an animal's position, the anatomy never changes - only the angle of the shot does.

As a guide, I've long since stopped telling clients "when" to shoot, as it only seems to force them to shoot when they aren't ready. In my 24 years of experience guiding literally a couple hundred hunters now, I found they shoot best when allowed to do so without someone chirping in their ear, getting them flustered. I'll certainly tell them to "wait" if its a bad angle or something like that, or if they are asking for help, but when I'm hunting with an experienced hunter - I say nothing other than take him when "you" are ready. Otherwise I stay quiet, so he stays as calm and comfortable as possible - focusing only on the task at hand.

Honestly, Chris Trent was easily one of the best, most experienced PH's I have ever hunted with. He had the perfect demeanor/professionalism, and was happy to let me do my own thing too. I really enjoyed hunting with him, and I learned a lot from him on that 3 week safari. This leopard was one example of that. He kept telling me, big male leopards show up late in the morning - so be patient! We will sit until 8:30am - I thought he was drinking! This guy showed up at 8am, I was stunned - and Chris looked like a genius. Smiler

That is the post of a man who has been there and done that. Pretty sage response on taking the shot.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Is this a test?

Ya, I would have taken the shot and probably a few seconds sooner when the cat was in a different position.

Visualize the engine room and put it where it counts.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is the post of a man who has been there and done that. Pretty sage response on taking the shot.

"been there and done that" ... more than several times over ..... cool as a cucumber, no jittery nerves.

Aaron, you cannot compare yourself with a first timer on Leopard or even worse, the guy who has made the journey several times and never got one.

You know, we know, there was no real need for Chris Trent being in the blind other than for the required formality of having a PH on the hunt. Same scenario applies to the 14 or so Lions under your belt, save maybe the first 2 or 3. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

"been there and done that" ... more than several times over ..... cool as a cucumber, no jittery nerves.

Aaron, you cannot compare yourself with a first timer on Leopard or even worse, the guy who has made the journey several times and never got one.

You know, we know, there was no real need for Chris Trent being in the blind other than for the required formality of having a PH on the hunt. Same scenario applies to the 14 or so Lions under your belt, save maybe the first 2 or 3. Wink

Perhaps Fujo to a degree that's true! I rarely think wounded leopards result in taking a bad shot, but rather the shooter making a bad shot - would you agree?

I will say though, I did learn from Chris and I was happy to have him along. Although I had hunted leopards many times, he taught me a couple of things I had not seen before - including additional patience that really paid off. Frankly, I can hardly think of a safari in Africa where I haven't learned something new from my PH. Its really been a wonderful learning experience getting hunt in so many countries, with so many qualified pros - who combined have really made me a better / more experienced hunter. tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I rarely think wounded leopards result in taking a bad shot, but rather the shooter making a bad shot - would you agree?

Most definitely so though a bad shot is not limited to the nervy first timer either; however, patience is the answer at gaining the chance of achieving a "perfect shot".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
I rarely think wounded leopards result in taking a bad shot, but rather the shooter making a bad shot - would you agree?

Most definitely so though a bad shot is not limited to the nervy first timer either; however, patience is the answer at gaining the chance of achieving a "perfect shot".

That's true as well!! I lost a big eland bull last year in Rukwa because I took a bad shot, and made a bad shot to boot. Over 200 yards at an eland who's facing directly at you - is a poor shot angle to take. I knew it, but I let my over confidence get the better of me - and later I regretted it.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Some think you shouldn't set up under 100 yards. The difference is substantial.

And some PH's like to be close. Joyce's at 17 yards, mine at 19 yards.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
He kept telling me, big male leopards show up late in the morning - so be patient! We will sit until 8:30am - I thought he was drinking! This guy showed up at 8am, I was stunned - and Chris looked like a genius. Smiler

He obviously knows how the cats in his area act. I was initially skeptical with our close blind placement in Moz but Derek repeatedly said the distance wouldn't matter and obviously he was correct.

Nice video clip Aaron. I so screwed up not hitting record on Joyce's since it was framed properly.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote