THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Botswana Safari with Harry Selby - 1965 - more pictures
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana Safari with Harry Selby - 1965 - more pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought the AR members might enjoy seeing some photos from a safari my father and grandfather went on in 1965 in Botswana. Harry Selby was their PH.

I'd be glad to post additional pictures if there is any interest.

***Here is some commentary from my father regarding this trip:

We knew it was going to be a good hunt when we had to buzz 3 kudu bulls off the air strip at high noon in order land. The license covered all species and multiple numbers of some. I don't remember if there were trophy fees,but if there were they were very modest.I believe the total for the hunt was around $12,000 for the 2 of us for 21 days. We hunted mostly along the Kwaii river near what is now I believe the Moremi Game Reserve. The country was in the midst of a severe drought and tons of game of all species was hanging very close to the river. We saw hundreds of head every day. Dad had a 30-06 and I had a 300 Weatherby . The 300 proved to be so effective that Dad started using it as well. I shot my buff with a 375 that Harry had. We made a trip up to the Savuti Channel to take pictures,it was pretty exciting as it was the only water within 30 miles and everything was watering there. We almost got charged by a buff that didn't like our presence. While there lions walked through our campsite one night. The tracks the next morning showed that they were about 3 feet outside our tent at one point. We went to the the Kalahari on the second leg of the trip and got the desert species. We had some great Guinea fowl and waterfowl hunting. Far from what I had imagined, the desert had lots of game,very interesting country. Harry Selby is a really great guy, we really enjoyed being with him. He ran a flawless camp with excellent staff and equipment, the trackers Jason and Lucas were unbelieveble . He knowledge was encyclopedic on the natural history of the region and his ability to judge game on the hoof was like nothing I have ever seen. He is a legend and sets the standard for any aspiring PH. ***

I've added a bunch of pictures to the original post:

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Pics not visible Confused

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First time posting pics, I think it is fixed now.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Give us more !!!!!!!!

Tell us more of the story also.

Harry Selby WOW Smiler

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. What I would give to have been there then.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Give us all you've got! If you want to make us cry, post the daily rate and trophy fees!

Thanks for sharing. Those are some precious family memories.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll speak with my father about the trip. I've heard stories about it all my life, but would rather ask him about the specifics. I believe it was 21 days, split between the Okavango and Kalahari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...Safari feeling pure !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love your pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Proud DRSS member

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
That is some fantastic pictures... And memories.. Wow! Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Some impressive sable, eh?

Thanks for sharing.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Tremendous sable bulls! Great photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much and, of course, we'd love to see more photos and hear the stories behind them.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
What a treasure trove!! I will look forward to seeing and hearing more.

Thanks!!!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. This is one of the best posts I've seen on here in a while. Let's see more!

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Did they ever go back?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great pictures - thanks for sharing them - looking back at some makes truth to the old saying, the more things change the more they stay the same

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
What a great set of pictures! I love looking at older photos of African safaris. They remind of a time when everything was a little bit different, and some might say better. Any additional details to share?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a hunt! Just the chance to share a campfire with Harry is worth the price of admission! Looks like that Weatherby did a good job, as well!

Thanks for sharing this!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for posting.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Many thanks.

Looks like those newfangled Weatherbys worked pretty well, huh? Big Grin

Coincidentally, 1965 was the year Ruark died.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the additional photos. Very, very nice.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, I love the little bush buck not to mention those sable.

Stu

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Brant, speaking for myself you could show us pics everyday for a year and I would not get tired of it... What rifles were they shooting for buf??

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics and story.

do you still have the rifle your dad used?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Very nice. What an awesome trip and you have the photos...really fantastic.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, what a wonderful experience, We can only dream about a hunt like that.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Awesome pictures!! Looking forward to seeing more and hopefully with a good story or 2.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely!!!!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born way too late!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much! The pictures are great!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, great hunt.
I have a Weatherby catalog from 1968 and it's interesting to see how often those rifles/cartridges were used back then compared to today.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep them coming mate. Got any more with Harry in them? What calibre is the Weatherby?
Most enjoyable, thanks.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
***Here is some commentary from my father regarding this trip (added to the original post as well):

We knew it was going to be a good hunt when we had to buzz 3 kudu bulls off the air strip at high noon in order land. The license covered all species and multiple numbers of some. I don't remember if there were trophy fees,but if there were they were very modest.I believe the total for the hunt was around $12,000 for the 2 of us for 21 days. We hunted mostly along the Kwaii river near what is now I believe the Moremi Game Reserve. The country was in the midst of a severe drought and tons of game of all species was hanging very close to the river. We saw hundreds of head every day. Dad had a 30-06 and I had a 300 Weatherby . The 300 proved to be so effective that Dad started using it as well. I shot my buff with a 375 that Harry had. We made a trip up to the Savuti Channel to take pictures,it was pretty exciting as it was the only water within 30 miles and everything was watering there. We almost got charged by a buff that didn't like our presence. While there lions walked through our campsite one night. The tracks the next morning showed that they were about 3 feet outside our tent at one point. We went to the the Kalahari on the second leg of the trip and got the desert species. We had some great Guinea fowl and waterfowl hunting. Far from what I had imagined, the desert had lots of game,very interesting country. Harry Selby is a really great guy, we really enjoyed being with him. He ran a flawless camp with excellent staff and equipment, the trackers Jason and Lucas were unbelieveble . He knowledge was encyclopedic on the natural history of the region and his ability to judge game on the hoof was like nothing I have ever seen. He is a legend and sets the standard for any aspiring PH. ***

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking that didn't sound so cheap to me, although I wasn't born yet, so I did some research and discovered that you could have bought TWO Cadillac Fleetwoods and had money left over...clearly the safari with Selby was the buy of a lifetime.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
12,000 1968 dollars were roughly equivalent in buying power to 75,000 2008 dollars.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very enjoyable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice wood on the Weatherby. Do you still have it?

FYI:
1965 = $12,000
2008= $81,184

Nearly a years salary for alot of people.

Could you get a similar safari today for 80,000?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible post and pics, thank you!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote