Find
Notify
Tools

African Taxidermy opinion...please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hope it's OK to post this here?

But I was notified my mounts from my last year PG hunt is ready for pymt.

Is it "improper" of me to ask for pics at this time? Just wondering that's all...

Wanted to see some pics before I wired pymt.

Wanted your opinions...Thanks!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Finally done? Roland, did you get shoulder mounts? I got my Euro mounts and zebra skin about 5 months ago, but am STILL waiting for my impala skin and springbok skin from the same place you used.

And in answer to your question, I think it highly appropriate - they did send me a pic of my zebra skin no problem.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of asking for pics. What are you gonna do if you don't like a pic?

In over a dozen safaris where I've had the taxidermy done in Africa, I've only had a few problems after opening the crates, and have worked these out to my satisfaction via email with the taxidermists, who are anxious to have satisfied clients in the USA.

Finding and selecting a qualified taxidermist in Africa is equally as important as finding a good PH, in my opinion. I recommend Taxidermy Africa and Life Form as being two you can count on.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
Finally done? Roland, did you get shoulder mounts? I got my Euro mounts and zebra skin about 5 months ago, but am STILL waiting for my impala skin and springbok skin from the same place you used.

And in answer to your question, I think it highly appropriate - they did send me a pic of my zebra skin no problem.

Yep, we had Josh's Kudu and my Orxy Shoulder-Mounted, that's why they took longer than your shipment...The Zebra Rug was finished quite awhile ago with all of our skull-mounts on shields...12 animals in all...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I've never heard of asking for pics. What are you gonna do if you don't like a pic?

In over a dozen safaris where I've had the taxidermy done in Africa, I've only had a few problems after opening the crates, and have worked these out to my satisfaction via email with the taxidermists, who are anxious to have satisfied clients in the USA.

Finding and selecting a qualified taxidermist in Africa is equally as important as finding a good PH, in my opinion. I recommend Taxidermy Africa and Life Form as being two you can count on.

Thanks for the reply!

[I edited to ADD...]

Because if the SM's don't look up to par IMHO for what I paid I would definitely like to resolve the issues at hand with my taxidermist via email...

I have recently become aware of a few people who were not at all satisfied with their results from this particular shop. And I believe it would be in my best interest to receive some pics at this point in time.

If, a problem arose where the issue(s) could not be appropriately resolved then I may as well forego my trophies and live with my FANTASTIC trophy pics "enlarged and framed" tastefully upon my walls!

However, my every intention is to get my trophies back to me as long as my SM's are in somewhat "DECENT" shape, NO doubt... Big Grin

Because of budgetary constraints at the time I paid for "B-grade" craftsmanship and that's what I'm only "hoping" to get for when I decided to opt for this shop...But not the "F-grade" stuff that I'm hearing of late, for even the simplest of matters...

Why should I pay the big $$$$'s for something that was done very "amatuerishly", and pay for the shipping and the US Customs clearance, etc.

Don't make sense to me as the REAL trophy is in me!...Hmmm...

I responded to their email and just asked for pics, since then no reply and much over a week has transpired and no response...sent another one yesterday and still no response...so I just was wondering and thought maybe I had asked too much of them...Hence, my thread here desiring opinions... Wink

I need to be more careful on my next trip and stay with the reputable guys overseas there or seriously consider paying more to have them done properly by the many well-qualified taxidermist we have here in the US who proudly stand behind their work, in fact several of them are frequent posters on this forum whose work I truly admired and have much integrity!

For me I could save the big $$$$'s if things don't quite work out mutually and save the $$$$'s for my next PG hunt and live with the BEAUTIFUL PICTURES on my walls!

A picture is worth a thousand words...And it might prove in this case to save me almost 6K... Wink

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea to ask for pictures, including close up shots of eyes, ears , nose etc... I do this for all my out of state customers.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
I think it's a great idea to ask for pictures, including close up shots of eyes, ears , nose etc... I do this for all my out of state customers.

Thanks Jerry for the reply!

And you're one of those guys that are doing SOLID work on the AFRICAN stuff IMO... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ask them if they are shipping them in wooden crates or cardboard boxes

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
ask them if they are shipping them in wooden crates or cardboard boxes

Will do...Thanks thumb

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist for birds sends me an email with pictures before expecting payment. Once I approve of the mount, I send the funds and he sends the mount. Then, he posts the pictures on his website. His motto is, if he is ashamed to put it on his website, then it isn't good enough!

I think pictures would be acceptable.

By the way, he is only about a 100 miles away too!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
My taxidermist for birds sends me an email with pictures before expecting payment. Once I approve of the mount, I send the funds and he sends the mount. Then, he posts the pictures on his website. His motto is, if he is ashamed to put it on his website, then it isn't good enough!

I think pictures would be acceptable.

By the way, he is only about a 100 miles away too!

I appreciate you taking the time to reply! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Life Form Taxidermy in White River, South Africa, always sends me pics of my mounts ahead of time. If there are issues we are able to address them before they leave for the States. Yes, ask for pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Life Form Taxidermy in White River, South Africa, always sends me pics of my mounts ahead of time. If there are issues we are able to address them before they leave for the States. Yes, ask for pictures.

Thanks Vaughn... thumb

I'll be patient with them and give them another week... Big Grin Eeker Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got pictures before my animals were sent. Make sure you ask for close up shots like Jerry mentions. It can solve problems early.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigChev4x4:
I got pictures before my animals were sent. Make sure you ask for close up shots like Jerry mentions. It can solve problems early.

Greg

10-4 buddy...I gotcha!
thumb

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I'm still a bit upset that they STILL haven't sent me (nor replied about) my two skins - over a year? They kept saying it was the tannery's fault since they had to wait for a large batch before doing them all - so, are you telling me it took one whole year to get enough impala and springbok skins to tan?

I'm starting to believe they got lost and now they are trying to find some replacements. Another member here has had a huge run-around with this group and they finally admitted, after 2 years, that they lost or destroyed most of his items.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LateBloomer:

If you're using who I think you are, I'd damn sure ask for pics. I visited the place and wouldn't have them stuff a sofa for me but that's my opinion. I hope yours come our to your perfect satisfaction.

I'd also use Pam Foerster for shipping, which is the one recommended by your PH or his son. Even tho I was a pain in the butt as a client, she did everything she said she'd do at the price she quoted even after a delay of quite a few months.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight. You ordered "B"grade taxidermy, and now you're concerned that the mounts might not look like you want them to?

You agreed to have the work done. He is asking for payment. Pay him and be done with it. It is hard to screw up European mounts and a flat skin beyond repair. The other two you take your chances with . It sounds to me like you ordered a Yugo, and now you want a Cadillac for a Yugo price. He has done the work, and now you want to stiff him and have beautiful pictures of your animals instead.

It seems to me like you owe the guy some money and don't want to pay it. Your word should be worth something, even if you are having second thoughts about what you ordered.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Do Not let them ship it before you see pictures.
If they say they are having problems, that means that most likely they have sold your capes and maybe even your horns to someone else and substituted an POS cape for you.

Most likely you will never see the real capes or mounts that would have been yours.

And while I'm at it. Stay away from Capricon Taxidermy. I just found out last month that after 12 years they are still stealing from their customers. With the same old excuse.

I'll never have anything mounted in Africa again. Salt and Ship it home is the only way to go and have any control!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Pics worked out good for me as I wanted some changes made tom my shield dispalying the warthogs I shot.

They amended to my requirements and now it is probably my favourite mount.

If you ar paying the money you should be able to see the work before parting with the cash.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
Let me get this straight. You ordered "B"grade taxidermy, and now you're concerned that the mounts might not look like you want them to?

You agreed to have the work done. He is asking for payment. Pay him and be done with it. It is hard to screw up European mounts and a flat skin beyond repair. The other two you take your chances with . It sounds to me like you ordered a Yugo, and now you want a Cadillac for a Yugo price. He has done the work, and now you want to stiff him and have beautiful pictures of your animals instead.

It seems to me like you owe the guy some money and don't want to pay it. Your word should be worth something, even if you are having second thoughts about what you ordered.

Re-read my original post, you'll have a better clue of what's going on here... bewildered

Then chime-in to share something relevant... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
I'm still a bit upset that they STILL haven't sent me (nor replied about) my two skins - over a year? They kept saying it was the tannery's fault since they had to wait for a large batch before doing them all - so, are you telling me it took one whole year to get enough impala and springbok skins to tan?

I'm starting to believe they got lost and now they are trying to find some replacements. Another member here has had a huge run-around with this group and they finally admitted, after 2 years, that they lost or destroyed most of his items.

popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
LateBloomer:

If you're using who I think you are, I'd damn sure ask for pics. I visited the place and wouldn't have them stuff a sofa for me but that's my opinion. I hope yours come our to your perfect satisfaction.

I'd also use Pam Foerster for shipping, which is the one recommended by your PH or his son. Even tho I was a pain in the butt as a client, she did everything she said she'd do at the price she quoted even after a delay of quite a few months.

Gato- I'll PM you later... coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Do Not let them ship it before you see pictures.
If they say they are having problems, that means that most likely they have sold your capes and maybe even your horns to someone else and substituted an POS cape for you.

Most likely you will never see the real capes or mounts that would have been yours.

And while I'm at it. Stay away from Capricon Taxidermy. I just found out last month that after 12 years they are still stealing from their customers. With the same old excuse.

I'll never have anything mounted in Africa again. Salt and Ship it home is the only way to go and have any control!

I wouldn't go that far in saying stuff about these guys in regards to stealing or switching capes out...but let's just say I will not use them again on my next trip in 2011...

And I will update this post once things start to get rolling...

I'm not asking for much!

Just give me what I paid for that's all and let me see a few pics...Plain and Simple!

No MORE and No LESS... popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer--In your reply to Lion Hunter you wrote that you "paid for "B" grade taxidermy due to budget constraints at the time". That's like taking your car to a cut rate body shop for a fifty dollar paint job. Do that, and you have to expect some drips and runs in the paint and a quickie job with the spray gun.

Same thing with taxidermy. When you ordered "B" grade taxidermy--whatever that is-- you forfeited your right to bitch about what was/is done on your behalf from a quality standpoint. From my perspective, you set yourself up for some half assed work, and now you don't want to pay for what you think is headed your way with your name on it.

Sounds like you are trying to "Squeeze" the taxidermist to me. It is a sad fact of life that people will go to the little guy to have work done because they don't want to pay the going rate for top drawer work. Then they "Squeeze" the little guy because they can and he is in no position to resist.

On the other hand, the guy may be a crook. If that is the case, your outfitter/PH should have steered you clear of him, and you should not have commissioned him to do the work in the first place.

Sorry, pal, you commissioned the work and knew the circumstances going in. In either case, you agreed to pay for second tier work. If your word is good, you should pay up and take your chances.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God Bless digital photography! Just a couple of years ago it would be unheard of to request photos, now it's very common. The Wildlife Gallery in Michigan is doing a lot of my stuff, and they actually post "mini-websites" with in-progress photos. What is possible now is truly amazing. As pointed out, though, once the animals are at the taxidermy it's very late to second-guess! Hopefully the taxidermist was chosen with care! Much work done today in Africa is truly the equal of work done in the U.S., although quality varies with every taxidermist. The worst taxidermy I ever had done was in Nairobi 33 years ago; famous studio, but Kenya had closed and I suppose they were closing things out. Since then I have had a lot of trophies mounted in Namibia, RSA, and Zimbabwe, no issues with quality of work. African taxidermy has gone up in price, but is definitely cheaper and usually faster than in the U.S. The tradeoff is shipping is a lot more for finished trophies. And, man, shipping prices have escalated dramatically in the last few years, so I'm no longer certain there are any actual savings. Don't be afraid to baulk at unreasonable shipping costs and ask for a different quote!

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Late Bloomer--In your reply to Lion Hunter you wrote that you "paid for "B" grade taxidermy due to budget constraints at the time". That's like taking your car to a cut rate body shop for a fifty dollar paint job. Do that, and you have to expect some drips and runs in the paint and a quickie job with the spray gun.

Same thing with taxidermy. When you ordered "B" grade taxidermy--whatever that is-- you forfeited your right to bitch about what was/is done on your behalf from a quality standpoint. From my perspective, you set yourself up for some half assed work, and now you don't want to pay for what you think is headed your way with your name on it.

Sounds like you are trying to "Squeeze" the taxidermist to me. It is a sad fact of life that people will go to the little guy to have work done because they don't want to pay the going rate for top drawer work. Then they "Squeeze" the little guy because they can and he is in no position to resist.

On the other hand, the guy may be a crook. If that is the case, your outfitter/PH should have steered you clear of him, and you should not have commissioned him to do the work in the first place.

Sorry, pal, you commissioned the work and knew the circumstances going in. In either case, you agreed to pay for second tier work. If your word is good, you should pay up and take your chances.

Don't have time for you bud, you still haven't got my point, NEITHER do you know my integrity!

Anyways, no probs!

Have a great day! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
God Bless digital photography! Just a couple of years ago it would be unheard of to request photos, now it's very common. The Wildlife Gallery in Michigan is doing a lot of my stuff, and they actually post "mini-websites" with in-progress photos. What is possible now is truly amazing. As pointed out, though, once the animals are at the taxidermy it's very late to second-guess! Hopefully the taxidermist was chosen with care! Much work done today in Africa is truly the equal of work done in the U.S., although quality varies with every taxidermist. The worst taxidermy I ever had done was in Nairobi 33 years ago; famous studio, but Kenya had closed and I suppose they were closing things out. Since then I have had a lot of trophies mounted in Namibia, RSA, and Zimbabwe, no issues with quality of work. African taxidermy has gone up in price, but is definitely cheaper and usually faster than in the U.S. The tradeoff is shipping is a lot more for finished trophies. And, man, shipping prices have escalated dramatically in the last few years, so I'm no longer certain there are any actual savings. Don't be afraid to baulk at unreasonable shipping costs and ask for a different quote!

Thanks for your input Craig...I appreciate it! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squeeze--I got your point going in. That is why I posted in the first place. Your integrity is no longer in question, either.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have asked for and received photos before. But, frankly, I have found that they are of very limited use. Photos never do justice to a fine mount.

On the other hand, I have never suffered from a major taxidermy mistake.

(Can you imagine: "I ordered a full body mount, and you are giving me a skull on a shield!?!?!?!" Big Grin).

I believe that the key is to choose an excellent taxidermist and provide very detailed instructions - especially for difficult animals, such as cats. Here are my instructions from a letter I wrote to Life-Form Taxidermy in RSA, with respect to the Namibian lion I killed in 2005:

"Lion: Full body mount, with the lion standing, head looking straight forward, with a calm facial expression and his mouth slightly open (no snarl or bared fangs), as an undisturbed lion would typically hold himself. I want my lion to look regal and possessed of all of his natural power and dignity."

Here is my lion:

Never saw a photo before shipment, but I certainly have no complaints! (Of course, by 2005, I had used Life-Form enough to develop a lot of trust.)

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Squeeze--I got your point going in. That is why I posted in the first place. Your integrity is no longer in question, either.
animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma...

I understand what you're saying thanks for posting!

I'd like to do enough business with a taxidermist to know I can trust them too... Big Grin

This is only our first trip...

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
On the Shipping costs craig also has a point.

I sent my shipping quotation back three times before they found a carrier that was what I wanted price wise. I ended up virtually halving the cost of the shipping, which was lucky as I got stuffed on the clearance this end!!

You win some and you lose some I suppose....

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ask for pictures. This would have saved some major heart burn and grief for my brother- his kudu shipped with several huge spots of hair slipped on the neck and shoulder. The taxidermist just painted the bare spots grey. No way was this acceptable. Asking for pics is great!

Also ask about shipping containers- we were charged a huge fee for "crating" and the mounts were shipped in flimsy (by my standards) cardboard boxes, resulting in mount damage. Parts were sticking through the box and several curios were totally destroyed.

Jimmy

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimD:
I would ask for pictures. This would have saved some major heart burn and grief for my brother- his kudu shipped with several huge spots of hair slipped on the neck and shoulder. The taxidermist just painted the bare spots grey. No way was this acceptable. Asking for pics is great!

Also ask about shipping containers- we were charged a huge fee for "crating" and the mounts were shipped in flimsy (by my standards) cardboard boxes, resulting in mount damage. Parts were sticking through the box and several curios were totally destroyed.

Jimmy

Thanks for sharing your brother's experience as this is EXACTLY one of my main primary concerns!

Know of several folk who recently had gotten [they were there a week prior to me with same PH and used same Taxidermist] who experienced massive hair slip on their hide(s)...

If I didn't hear of this type of problems I would not be patiently and most insistently requesting to see pics of my trophies!

I want to pay for my trophies most desperately and get them back home, but NOT pay for something that was handled improperly!

I saw the way my PH and folks handled our trophies and they were indeed handled properly and I'm more than sure the 4 other hunter's hides were handled with like care at camp...

Its of no MYSTERY to me the prob is with the TAXIDERMIST who btw came highly recommended by my PH...

I have no doubt my PH will pursue this matter on my behalf, and I'm patient and willing to give my Taxidermist another couple days to respond as it will be almost going on 2 weeks...

Hmmm, we'll see how the saga unfolds!

If worse comes to worst I'll have them mount my Oryx and son's kudu horns on a different skull and do a skull/horns on shield mount like the rest of our other 10 trophies... Wink

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its of no MYSTERY to me the prob is with the TAXIDERMIST who btw came highly recommended by my PH...
Perhaps if in town, your PH would be so kind as to pay the taxidermist a vist on your behalf. Or, at the very least, make a friendly phone call. Just a thought...

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
quote:
Perhaps if in town, your PH would be so kind as to pay the taxidermist a vist on your behalf. Or, at the very least, make a friendly phone call. Just a thought...

Yes, Bill exactly... thumb